Need Advice . . .What Lens should I get? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old November 4th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #1
New Boot

Need Advice . . .What Lens should I get?

WOW . . . I am editing my first wedding shot with my new GH-2 and I cannot believe the difference compared to what I was shooting before. I purchased the GH-2 with the 14-140mm/F 4.0-5.8. I am so pleased that I am ready to get another one but I want a different lens. What lens are you using with your GH-2 and why do you like it? If you have any links for me to go along with your comments I would love to see them. I am thinking versatility is going to be key as I shoot in day and night situations frequently for the same wedding.

Thanks for any input you can give!

Chris
Chris Mier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Need Advice . . .What Lens should I get?

Faster lenses without a doubt.

pancake 20mm f1.7
Any other lens f2.0 or lower. They are expensive but night and day compared to the f3.6 and slower lenses.

DSLR's are typical more sensitive then traditional video cameras but it is the lenses that are a problem currently. Typically you will only find non zoom lenses that are faster then f2.8. This is why many of us consider a GH2 + a decent video camera a better option. Get as bright of a video camera as you can for those back of the church shoots where you will want to zoom.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Interesting Lumix lens review by Barry Green here: My take on the Lumix lenses I've bought for the AF100 and GH2
Old November 4th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Philip Bloom says:
Which lenses for your GH1/ GH2/ AF100/ AF101 etc…? | Philip Bloom
Shem Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 12:55 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Phillip Bloom's article is outdated, but interesting nevertheless. The 12mm F/2.0 and 45mm F/1.7 M4/3 lenses were not yet available for the GH2, and those lenses are complete game changers for the wedding shooter.

I shot an entire reception this evening using only a the Olympus Zuiko 12mm F/2.0 and the Panasonic 45mm F/1.8. My new XA10 was nearly worthless in comparison. I ran it for audio only tonite.

There are three lenses that I use on my two GH2s and one GH1, for wedding and receptions. 20mm F/1.7 and the two mentioned above. The 45mm F/1.8 has become indispensable to me. It is fast, and a perfect length for first dance, etc. and bouquet and garter, when used along with the 12mm.

For a zoom, for the GH2 you cannot top the two F/2.0 offerings by Olympus for a wide aperture or quality of glass, at least with this camera. But they are very expensive.

The 7-14mm F/4.0 is a very fine lens, but useless for weddings, as is the 14-140mm. Anything slower than F/2.8, for indoor wedding work is no good, as has been mentioned.
Old November 5th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Chris, when you ask for lens advice, you will get advice from two types of shooters: A. Wedding videographers B. Non-wedding videographers.

Non-wedding videographers usually do not have a full appreciation for the low light needs of a wedding videographer, and will often recommend lenses that may be truly great lenses outdoors, or in controlled lighting environments, but not in a pitch-black reception venue.

When you read advice from those, such as Thomas or myself, who preach about the importance of faster lenses, F/2.8 or preferably f/2.0 for weddings, our opinions are often based on first-hand experience.

Case in point: I bought the GH2 with the 14-140mm lens for my first GH2. It was no good for weddings. There were those who thought I was mistaken or didn't know how to operate the camera, because the camera itself is good at high ISO. So they asked why I needed faster lenses.

Eventually when some of those people tried similar lenses at a wedding, particularly at a reception, they came back and were asking for advice on faster lenses. Just a word to the wise.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; November 5th, 2011 at 12:39 PM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 10:47 PM   #7
Trustee

If you have some manual skills you may want to check out some old Canon FD lenses. I have a 50mm f1.8 that is super sexy. I paid $30.00 for it which was a cheap investment for fast glass. Of course 50mm cannot be used everywhere but it really helps. I think you can get a great Canon FD prime at 135mm at f2.0 still which is not bad for that reach. That is about as far as the 14mm to 140mm lens and a heck of a lot brighter. Yes primes can be a pain but if you have more then one camera I would leave one locked down to get those tight shots if you can. I also bought a FD 70mm to 210mm constant f3.5 that weighs a ton and is virtually impossible to shoot without a very good tripod. f3.5 is not great but when you consider any other 200mm lens is going to be around f5.6 that is pretty darn good. Of course I'm sure I'll never find a use for it but oh well it was also only $30.00.

Just something to think about.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #8
New Boot

Thanks to all for the input. I LOVE the 14-140 outdoors (being in FL we have lots of outdoor weddings) however I was not pleased with the lower light footage that I got at the reception (NOISE). I REALLY want the Olympus 12mm f/2.0. BUT for financial reasons I am going with the pancake 20mm f/1.7 already have my 2nd GH2 ordered from B&H and my friend happened to be getting rid of his pancake lens (more savings. . . yay!!) Eventually I am going to take the leap to the Olympus 12mm and with the pancake I feel like I will have good low light versatility.

Thanks to all again!
Chris Mier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #9
Inner Circle

The 20mm F/1.7 is a great lens. You could shoot an entire wedding with it in a pinch.
Old November 10th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #10
New Boot

what would you say about the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5?
In comparison to the 20mm f/1.7 and/or Olympus Zuiko 12mm f/2.0 and to use for weddings / non-weddings...
Michael Pekic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #11
Inner Circle

No comparison for wedding work. 14mm is a very nice lens, and would be very useful in many situations. But when you end up in dark venue for the reception, the 14mm would show it's weakness. You could get by with it, using lights, of course, but I find my 12mm F/2.0 is as slow as I will go most of the time.

I have a F/2.8 zoom and only use it in brighter circumstances.

As a wedding shooter, the f/1.7 is a necessity, not a luxury. For a wide lens if you want 12mm you can buy the third party 12mm f/1.6 which is similar price of 14mm and much better, but it's all manual.

Bottom line for wedding shooters: We often get slower less expensive lenses thinking we can make them work, and always find out we need faster ones.
Old November 10th, 2011, 04:22 PM   #12
New Boot

is your mentioned 45mm F/1.8 from Panasonic or Olympus? I'm wondering because i cannot find one from Pana, but Olympus...Panasonic has a 2.8 with 45mm...
Michael Pekic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Check B&H. Look for Panasonic 45mm f/1.8 or google it. VERY nice lens. At a reception you could get by with it real well. Auto focus, even in the dark, is instant. Colors are excellent.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 10:46 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Here's a question for the group... apropos, given the subject: How many lens adapters do some of you more experienced shooters with the GH2 carry? I see a plethora of lenses mentioned--most of which are not Panny lenses. Do all of the Panny/Pentax/Olympus lenses have the same mount that can be attached with NO adapter? Trying to get my ducks in a row before I head out to pick up some additional glass for my new GH2!
Rule #1: Don't sweat the small stuff. Rule #2: It's ALL small stuff!
Terry Wall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series