Micro third lens/fd lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old August 22nd, 2013, 02:27 PM   #1
Trustee

Micro third lens/fd lens

Ok so Im new to Panasonic, Bruce foreman swayed me!! Thanks Bruce... Now help. So the more I use the g6 Im loving the look. I'm used to canon 60d and like the look, but I got to admit the Panasonic is easier to use and sharper for sure. I also love the wb & colour where the 60d always gives a golden bronze effect almost yellowy that I have to always sort out.
I use three 60ds with two zacuto finders but as I now know using the g6 with the kit lens with ois gives me excellent results just holding with the view finder tight to my eye. As far as I can see I don't even need my monopod or rig...So lets say I move to a gh3 with the g6.The kit lens 12-42 for video will be ok in daylight with the 45-150 but I no dam well I always need my 1.4 lens 50mm and sigma 30mm for weddings indoors in England always dark. Also these kits lens whilst good I still love the bokeh the canon lens give me at 2.8 and under.
Do I go with a canon eos to m4/3 adapter and use what I have or get some more m4/3 lens? If so the latter I have heard the new PANA 12-35 2.8 is horrible for video with a tripod effect fault.. the 30-100 2.8 ok, but what lens is the best for low light...What about stabilization for the low light lens and if no stabilization I presume monopd needed which I have.
On the other side of things I have read that canon FD lens are better with the adapter to m/43 lens than the eos to m/43. If this is the case im looking at 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8 and what do everyone else use?? help...
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 05:50 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Micro third lens/fd lens

Quote:
I have heard the new PANA 12-35 2.8 is horrible for video with a tripod effect fault..
Huh? I was about to get that lens, whats a "tripod effect fault"?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 05:54 PM   #3
Major Player

The Lumix 12-35 f2.8 is actually a fine lens, and the fastest zoom you'll get with OIS from Panasonic. The "tripod fault" was overblown, and fixed months ago with firmware.

Personally, it is my favorite. Often the only lens I use.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:58 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
Do I go with a canon eos to m4/3 adapter and use what I have or get some more m4/3 lens? If so the latter I have heard the new PANA 12-35 2.8 is horrible for video with a tripod effect fault.. the 30-100 2.8 ok, but what lens is the best for low light..

Trust Dan Carter on this. You can pretty much trust anything he says, too. A lot of wedding guys are using the 12-35 in combination with the 35-100 and getting very good results. Definitely get some m4/3 lenses, there's some very good ones in that system.

Quote:
What about stabilization for the low light lens and if no stabilization I presume monopd needed which I have.
The Panasonic zooms have stabilization, primes don't so your monopod will come in handy. Adapted primes will need it too.

Quote:
On the other side of things I have read that canon FD lens are better with the adapter to m/43 lens than the eos to m/43. If this is the case im looking at 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8 and what do everyone else use?? help...
There's some very good FD lenses, the adapter is simple and inexpensive. I'm testing out a Rokinon 8tmm Cine lens in Nikon F mount with a $17.95 adapter. So far it looks very good.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 01:41 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks Dan, pheeew. Will get that one and sell the kit lens, Will get the 30-100 also and sell the 45-150, having said that its not bad in good light I may keep that one. 20mm 1.7 and a couple fd lens on the radar... Cheers Bruce also..Noa sorry to scare you, dan fixed it.. Love this new plan...
Old August 23rd, 2013, 05:04 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Thanks Dan, pheeew. Will get that one and sell the kit lens, Will get the 30-100 also and sell the 45-150, having said that its not bad in good light I may keep that one. 20mm 1.7 and a couple fd lens on the radar... Cheers Bruce also..Noa sorry to scare you, dan fixed it.. Love this new plan...
Checkout these guys from Poland who make fine M4/3 adapters:
Canon FD FL to AF101 AF100 G2 G3 GF3 E-PL3 GH2 E-P3 micro 4/3 adapter | eBay

I'm going to pick one of those up as well as a B4 to M4/3 from them!
Rob Hargreaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 06:19 AM   #7
Trustee

Cheers Rob, I went and bought this and it works great, I then ordered a eos to m/43 but that got a little stuck on my 50mm 1.4 canon lens, eventually I got it of so im sticking with the 50mm 1.8 fd lens with this adapter and going to get a 24mm 2.8 or 28mm 2.8 fd and save up for the 12-35 m/43 lens. cheers steve

Metal Adapter Ring for Canon FD FL Lens to Canon EOS M EF-M Mount Camera DC329 | eBay
Old August 29th, 2013, 05:30 AM   #8
Trustee

The polish adaptors are far and away the best - it's all I use now. I have a stack of FD lenses and they come out as soon as the sun goes down.

a good start would be the 50m f1.2, 85m f1.2, 100m f2 - great lenses & great prices.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series