5DtoRGB - wow! This really helps. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old January 2nd, 2012, 08:04 AM   #1
Major Player

5DtoRGB - wow! This really helps.

Very much enjoying using the GH2 but alongside my XF300 (with 4:2:2 codec) one thing you really notice is the colour sampling.

Enter 5DtoRGB by Rarevision

This free software that solves most issues for me, especially in the reds (lips are a biggie). It takes a few minutes to download and test for yourself, well worth it.

After a quick test of the free version I'm going to upgrade to the paid version (with batch processing).

A few screen shots attached showing my test scene, the software, and a 200% upscale of a problem wallet: one shot shows a Clipwrap transcode to Prores 422, the other a (superior) 5DtoRGB transcode.

Along with the wallet, issues with the CF card, apple and drawing were also fixed. Yay!
Attached Thumbnails
5DtoRGB - wow!  This really helps.-5dtorgb.png   5DtoRGB - wow!  This really helps.-scene.png  

5DtoRGB - wow!  This really helps.-wallet.png   5DtoRGB - wow!  This really helps.-wallet-rgb.png  

Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: 5DtoRGB - wow! This really helps.

Thanks for the recommendation. I went ahead and downloaded the software but have not been able to convert my GH2 1080i footage to DNxHD in the QT wrapper (I'm on a PC so ProRes won't work for me).

5DtoRBG saw the input file's framerate as 59.94i and set the default conversion rate to 29.97. When I tried to process the file at 29.97 or 59.94 I got an error message to the effect that there was a size mismatch and that the video needed to be either 720 or 1080.

When I set the conversion framerate to 23.976, however, it processed just fine.... BUT the audio and video were out of sync in the processed file in my editing application (Vegas) and I had to manually speed up the playback rate.

Converting the footage to DNxHD in the .avi wrapper at 29.97 did not result in an error, but I was unable to play the file in Windows' Media Player or in Vegas (I installed the DNxHD CODEC before installing 5DtoRGB).

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong??
Guy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #3
Trustee

The advantage seems to depend on what NLE you use. Adobe CS5.5 actually does a very good job up converting AVCHD material. I did a comparison and honestly the up converted chroma looked about the same. Performance wise it does help a lot but there are better optimized formats other then Prores when using CS5.5 on a Mac.

The PC version of 5DtoRGB seems to not have as many features as the Mac version. At least in the free version. The PC version did seem to convert much faster however when using bootcamp on my Mac. That may be due to the lack of chroma filtering since the option wasn't there.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 04:39 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Smith View Post
Any ideas what I may be doing wrong??
Sorry Guy, I'm in Pal land, so a simple 50i to 25p conversion takes place. I haven't had to deal with NTSC frame rates myself.

Thomas, yes I've heard something along these lines. It makes a big difference with Final Cut, both 7 and X.
Old January 6th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #5
Major Player

Is there any way to batch process this? Otherwise it's rather useless for me...
Old January 6th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #6
Major Player

Yes, as mentioned in the lead post, it's in the paid version
Old January 7th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Is the process still dog slow? I tried 5DtoRGB a long while ago for converting 5DII video but it was so much slower than using MPEG StreamClip or Log & Transfer for no appreciable benefit that I gave up on it.

Secondly as noted isn't this just a problem with FCP & converting to ProRes? We moved over to Premiere Pro & have been editing native DSLR footage so don't need to transcode any more.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #8
Major Player

I can't comment on Premiere pro, but certainly reds are an issue with FCP whether you convert to prores or not.

Yep, it's much slower than clipwrap, but apparently that's because of the additional analysis/work it's doing.

Whether it's worth it depends on the scene for me. But if the reds are bleeding it makes a huge difference, at least in FCP.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series