DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   GH3: Buzz buzz b-buzz (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/510714-gh3-buzz-buzz-b-buzz.html)

Jeff Harper September 17th, 2012 05:41 PM

Re: GH3: Buzz buzz b-buzz
 
Could any photo camera that is not full frame size could be considered anything more than consumer oriented? This is a consumer camera. I understand that for our own benefit as pro shooters it would be nice to have the benefits of pro gear, but it is not reasonable, IMO, to imagine that a inexpensive camera such as this be considered pro, not by a long stretch. Just my two cents.

Terry Wall September 17th, 2012 06:34 PM

Re: GH3: Buzz buzz b-buzz
 
Alas, Jeff, you're probably right, but one can dream, can't one? And if/when they go to full frame, we can probably expect the price to double.

~TW

Dan Carter September 17th, 2012 07:19 PM

Re: GH3: Buzz buzz b-buzz
 
Seems to me "Pro" relates to the photographer/videographer not the gear.

William Hohauser September 17th, 2012 07:34 PM

Re: GH3: Buzz buzz b-buzz
 
If this camera was reconfigured say as an AF-200 video camera, that would be in the pro division. A pro video camera doesn't need full frame. On that topic, aside from SDI out, who needs the AF-100 anymore?

Nate Haustein September 17th, 2012 07:52 PM

Re: GH3: Buzz buzz b-buzz
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 1753931)
On that topic, aside from SDI out, who needs the AF-100 anymore?

I do. For the NDs, waveforms, zebras, variable frame rates, long-life batteries, XLR inputs, form factor, connection points and video-friendly layout. Don't get me wrong, the GH3 looks awesome and I'd probably pick one up as a B-cam for the 1080p60 alone I just don't think that the image quality will be so much better that I'd be willing to sacrifice the simplicity of a purpose made video camera like the AF100. Shooting on a day-to-day basis (I have a shoot every day this week), the features are just too valuable for me to give up.

HOWEVER! I could see the GH3 working really well as a special purpose cam. One that can be mounted easily for interesting angles, one for steadicam work, one for slider and jib work - anything that cuts down on the amount of heavy duty grip equipment. If the sensor is truly improved as much as people are hearing about, low-light and high-contrast scenes could also benefit from the cam. And if the high-bitrate makes a difference, scenes with lots of motion or fine detail. It would also be nice for me to have a second angle that more or less matches the color and depth of field of the AF100.

Don't tell anyone, but I have my eye on a C100 with a GH3 for the 1080p60. Could be an interesting combo...

Ronald Jackson September 18th, 2012 02:13 AM

Re: GH3: Buzz buzz b-buzz
 
On "pre-order" offer here in the UK, body only, at 1500 odd, that's about $2,250! We famously get ripped off compared with the US on lots of imported stuff. Okay 20% sales tax (VAT) might not help but a helluva lot for what seems to being marketed as a consumer cam albeit one with a few features appealing to pros or the more serious amateurs. I mean, 23 "Scene Modes" including "Cute Dessert". What the hell's that and who the hell wants it?

I'm interested in one of these, or a hacked GH2, as a lightweight alternative to my XLH1 plus nanoFlash. Wildlife video so I wonder if the GH3 has the "Ex. tele.conv." facility like the GH2 has. No mention in any of the specs I've seen but then according to a friend who has a GH2 there's a lot hidden away (well hidden) in the camera manual which takes a bit of de-constructing. Also like to know how the 50bit or 72bit codec blends into my XDCAM/Pro-Res footage out of my nanoFlash.


Ron

William Hohauser September 18th, 2012 06:06 AM

Re: GH3: Buzz buzz b-buzz
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Haustein (Post 1753932)
I do. For the NDs, waveforms, zebras, variable frame rates, long-life batteries, XLR inputs, form factor, connection points and video-friendly layout. Don't get me wrong, the GH3 looks awesome and I'd probably pick one up as a B-cam for the 1080p60 alone – I just don't think that the image quality will be so much better that I'd be willing to sacrifice the simplicity of a purpose made video camera like the AF100. Shooting on a day-to-day basis (I have a shoot every day this week), the features are just too valuable for me to give up.

HOWEVER! – I could see the GH3 working really well as a special purpose cam. One that can be mounted easily for interesting angles, one for steadicam work, one for slider and jib work - anything that cuts down on the amount of heavy duty grip equipment. If the sensor is truly improved as much as people are hearing about, low-light and high-contrast scenes could also benefit from the cam. And if the high-bitrate makes a difference, scenes with lots of motion or fine detail. It would also be nice for me to have a second angle that more or less matches the color and depth of field of the AF100.

Many of those items serve me well with my JVC HD cameras but the trade off between the GH2 and AF100 versus the price made the AF100 not worth the expense since I could duplicate most of those functions for less money and get extra lenses. If Panasonic announces an AF200 that includes the improvements of the GH3 yet doesn't raise the price from the AF100, I would be very, very interested. But right now I could get a GH3 body and already have enough lenses but if I can't get a clean HDMI out, nope.

Thomas Smet September 18th, 2012 06:33 AM

Re: GH3: Buzz buzz b-buzz
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronald Jackson (Post 1753970)
On "pre-order" offer here in the UK, body only, at 1500 odd, that's about $2,250! We famously get ripped off compared with the US on lots of imported stuff. Okay 20% sales tax (VAT) might not help but a helluva lot for what seems to being marketed as a consumer cam albeit one with a few features appealing to pros or the more serious amateurs. I mean, 23 "Scene Modes" including "Cute Dessert". What the hell's that and who the hell wants it?

