Poor man's XLR to GH2 adapter - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 5th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Poor man's XLR to GH2 adapter

Thanks for providing the audio samples, Bill - very helpful! Your results are significantly better than what I got with my 8035. Still more hiss than I'd like, but it likely wouldn't be noticeable when used in situations with even a small amount of ambient sound.
Guy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 12:49 AM   #17
Major Player

"I'm editing in Premiere and "think" any stereo track has to be worked with as a whole. If the 2 channels can't be separated then if I am off shooting away from him I guess I will need to unplug the LAV input from the mixer for those shots."

Ron, In Premiere, select the clip in the project manager, than go to: Clip>Audio>Breakout to Mono. You will get the original track with the stereo track and 2 completely mono tracks as well. If dragging a mono track onto the timeline doesn't work, (because the tracks might default to 'stereo' tracks, drag the mono tracks to the empty space below the audio tracks in the timeline window and new mono tracks will be created. They will be independent tracks so once they are aligned with the video select and right click all the tracks and 'link' them so they'll stay in sync.

Sorry if I'm posting a bit late...
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #18
Trustee

AT versus Azden: Shotgun versus Stereo Cardioid?

Bill, I always find your thoughts useful.

In the case of the microphone demo, you are comparing a mono shotgun microphone to a stereo cardioid microphone. Of course the former is better-suited to a talking head video; the stereo cardioid is supposed to pick up ambient sound, the shotgun not. And that is what you hear - more ambience from the Azden. This has nothing to do with pro versus amateur or balanced versus unbalanced (as you know, the distances for this demo were short anyway). I am not arguing that the AT mic is worse or better, only that this was an apples-oranges comparison.

If you recorded a horn quintet, the stereo Azden would very likely provide better audio than the mono shotgun.

The key for good audio is more picking the right kind of mic and mic placement for the situation, not so much the quality of the mic (that matters too). In this case (of a talking head), a $29 unbalanced lavalier might have done even better than the shotgun.

Last edited by Mark Rosenzweig; February 10th, 2013 at 08:41 PM.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #19
Major Player

Thank you for the thoughtful comment, Mark. I have found your posts to be very helpful and informative as well.

I take your point about pickup pattern and stereo vs. mono, but the published specs tell the story for these two mics.

The Audio Technica's signal to noise ratio is 70dB, while the Azden's is 60.

The AT's frequency response is 40-20,000kHz, while the Azden's is 100-18,000 (you can hear the lack of bass from the Azden in the test).

As one might expect, the AT835's specs show a nice cardioid pickup pattern with minimal sidelobes and good rejection of noise from behind the camera. The frequency response chart is also very clean, with a smooth bass rolloff and flat response across the frequency range.

Because the Azden is a consumer mic, it is a challenge to find an illustration of the pickup pattern or a frequency chart, but Azden's specs call it "uni-directional", so consumers should reasonably much expect better off-axis rejection of room noise.

I don't think I'd record music with it :)

Cheers,

Bill
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 09:22 AM   #20
Major Player

I did my first sound test on the GH3 last night by running an audio signal into the mic input to simulate an external pre amp. Unless I'm missing something, there doesn't seem to be a way to set the input to line vs mic. To set workable levels I set the camera audio to 1 and controlled the input with the audio player.

A couple of observations. When you get anywhere near 0dbfs (to my ear it sound like -10-dbfs) there is a limiter that is triggered which kills dynamic range. Best settings seemed to be about 60% of max input or less which bypasses the limiter. Also, there is a noise gate that masks hissing. At first I though the GH3 had a dead quiet mic pre but it was just the noise gate cutting of the input when it didn't hear a signal. The GH3 input creates a lot of hiss. I doubt the signal to noise ratio is more than 60 and for me there's too much hiss to use the camera audio for any pro projects. If it had a quiet line stage you could use an external pre but with its current configuration that doesn't seem possible.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I have been using my Rode Video Mic Pro, Sennheiser Wireless plugged directly in to the camera. Also the JuicedLink DT 454. Here is my video tests. An Early Present, The GH3: It Sounds Real Good » FrugalFilmmakers.com
Old March 1st, 2013, 05:58 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Hey, Bill! I really like your rigging--and step-down configuration to get to 2.5mm, while minimizing noise. I think I'm going to replicate it. Hopefully, I can pick up a GH3 this Summer, and, like you, forego the GPM-467. Thanks for the tip!

TW
Rule #1: Don't sweat the small stuff. Rule #2: It's ALL small stuff!
Terry Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 09:12 PM   #23
Major Player

Glad to be helpful, Terry. This is really turning out to be a good value for money setup, but the AT835 is a little long. I'm looking to sell it and buy a:

-

- http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/406900-REG/Denecke_BELT_CLIP_for_Denecke.html and

- $80 Denecke phantom power.

Pro quality mic with a balanced output and 48V phantom power for $260. Not bad :)

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 09:50 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I already have the Sennheiser ME66 and 67 with the K6 capsule, so I'm good to go in that area! The '66' should work well as it's the shorter of the two.

Cheers,
Terry
Rule #1: Don't sweat the small stuff. Rule #2: It's ALL small stuff!
Terry Wall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series