Confused about which types of lenses I can use for GH2/3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old December 20th, 2012, 07:43 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Confused about which types of lenses I can use for GH2/3

The 19mm might be on the list, but I can't find it, sorry if I missed it. Sorry, I've had two Sigmas for wedding work, the 30mm F/1.4 and the 18-50mm F/2.8 and I was glad when I sold both of them. They are not bad lenses, they just do not compare to lenses made for the camera, in my opinion. I've owned about twenty various Canon's and Sigma's from the Canon 85mm F/1.2L to the Sigmas and I'm down to three lenses now. If I bought a zoom it would be a Panasonic or Olympus.

Your particular needs might be well served by the Sigmas, good luck with whatever you buy. I found the journey expensive and painful rather than fun until I was able to narrow down my lenses to the Pansonic and Olympus lenses, it made my life so much easier. I spent thousands of $$$ on lenses 90% of which I sold, so I'm glad that chapter is over, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I know that some of us, unlike me, enjoy playing with lenses and trying out various things, it's just not my personality, and I don't shoot as a hobby, which is a shame, really, as I've lost much of the joy of shooting with my backlog of work over the last several years. I'm cutting back this year, I hope, and slowing down and will start playing with wildlife stuff this spring, I hope.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #17
Major Player

I agree Jeff, it's fun playing with legacy lenses but not for work. I have panas and Olympus plus one Canon FD 35-105 F3.5 on a second body for back-up work. I have yet to have a job where the client/producer is not pushing for the next shot or location. I don't mind that, but like you, don't want to overcomplicate things unecessarily, so yes, stick to Pana and Olympus and use legacy primes like Nikon or Canon for creative projects where time is on your side.
I'm looking to sell some more lenses and go for the new 35-100 pana F2.8. So I'll have the 45mm F1.8 and 12mm F2 OLympus plus the zoom - that is plenty.
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
The 19mm might be on the list, but I can't find it, sorry if I missed it. Sorry, I've had two Sigmas for wedding work, the 30mm F/1.4 and the 18-50mm F/2.8 and I was glad when I sold both of them. They are not bad lenses, they just do not compare to lenses made for the camera, in my opinion....
Jeff - FYI - the new Sigma

and

are not adapted/manual lenses - they are fully automatic micro 4/3 lenses and the only two Sigmas that are made for the camera :)

Best of the holidays,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #19
Major Player

Jeff

I'm about to spring for a GH2/3, haven't decided which and have done a fair amount of reading about lenses. Given you've done the rounds, I'm curious to know which 3 lenses you settled on. And any you'd definitely advise against.

Thanks
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 11:42 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Thanks Bill. I vaguely remember talk last year at Sigma re: m4/3 lenses, didn't know they were out.

Jase, I settled on the 12mm F/2.0, the 25mm F/1.4 Lumix, and the 45mm F/1.8 Lumix.

I owned the Olympus 12-60mm F/2.8-4.0, and I still regret selling it, it was fun, though cumbersome. That lens is very high quality. I did not enjoy using Canon FD lenses at all, had a few of them, and I did not care for the 4/3 lenses by Sigma, as I mentioned above.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 04:04 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Edwards View Post
Hang on, the 19mm 2.8 is on the list, well it seems to be.

I use a Rig and will be getting a Matt box so from my understanding a pancake lens is not a good idea.

Ben
Just to add to the confusion. If you're using a Mattebox, some of the native lenses telescope when zooming, which can be a problem. The newer micro 4/3 lenses like the 35-100 are internal zoom and nice to use, but expensive. If you're on a budget, you could get a budget kit lens (14-42 ) and pick up some old legacy lenses and adapter for them on ebay for not much money ( old manual focus Minolta and m42 lenses are a good bargain at the moment ). Once you've got a feel for what you like, have a look at upgrading the kit, to something that works for you.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series