Confused about which types of lenses I can use for GH2/3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old December 15th, 2012, 06:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Confused about which types of lenses I can use for GH2/3

Have done some googleing around which types lenses I can use for the GH3 but cant find what types work (can only find lists of specific lenses). If there is a good article about his let me know, otherwise here are a fe questions.

1) Can I use all lenses which are referred to as 'micro four thirds',micro 4/3 or m4/3? Wlll all the features (aptitude, auto focus...) work for all lenses?

2) Will all autofocus Olympus fit lenses work fully (does autofocus work).

3) Will all autofocus Panasonic lenses work fully.

4) Canon EOS lenses can be used with an adapter but the camera can not control the aptitude so a adapter with aptitude blades must be used like Olympus OM lens to Micro 4/3 Adapter EP2 E-P2 E-P1 PEN | eBay.

5) I guess Nikon fit and Canon EF lenses will work with the appropriate adapter?

6) What about Sony NEX lenses?

Regards,
Ben
Ben Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 07:22 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Confused about which types of lenses I can use for GH2/3

plenty of information here

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=c...w=1366&bih=676
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Inner Circle

All lenses on the following chart will work with the GH1-2-3.

This chart lists every single lens that can be used natively, or with the Panasonic adapter. Lenses that require the adapter are noted in a special section: Four Thirds Lens (Coupled with mount adapter DMW-MA1) (*11)

Lenses such as Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony all require adapters. Different lenses require different adapters which are made by various manufactures.

Compatibilities of DMC-GH2 | Compatibility | Digital Camera | Product Support | Support | Panasonic Global

Some users would consider the Olympus Four Thirds lens below the single greatest lens available for the camera, along with the longer version. These two lenses cover most common focal lengths, from 12mm to 100mm between the two. If you wanted to save yourself a lot of time and grief, you could buy these two lenses and you would pretty much be done with lens shopping. For me personally, were I to own these two lenses, I would need nothing else. The lens listed below is exceedingly difficult to find used at a reasonable price, so if I were interested I would snatch it up immediately.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/private-...3-adapter.html
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks, computability was the word I was looking for.

Computability chart is useful, shame it only has model numbers for some lenses, would be nice to know focal length/f stops etc. (just spend some time on the Panasonic website looking for model number for 14-140 without luck, '14 140 lens' returned lots of lenses but not the one I was looking for.

Regards,
Ben
Old December 15th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Ben, its not complicated it just seems that way. Look on the Panasonic site for Lumix lenses, they all fit.

All 4/3 lenses and M4/3 lenses on the Olympus site will work, the 4/3 need the adapter.
Old December 15th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Edwards View Post
Thanks, computability was the word I was looking for.

Computability chart is useful, shame it only has model numbers for some lenses, would be nice to know focal length/f stops etc. (just spend some time on the Panasonic website looking for model number for 14-140 without luck, '14 140 lens' returned lots of lenses but not the one I was looking for.

Regards,
Ben
Yes- the codes are a little bit of a challenge, but there's a method to the madness:

The model number for the 14-140mm is H-VS014140
The model number for the 14-4mm2 is H-VS014042
The model number for the 20mm is H-H020
The model number for the 14mm is H-H014
etc.

If you use the model numbers, you should go right to the lens page. That said, here is the complete Panasonic lens lineup: Digital Interchangeable Lenses and Conversion Lenses | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bruner View Post
Yes- the codes are a little bit of a challenge, but there's a method to the madness:

The model number for the 14-140mm is H-VS014140
The model number for the 14-4mm2 is H-VS014042
The model number for the 20mm is H-H020
The model number for the 14mm is H-H014
etc.
Also if there is a PZ in the model number then it is a power zoom. There are two of them a 14-42mm & a 45-175mm. They have a little button on the side of the lens but if fitted on the GH3 can even be zoomed remotely from an iPhone.

The two Olympus zooms that Jeff mentioned are AFAIK the only F/2 zoom lenses available for any brand of camera. Panasonic have recently come out with a 12-35mm F/2.8 & 35-100mm F/2.8 which are more affordable than the Olympus zooms & also have image stabilisation.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #8
Trustee

I just replaced the 14-42mm "kit" lens that came with one of my GH2's with a slightly used 12-50mm Olympus Zuiko lens found in B&H's used dept. There is one other left there at $369:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800902195-USE/Olympus_v314040bu000_12_50mm_f_3_5_6_3_ED_M_Zuiko.html

Outdoors in reasonable light this is all the lens I need as a "walkaround". It has a half life size macro mode, power zoom, and works on the GH2 like it was made for it. Being a full frame equivalent of 24-100mm it has a very useful range.

