not original gh3 battery grip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old August 20th, 2013, 10:48 AM   #1
Inner Circle

not original gh3 battery grip

I was planning on getting a batterygrip for the gh3 but Panasonic Belgium charges 440 dollar for it (21% tax included) which I find a very high price for a grip. But I saw there are some Chinese not original versions to be had for a lot less, found one on Ebay with a batterygrip, 2 batteries and a charger for 98 dollar AND free delivery to my doorstep! I have no idea how they do that...

This same combination would cost me 770(!) dollar in Belgium, I used to have a very cheap no name brand batterygrip for my 550d with 2 fake batteries as well and they have worked without any issue in more then 2 years, I am not expecting the same performance on battery capacity but I mean, for a 670 dollar price difference? I only hope the battrygrip works more or less decent, I know that sometimes the indication of what is left on your battery is wrong on these fake batteries but after a while you know how long you can shoot before it's time to exhcange. Think I"ll take the risc ans see what these Chinese products are worth.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 06:05 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: not original gh3 battery grip

I think you have to take a chance at that price - Just have it set to use grip battery first and it should be fine: at least if you have a genuine Panasonic battery in the body itself, you can rely on that in case the grip battery drains suddenly.
Ryan James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 07:00 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thx for the tip of setting it to use the batterygrip battery first, wasn't aware this was possible. I received the grip yesterday, works without a issue so far but need to see how long the batteries will last.
Old August 28th, 2013, 08:56 AM   #4
Regular Crew

It's a handy setting - also, I think it may be possible to swap out batteries in the grip without losing power in camera - Will have to double check that though, don't have camera to hand at the moment.
Ryan James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Noa, may not be an issue with your grip, but for the GH2 I had a chinese grip and after a few months the camera got really weird on me suddenly at a wedding. Forget the symptoms but it was so bad it freaked me out. I took off the grip, and the problems went away. I threw it out.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I just have to keep my fingers crossed then :) I need the battery grip mainly to add extra weight to the camera so it balances better on my steadicam, there is a on/off button on the grip so I guess it should be possible to decativate it so it only takes the battery inside the camera, in the worst case I could cut off the connectionpins on the grip and leave the grip on, I have noticed that the batterylife is much longer then on my canon 550d.
Old August 29th, 2013, 01:30 AM   #7
Inner Circle

It's likely that as with the Canon grips that the GH3 grip will be an exact copy of the 'proper' one. Rumour has it that Canon copies are actually made on t,he same production line on the night shift. There was no GH2 grip from Panasonic so no opportunity to piggy-back on Panasonic's engineering R&D.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series