Wedding setup - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old October 21st, 2011, 05:01 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Re: Wedding setup

I can actually shoot 2 hours on one 16GB on the GH2, but I probably should pick up some more just in case.
Are Transcend Class 10s fast enough for the GH2?
Thomas E. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 12:28 AM   #47
Trustee

Pretty much any class 4 or higher card is fast enough as long as you don't hack the camera. Hacking typically bumps up a datarate to make the quality higher so it needs faster cards. If you don't plan on hacking your camera then class 10 is really a waste. You may copy files a bit faster to your computer but it will not make your footage look any better.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 09:25 AM   #48
Regular Crew

Thanks. I'll probably just pick up some 32GB Transcends Class 10s on Black Friday since they're actually cheaper than the Class 6 cards. I'm definitely not going to hack the camera for a wedding shoot for stability reasons.

I'm still looking into buying a steady cam for the reception. So far I'm liking the Glidecam HD1000.
I should think it would be OK for my GH2 since the largest lens I'll be using is the Oly 45mm.

Does anyone here use the HD1000?
Old October 23rd, 2011, 11:19 AM   #49
Inner Circle

I don't use it, but have read countless reviews, watched many videos, and read every comparison thread I could find.

If you go to the B&H website you will see the largest issue with this and all stabilizers is that many people after initially buying them can't get the hang of them and then blame the stabilizer.

The bottom line is the Merlin is considered to be more pro, and better built, but slightly trickier to balance. The HD1000 is considered a bit easier to use, but some don't like it's build quality, while others say it's very good.

It is the one I would get, but I don't know if you're ready for a stabilizer, but that is up to you. I personally would have my camera gear nailed down before buying a stabilizer, but that's just me.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 12:58 PM   #50
Major Player

Yeah HD-1000 is great, small, light, unobtrusive, so you can use it in many situation, I use it all the time, I like it so much I bought another one, the key is to spread the weight far apart as far as it goes then balance it right, then practice makes perfect.
The only negative is you will have to rebalance it often if you bang it around a lot, tiny bump can put it out of perfect balance, even when you are using quick release plate, and if you remove the camera and put it back on, it could sill goes off a little.
Old October 24th, 2011, 08:05 AM   #51
Regular Crew

Thank you both for your suggestions. I think I'll go with the HD1000, but I'm probably going to wait until I after I get the rest of my gear.

I also saw something called the Flycam Nano, but from what I've read it's not built nearly as well as the Glidecam.
Old October 24th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #52
Trustee

Hey Thomas I'm not sure how many outdoor weddings you shoot but you should really consider getting some faster lenses. I shot a wedding this weekend for a friend. We had a Sony EX1 a Panasonic HMC40 and a GH1 there. I finally broke down this weekend and bought the Panasonic 45-200mm lens. Best Buy was selling it in California for $260.00 which is close to the best price I found on Amazon so I bought it. The lens looked gorgeous along with all my other Lumix lenses but indoors it was next to useless. Granted it was a very dark venue at night but my 14-45 and 45-200 were useless. My 20mm Pancake however saved the day and kicked the living crap out of my HMC40. The only downside of course is the total lack of zooming and the horrendous auto focus on that lens. It bit me in the but a couple of times. Another friend with the EX1 could only stay for the Ceremony.

All of this made me even more think about just ditching both the GH1 and the HMC40 and spending the bucks on a 1/2" chip camera. Yes they cost a lot more but are well worth it. Trying to juggle between the flexible video camera and a more sensitive DSLR is a pain at a wedding. If I did weddings that would really be on my mind right now. Since I mostly do scripted work I'm fine with the GH1 for now but the next time a friend asks me to video tape their wedding I think I might just rent a EX1.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 01:37 PM   #53
Regular Crew

I actually did buy some faster lenses. I posted my newest setup on page 3.
I'm selling my 14-45mm and buying a 14mm f2.5, 20mm f1.7, and a 45mm f1.8. The AF on the 45mm is supposedly lighting fast, so I think it'll work well for the manned camera.
I'll probably keep the 45-200mm for other purposes since I realize that it's not nearly fast enough for indoor work.
Old November 7th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #54
Regular Crew

I got the 45mm today. Love it so far.

It turned out that the AVTP tripod's tilt was no good, so I had to send it back.
I picked up a Manfrotto 560-B monopod, which I'm hoping to use for the ceremony and to switch between it and a Glidecam for the reception.
Thomas E. Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series