Issue with GH2 - Stops recording randomly with "write speed" issue.. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old September 10th, 2012, 11:34 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Issue with GH2 - Stops recording randomly with "write speed" issue..

Was the camera hacked before this ??? Did you install the new firmware virgin, or did you need ptool to get it installed ??? What size are these cards ??? How close to spanning on the files ??? Is this still just happening with your Lumix 25mm or has it happened with other lenses now too ???
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #17
Major Player

Only happens when im using the 25mm, so odd. Also uh, card size, 64 gb, and two 32 gbs.
Yeah I had the hack before and no issue. I honestly think its the lens. Thats so weird though?
James Palanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #18
Regular Crew

OK, this is pure speculation... It's probably not the lens, BUT...

Auto-focus lenses communicate with the camera body computer and also derive power from the camera body for focus and iris control.

It is theoretically possible that a malfunctioning lens, or a lens with a bad connector, could be sending too many messages and/or errors and thus overwhelming the camera's processor. The "write speed" error in that case would only be a symptom. The software sees that it can't keep up, and blames the card, when something else is actually amiss.

It is also theoretically possible that a lens which draws too much power can cause write glitches (writing to a card requires a minimum voltage) and those write errors are being misinterpreted as "write speed".

Regardless, you should keep testing with various lenses and see if it is at all possible to reproduce with other lenses, which would rule out the 25mm scenario. It would also be helpful to borrow or rent a 2nd GH2 which has never been hacked, try the suspect lens on it with a completely new card that has never been in your camera. If the problem still occurs, then it may vary well be the lens!

Finally, when testing for write speeds (as a general case), note that greater motion and image complexity can increase the bitrate. (24Mbps is a maximum variable rate, not a constant. The hacks can go higher of course, but not all the time.) Do your tests by filming complex images such as colorful leafy trees blowing in the wind, or do rapid pans across a complex scene. Lots of detail and lots of motion will tax the system and if there are write speed errors, this will be more likely to reproduce them.
Bob Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #19
Major Player

Building off of Bob's discussion of voltage, the other component to check and eliminate would be the battery. Do you have multiple batteries and if so, any reproducible affects while using one over another ??? In other areas I have experienced where batteries have sufficient voltage but under a draw, they puke out.

Something else to consider as it could be one thing, or a combination of variables, the lens, battery and load.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I too had problems with Patriot and ADATA card with the hack. Also those card are falling apart on me.

For very important shoots I use the RawSteel card from HoodMan. Works great.

It Is In The Cards » FrugalFilmmakers.com
Old September 12th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #21
Major Player

I'm going to be giving both batteries and a second GH2 a try, certainly a good way to rule out the lens. Excellent suggestions.
James Palanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #22
Major Player

I'm not sure if this has been asked James, but what brand and model card are you using,
If you try a Sandisk Extreme or extreme pro card and are still getting these errors, look elsewhere because it isn't the card.
Don Litten is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series