HELP THE NEWBIES THREAD.....please. - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old January 11th, 2012, 05:40 AM   #106
Major Player

Re: HELP THE NEWBIES THREAD.....please.

Thank you Bill !

Yes a great time for creative people. What great tools are available for every venue nowadays.
Wish I were 21 again. Just imagine what's coming in the decades ahead.

Jeff
Jeff Hinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #107
Major Player

UPDATE:

Ive been playing with my two new cams for a couple of weeks now (GH2 & XA10). Trying to get familiar enough with them to have the confidence to shoot weddings.

The XA10 was the easiest to work with because of prior experience with video cameras. The GH2 has taken longer, but I feel I have a good handle on it now. I still have to check and recheck if I lay off a day or two, but using it will become easier with more experience. I actually love shooting with the GH2, although I know I should use the XA10s as run and gun during weddings. I can have "fun" with the GH2 at the receptions, knowing the wife is backing me up with XA10s. I love shooting with the Panny 25mm 1.4, the video looks nice.

My goto on the GH2 is still the Program Mode if I want less stress...thanks to Jeff Parker's advice. Im getting better shooting in manual and A,S too. In studio Ive got some good shots/clips with the GH2 with both the 25mm and the 14-140 kit lens. But I would not feel confident using anything other than P or auto during a ceremony. Takes too long for me to set exposure/focus.

Im rambling now....

Thanks for all the help from you guys/gals. Im hooked on both the GH2 and the XA10... good investments IMO.

Jeff
Old January 22nd, 2012, 07:51 AM   #108
Major Player

Jeff - glad to hear that your equipment choices have worked out for you. My journey has been similar, and decided to complement my GH1/GH2 with a Panasonic TM900 (instead of the VG20) for quick reaction/run & gun stuff.

My challenge is a little different from yours. I have had the GHs longer, so I am more comfortable with them - while I find myself a little frustrated with the camcorder's control layout. I have even thought about sending it back a couple of times.

I'll get over it, but there's a reason why people who grew up with camcorders like camcorders and people who grew up with still cameras like DSLRs.

Let us know how the weddings turn out.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 01:05 PM   #109
Major Player

Hey Bill,

Actually, I love to use the GH2 more than a camcorder....Im just not good enough with it yet...especially for run and gun. I just love the feel and small size of using the GH2.

The XA10 (always used the larger XHA1), is a great little camcorder, you may want to check it out. The video matches nicely with the GH2, and the XA10 is easy to operate and user friendly.

For weddings, during the ceremony, I will use two XA10s as the "A" cams and the GH2 for a wide shot of the ceremony. During the reception I will put the GH2 to work, and let the wife shoot with the XA10...in case I screw up. ha

The GH2 is my "A" cam though for music videos,stills, and studio work. I wish I knew more about photography. I've gained a lot of respect for photographers by working with the GH2

Good Luck with your projects,
Jeff
Old April 4th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #110
Major Player

UPDATE:....

Nothing has changed...XA10 for video and GH2 for stills and "B" video cam at weddings.

I love using the GH2 and loving photography "more' than video...thanks to the GH2 learning curve.

I almost purchased a Canon 5Dmkii, since I'm liking photography so much...but I'm gonna give myself another year with the GH2...maybe the GH3 or 4 will be out by that time.

anyway...life is good.
Happy Easter to All,

Jeff H.
Old April 4th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #111
Major Player

I'm still getting used o the GH2 Jeff. Follow focus on it is giving me a fit in run and gun. My eyes just aren't that sharp anymore. I do love the little camera for video but I'm glad I kept the 7D.

I've found as you said, the XA10 AND G1O blend beautifully with the GH2's video. Very little post to get a match.
Don Litten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #112
Major Player

Yes, no way I can use the Gh2 for run/gun for events such as weddings. Like you, I have to use the VF most of the time. I've tried a loupe but it did not have a diopter. I find the LCD screen useless in sunlight even with sun shade. XA10 for R & G, Gh2 for stills & controlled movie clips.
Old April 5th, 2012, 12:57 PM   #113
Inner Circle

The GH2 is just too fidgety for run and gun although I have managed. I used it last night for a play and had a devil of a time with the follow focus as I was placed in the front row off to the side. The LCD with or without a diopter, is just not sharp enough for accurate follow focus. The viewfinder is the only reliable way, however after an eighty minute play I found a puddle of breath condensation on my tripod plate! Still, it's a beautiful image.
Old April 6th, 2012, 02:23 AM   #114
Major Player

@William...
Ha...on the condensation/perspiration :>)
It would be great if the VF extended back a little further.

If the GH2 only had focus peaking like the Sony Nex 5n & 7 run and gun would be less stressful. Ive used focus peaking on the 5n and it really helps.

Im sticking to the XA10 for R&G, maybe with more practice, my focusing skills with the GH2 will improve.
Old April 6th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #115
Major Player

Everyone has a different definition of run and gun Jeff.
For me, autofocus is a must but for others manual focus is manageable. It really depends on what's being videoed and if you can use both hands and or have the time to concentrate on the subject.
Don Litten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #116
Inner Circle

The face recognition auto-focus is very nice but it tends to vacillate too much for video in low light situations. It would be nice to have it track faces but only engage the lens when the operator presses the shutter button.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series