Macro lens options for video work, cheap vs expensive. Ideas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old December 21st, 2012, 05:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Macro lens options for video work, cheap vs expensive. Ideas?

So I'm trying to build a little setup for when I want to shoot macro video of rings and such at weddings. I hear great things about the lecia 45mm but it is like 600 dollars and thats a lot more than id like to pay for something im using for only 1 or 2 specific shots.

I read about the Vivitar 55mm f2.8 as well as the Vivitar Series 1 90mm F:2.5 Macro Lens 1:1 Macro. The 55 is about less than half the cost of the 90mm.

If I would go with the 90mm and the 1:1 macro addition, im at about 380 and now we are getting close to dedicated brand new m4/3 macro lenses such as the Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 60mm f/2.8 Macro Lens.

I'd like to also be able to put this on a little orbiting dolly so I can get table top movement shots.

Is there any reason I should be considering the newer more expensive options? What about macro lens adapters I could just slap on my 25mm 1.4? Or is there some benefit to having a 90mm macro lens over the 55mm?
James Palanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Macro lens options for video work, cheap vs expensive. Ideas?

James,

A cheaper alternative would be to use extension tubes, which reduce the minimum focusing distance. If you don't get the ones with electrical pass-thru connections the camera won't be able to control the lens though. Just a thought...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/859014-REG/Kenko_AEXTUBEDGM43_DG_Extension_Tube_Set.html
Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 06:25 PM   #3
Major Player

Even cheaper, get a set of close-up lenses that simply screw onto your existing lenses. They come in various strengths (diopters) from +1 to +10. You can find a set for $20. They won't be as sharp as a dedicated macro lens, but for $20, it's a no-brainer addition to your kit.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Now that's what I'm talking about. Will give that a shot.
James Palanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 11:34 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Compared to the 55mm, the 100mm is going to give you more room to shoot (and light) your subject.
I've got the Kiron 105mm f/2.8. It can be had quite reasonably. Even cheaper and equally sharp is the Nikon 55mm f/3.5. Mine are Nikon ai mounts. The build on these old lenses is fantastic and you also get the wonderful full macro focus range for accurate focus closeup. As macro lenses they are specifically designed for the job.
Stephen Brenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 11:55 PM   #6
Major Player

So many choices :) I think going a little bigger length wise is the best call for now.

Last edited by James Palanza; December 22nd, 2012 at 01:23 AM.
James Palanza is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series