My first political demonstration with the GH2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:06 AM   #1
Major Player

My first political demonstration with the GH2

I've been doing marathon testing with this little camera and this afternoon it's going on it's first real shoot. This has the potential to turn nasty (I love them).

II'll have my XA 10 locked on the speakers, 12 GoPro's in static positions all over including 4 on the protst pole for a 360 degree view.

The G10 on my shoulder rig, 7D with 100-400 for stills and the GH2 with a 24m Nikkor wide angle lens on a Monopod with the feet opened. It's set up for the high detail shots of individuals misbehaving.

2 H4N's will round it out.
Don Litten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 07:10 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: My first political demonstration with the GH2

I was a little disappointed. It was an orderly and peaceful demonstration about 3 hours long. I got bored.

The GH2 was magnificent. I'm hooked.

I tried two patches. Sanity 4.1 and Driftwood"s Mysteron. Not a glitch out of either.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 01:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I hope you had a few helping hands!
Old April 3rd, 2012, 05:04 AM   #4
Major Player

No, I've gotten used to doing it myself Adrian.
The GH2 did take a little extra fiddling with the lens I was using, but it was worth it.

Since there weren't any counter protestors, I didn't set the GoPro's up. I just use them to catch what's happening while I'm busy with another shot. (I missed a stabbing once and it still irritates me)

The only real complaint I had with the GH2 was the audio. It was weak. I record secondary audio, but I'm not sure the camera is good enough to sync to.
I'll fiddle with that today.

It's the time of year for Tax Protests and the GH2 should fit into my event kit very nicely especially if I get a lens that will autofocus on my Merlin.

The newest Patch Driftwood came out with has great 720 and in 24P has the cleanest low light I've ever seen.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 01:24 PM   #5
Major Player

Don - Sounds like fun! Glad the GH2 is working so well for you. Curious about the weak audio, though - I have found that to be true with the internal mic, but not with a good shotgun or lav. Where did you set the audio level?

Best,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Last edited by Bill Bruner; April 3rd, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Major Player

I had it wide open Bill but the shotgun was on the H4N and the GH2 was just using the camera mic.
It's strange though. It picks me up very well when I make inappropriate comments, but barely gets a sound ten feet away. Almost as if it was directional in the wrong direction.
Old April 4th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #7
Major Player

Please post some of the GH2 and XA 10 clips...I have those cams.

Jeff H.
Old April 4th, 2012, 01:58 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Well that's quite a lot to set up and tear down on your own. I take my hat off to you. The mic on the GH1/2 is even better for camera commentary if you pop the flash, but more or less useless for anything else. I have a ton of footage, with a soundtrack that sounds like Dart Vader snoring in a paper bag. Great if that is what your going for!
Old April 4th, 2012, 03:04 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hinson View Post
Please post some of the GH2 and XA 10 clips...I have those cams.

Jeff H.
I have a short clip with the GH2 up now. I was showing the detailing of the patch to someone. I'll put up more and XA clips as I get time (I'm in the sticks and high speed is a running joke). There's some jutter and other things that Vimeo was nice enough to add for me.
This is straight up with no post.

Old April 4th, 2012, 06:17 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Litten View Post
I had it wide open Bill but the shotgun was on the H4N and the GH2 was just using the camera mic.
It's strange though. It picks me up very well when I make inappropriate comments, but barely gets a sound ten feet away. Almost as if it was directional in the wrong direction.
You're right, Don - the on-camera mic is completely useless. Sadly, if you crank the mic level up, you don't get more mic sensitivity - all you get is a higher noise floor.

What I do is set the mic level to "1", the lowest setting, turn the Zoom on, then pump the line/headphone out from the recorder into the GH2 with a Sescom cable designed specifically for connecting Zoom recorders to GH cameras. That way I usually get two pretty good tracks. The preamps in the camera are OK - I think it's just the mic that's bad.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 12:36 PM   #11
Major Player

Jeff, This isn't protest related but I've been testing Driftwood's Mysteron Burst in the GH2.
Thought you might like to see it and yes, it's handheld...and unplanned.

Old April 4th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #12
Major Player

This is one from the 10 Jeff. Sorry they're short but my bandwidth is pretty narrow anyway, but we're having a storm.

Old April 4th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #13
Major Player

Thanks so much Don.....
The video looks really nice on the Great Dane clip....I could not get the protest clip to play...will try again later.

I look forward to viewing any clips you have time to post.
Jeff

They all play now...........all are really nice looking.
What zoom lens were you using...looks motor driven with autofocus..right? ...or is that clip the XA10
Old April 4th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #14
Major Player

That's the XA10 Jeff. I've tried to upload a longer clip 3 times now and gotten bumped off.

The Great Dane clip is the GH2. As one of the Personal View idiots pointed out, it's out of focus. I was more interested in seeing if it would record more than 10 seconds.It did this time but it's a very temperamental patch.

I'll get more of both cameras uploaded as soon as I can.
Old April 4th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #15
Major Player

This a little longer one. You asked about autofocus...yes, I was using it. It helps with the shoulder rig in a crowd.
I have no idea what's up with Vimeo. Everything I've uploaded has juttered.

Don Litten is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series