Indoors or night city scenes I use a Lumix 20mm f1.7, and the Olympus 45mm f1.8.

Makes for a very flexible outfit. I've also collected the Lumix 14mm f2.5 wide angle, the Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 25mm f1.4, and the Lumix 45-200mm zoom for when I need longer reach.

All are Micro Four Thirds lenses and the Olympus m4/3rds lenses function on the GH2 like they were made for it.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
I just replaced the 14-42mm "kit" lens that came with one of my GH2's with a slightly used 12-50mm Olympus Zuiko lens found in B&H's used dept. There is one other left there at $369:

Used Olympus 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 ED M.Zuiko EZ V314040BU000 B&H

Outdoors in reasonable light this is all the lens I need as a "walkaround". It has a half life size macro mode, power zoom, and works on the GH2 like it was made for it. Being a full frame equivalent of 24-100mm it has a very useful range.

Indoors or night city scenes I use a Lumix 20mm f1.7, and the Olympus 45mm f1.8.

Makes for a very flexible outfit. I've also collected the Lumix 14mm f2.5 wide angle, the Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 25mm f1.4, and the Lumix 45-200mm zoom for when I need longer reach.

All are Micro Four Thirds lenses and the Olympus m4/3rds lenses function on the GH2 like they were made for it.
Can I assume you made the change to get the extra focal length?

I discovered that a new lens is $399 at B&H until December 24 and if you need adobe lightroom or photoshop elements, the combined price is less than the used lens and software combined plus shipping is free:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/835398-REG/Olympus_V314040BU000_12_50mm_f_3_5_6_3_ED_M_Zuiko.html
Bill Strehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #10
Inner Circle

For $200 more you can have the Olympus 14-54 F/2.8-3.5, a much faster lens, FYI.
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Strehl View Post
Can I assume you made the change to get the extra focal length?

I discovered that a new lens is $399 at B&H until December 24 and if you need adobe lightroom or photoshop elements, the combined price is less than the used lens and software combined plus shipping is free:
Olympus 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 ED M.Zuiko EZ Micro 4/3 V314040BU000
I placed my order before that $100 price drop took place. Oh, well.

I did do it primarily for the extra wide angle and the added tele but also for the power zoom and half life size macro capability. It's a very useful general purpose lens and I'm happy with it.

I also "nabbed" one of the used GH2 bodies they had. Price dropped from $539 to $399 on the 9+ condition sample they had. They also priced the one other 9 condition body at $399. I know the new bodies are now going for $499 but since I have a GH3 on pre-order, that $100 made a difference for me.

It came in today and looks new, still had original firmware so I put Lpowell's Flowmotion 2.02 on it and all seems well.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 01:12 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post

Used Olympus 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 ED M.Zuiko EZ V314040BU000 B&H

Has that lens really got a power zoom? It doesn't say anything about it in the specifications. AFAIK the only two lenses with motor power zoom (they have a little button on the side to operate) that will fit the GH2/GH3 & other MFT cameras are the http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/818960-REG/Panasonic_H_PS14042K_Lumix_G_X_Vario.html and the http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/818956-REG/Panasonic_H_PS45175K_Lumix_G_X_Vario.html
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the replies, was looking at

Sigma 19mm f2.8 EX DN - Micro Four Thirds 4/3rds Fit | eBay

Sigma EX DC Macro 18-50mm f2.8 Lens 4/3 Fit (Olympus / Panasonic) | eBay

I read somewhere the autofocus does not work during iideo on (at least some) of the sigma lenses. Is this true?

Ben
Old December 19th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Ben check the compatability list, it will tell you which features will and will not work for each Sigma lens. If the Sigma lens is not on the list then it's not compatible.

The 19mm is not on the list at all. The zoom lens you mention is not the II series version so I would not bother with it. I've had the zoom in the series II version, it worked but I would strongly suggest the Olympus equivalent instead. It's a MUCH better lens and works much better with the camera.

Why not a Panasonic 20mm F/1.7? It's a no brainer if you're looking for that focal length. If money is an issue I would save up, unless you just can't afford it. The 20mm is made for the camera and is an incredible value, IMO.
Old December 19th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Hang on, the 19mm 2.8 is on the list, well it seems to be.

I use a Rig and will be getting a Matt box so from my understanding a pancake lens is not a good idea.

Ben
Ben Edwards is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series