Two channel audio recording - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old October 15th, 2012, 08:21 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Two channel audio recording

Thanks for ll of you.
So, I can setup my Sennh G2 lav to my Zoom and the Rode videomic to the camera? Or both to the Zoom and I don't even need the Rode?
Also, I need the H4n or the H1 is enough?
Thanks
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 08:35 AM   #17
Inner Circle

I don't understand why you need or want to hook your wireless to the zoom.

Just use a shotgun on the camera. That's one audio track.

Then use the Zoom (H1 shoud be fine) as a recorder. Put it wherever you want to and then record the performance.

Later you download the zoom file and bring it into your editing program just like you do a video file.

How you manage the audio file when you edit is a separate issue, but pretty easy to deal with.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #18
Major Player

I recording from the band or the DJ's output. In post I edit the mic's and the board's out, so the final audio is very clear. This is how I recording live events always.
Old October 15th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #19
Regular Crew

My $0.02...

The camera's mic preamp can be quite noisy when used with an external microphone and it seems to be related to the microphone's output impedance. Trying to get rid of the noise is very difficult because it happens across a broad spectrum, not just in the high frequency range.

I have a Sennheiser MKE 300 shotgun, 600 Ohms - noisy
My Sennheiser G2 wireless, 600 Ohms - noisy
Audio Technica 835b shotgun, 300 Ohms - noisy
Audio Technica Pro 70 lav 150 Ohms - dead quiet

I was about to dump my Sennheiser MKE 300 until I tried it on the Zoom H1 - absolutely clean.

I also tried my G2 system with the Zoom and it was also noise-free. (sold the AT shotgun so I didn't try it).

Someone recommended using the Zoom's built-in stereo mics instead of the shotgun. After purchasing the Zoom H1 I did a quick test and found that in a quiet environment (my home) the Zoom's built-in mics picked up sound as well as the Sennheiser shotgun from 3' out to 10' - and it was stereo, not mono.

You've received several suggestions here on how to use the Zoom. IMHO all the suggestions are quite good; the method you choose will depend on your preference for a given situation. Just know that the Zoom is an excellent tool and well worth the money.

FYI, I also considered the BeachTek adapter but went with the Zoom so that I'd have headphone outputs to monitor the audio that was being fed to the camera. If a cable was not plugged in all the way or had a mechanical issue that was causing noise the camera's audio meters could show that audio was being recorded and you'd have no way of hearing that there was an issue with it.
Guy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #20
Inner Circle

The Zoom is cheaper than the correct Beachtek for the GH2 (at least when I bought it). I tried the Zoom as an on-camera mic, didn't work out so well. Too clumsy. I might be shooting a small concert this week and the Zoom's on board mics will make a much better room recording than my excellent Rode mike plugged directly into the camera. The only problem is finding a safe place to mount the Zoom away from audience noise.
Old October 15th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #21
Major Player

Thanks for all of you. I already purchased today a Rode videomic and look like I'll order a Zoom H1 from B&H.
This way I can try my self.
Thanks again for all of you.
Laz
Old October 24th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #22
Major Player

William, what do you mean by the "correct" Beachtek. I notice there is the DXA pro and the DXA 5D, with a big price difference.
I have Sony wireless mics and a Rode NTG 2.
I would prefer the beachtek as it has more versatility, but not sure if I need the "pro" version.
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Beachtek offers a battery powered adapter that sends out a signal that overrides the AGC on the camera so you can get stabile audio levels. It's not worth it to me if I can get a backup recording in a better quality audio file for less. Plus route the audio to the camera just like a Beachtek.

Last edited by William Hohauser; October 25th, 2012 at 12:36 PM.
William Hohauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #24
Major Player

For field recording as a ENG type set up (radio mics and Rode) I'm split between a zoom and a beachtek. Currently I just plug into XLR's on my Z5 and monitor on headphones, but I'm unsure about which option and what model for the GH2 - zoom HN1 or H4n or beachtek DXA 5d or Pro.
Any suggestions as it seems pretty 50/50 on this thread.?
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #25
Inner Circle

The Beachtek is ergonomic in that it attaches to the camera and you can leave it on forever where the Zoom is another device that you have to worry about setting up, cables, pushing buttons, syncing up, etc. That's a big plus for the Beachtek.
Old October 25th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #26
Major Player

Thanks William,
I'll probably go with the Pro version as I like the ability to see levels and monitor from the camera. It is more expensive but audio recording is not something I want to save money on. I think you get what you pay for.
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series