Has anyone had problems with this lens (Panny 14-50mm)? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 1st, 2013, 09:48 AM   #1
Major Player

Has anyone had problems with this lens (Panny 14-50mm)?

The lens below really looks great (Panasonic 14-50mm, f2.8/3.5), but I've read some complaints that the zoom can get permanently stuck at 22mm after a couple years usage. Does anyone know if this issue has been fixed?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/550043-REG/Panasonic_L_ES014050_14_50mm_f_2_8_3_5_Vario_Elmarit_Aspherical.html
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2013, 10:35 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Has anyone had problems with this lens (Panny 14-50mm)?

Yes, the sticking happens. No idea if they've solved the problem on newly produced lenses. Luckily, the fix costs $0, provided you have a small philips screwdriver (which you should anyway):

1. remove the rubber zoom ring
2. remove the two metal stripes carefully
3. remove the screws which are direct in sight
4. now you can pull the front ring backwards carefully
5. you can see three more screws on the inner barrel of the lens. In my case, all these screws were loose
6. tighten the three screws - add low-strength LocTite (purple) if you like
7. re-assemble in the reverse order of the above steps

Because it sticks due to loose screws, you can usually get it to move to full zoom out by simply tilting the lens until the screws aren't causing an obstruction.

Not very difficult in the realm of lens repairs, and it's a bitchin' lens. It's my standard zoom on AF100 for quick jobs. Wonderfully sharp with gentle Leica-esque out of focus areas... at 28mm, I prefer it to my Elmarit-R 28 prime. Zoom and focus are delightfully smooth. OIS functions well. Great range, reasonably fast.

Downsides: the aforementioned loose screws, lots of plastic in the build, AF is slow enough to effectively not exist, aperture isn't constant (unless you count it as constant f3.5 with "bonus speed" on the wide end), relatively large, fully electronic focus and aperture, needs an adapter, unreasonably expensive new (although often available cheap used - especially if you find someone offloading a "broken" lens)

Despite my positive review, I'm not certain I'd get one now unless it was an exceptional deal... with the forthcoming SpeedBooster purported to work with DX lenses, the prospect of turning the mechanically and optically good Tamron 17-50/2.8 non-VC into an effective 12-35/2 is ridiculously attractive.
Old February 1st, 2013, 07:32 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the info, Kevin. How do you remove the rubber zoom ring?
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:37 PM   #4
Major Player

It simply slips off

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series