I'm interested in one of these, or a hacked GH2, as a lightweight alternative to my XLH1 plus nanoFlash. Wildlife video so I wonder if the GH3 has the "Ex. tele.conv." facility like the GH2 has. No mention in any of the specs I've seen but then according to a friend who has a GH2 there's a lot hidden away (well hidden) in the camera manual which takes a bit of de-constructing. Also like to know how the 50bit or 72bit codec blends into my XDCAM/Pro-Res footage out of my nanoFlash.


Ron

On Panasonic's website which lists oodles of details and specs they clearly list ETC working and even have a chart that lists the different factor levels depending on recording format.

Adrian Frearson September 18th, 2012 08:54 AM

Re: GH3: Buzz buzz b-buzz
 
Been following the rumours and release over the last few days. This looks like a really good update to the line and Panasonic are going in the right direction. It really does seem as though they've tried to create a mini AF100 ( minus XLR, ND etc. ) and judging from the videos I've seen, the gradation in the highlights does seem to be improved. Hoping that the new processing/sensor/codec codec helps the banding issue and low light noise. With the lens package, looks a great deal.

On the XLR issue, imaging resource have said that Panasonic will introduce an XLR adapter, which should feed into the 3.5 jack. I guess any XLR adapter will work anyway, but it's another option.

" On "pre-order" offer here in the UK, body only, at 1500 odd, that's about $2,250! "

Wex have it at this price, but the MSRP I've seen is 1099/1200euro body only. Hopefully they'll rectify their "mistake" once they've creamed a few desperate pre orders :-)

Don Litten September 18th, 2012 12:08 PM

Re: GH3: Buzz buzz b-buzz
 
I've been reading about the UK prices. That is waaaaay out of line for that camera.
In 6 months or so it will come down to about $1,000.00 here which is about right.

Kevin Janisch September 18th, 2012 02:49 PM

Re: GH3: Buzz buzz b-buzz
 
Ergonomics alone may be worth it to me. Handheld with the GH2 is just as bad if not worse than handheld with the Canon XL2.

Thomas Smet September 18th, 2012 03:47 PM

Re: GH3: Buzz buzz b-buzz
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian Frearson (Post 1754022)
Been following the rumours and release over the last few days. This looks like a really good update to the line and Panasonic are going in the right direction. It really does seem as though they've tried to create a mini AF100 ( minus XLR, ND etc. ) and judging from the videos I've seen, the gradation in the highlights does seem to be improved. Hoping that the new processing/sensor/codec codec helps the banding issue and low light noise. With the lens package, looks a great deal.

On the XLR issue, imaging resource have said that Panasonic will introduce an XLR adapter, which should feed into the 3.5 jack. I guess any XLR adapter will work anyway, but it's another option.

" On "pre-order" offer here in the UK, body only, at 1500 odd, that's about $2,250! "

Wex have it at this price, but the MSRP I've seen is 1099/1200euro body only. Hopefully they'll rectify their "mistake" once they've creamed a few desperate pre orders :-)

While audio recording on the GH3 may still not be perfect the additions are huge. With the GH1 and the GH2 we virtually had no way of controlling the audio or checking to hear what kind of audio was going into the camera.

1. 3.5mm input jack now means no more microscopic audio adapters with a flimsy connector. Still not perfect but 3.5mm can be good if you treat it right.
2. Supposedly better audio level controls. We still need to see what this means but if it includes manual level adjustment we can finally record audio without the AGC jacking up the levels when somebody stops talking.
3. 3.5mm output jack to hook up to headphones or external sound system. This is huge because we can finally hear how the audio going into the camera is going to sound. We just could not do that before without recording a clip first.

So we can now actually feel like we can run decent audio through the GH3. It will not be the same level of audio as a high end video camera with independent XLR audio channels but it is a massive step in the right direction and honestly almost worth the upgrade price alone if you shoot event video. With these features hooking up a XLR to 3.5mm type device actually would now work since you can tweak the audio levels and listen with your headphones what you are getting in the camera.

It is crazy how liberating something as stupid as a headphone jack can be.

William Hohauser September 18th, 2012 03:59 PM

Re: GH3: Buzz buzz b-buzz
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Janisch (Post 1754090)
Ergonomics alone may be worth it to me. Handheld with the GH2 is just as bad if not worse than handheld with the Canon XL2.

Once I attached the Varavon LCD EX-Supporter loupe, the GH2 became very stabile for handheld, even with non-stabilized lenses. I assume that the same will be true for the GH3.

Jeff Harper September 18th, 2012 04:32 PM

Re: GH3: Buzz buzz b-buzz
 
Thomas, the GH2 does have audio input control, the recommended setting is on 2nd bar. I use it always, and no issues for wedding work. I use mics with switches that offers me further control For loud environments I hit the minus switch, and for softer I put the mic on +, and it works really well. True there is no headphone jack, but for general purposes, especially since I use my cams and 3rd and 4th cams, they work just great.

I"m sure things will be much improved on the GH3, but I'm used the GH2 for a variety of projects, and it's come through every time.

Kevin Janisch September 18th, 2012 05:00 PM

Re: GH3: Buzz buzz b-buzz
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 1754118)
Once I attached the Varavon LCD EX-Supporter loupe, the GH2 became very stabile for handheld, even with non-stabilized lenses. I assume that the same will be true for the GH3.

I think my biggest gripe is with the miniscule hand grip. It appears that the GH3 grip solves this issue for me.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:46 AM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2021 The Digital Video Information Network