Wannabe GH2 owner....but should I be?! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old August 27th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wannabe GH2 owner....but should I be?!

Hi,

Been a while since I have been on the forum but know it is a brilliant source for info so here goes.

Used to be an EX1 owner but for various reasons ended up selling the kit. Been getting the bug to shoot again and have been checking out the DSLR market. Can't really afford a GH3 but have seen a few GH2's on eBay going for fair prices.

Before I jump I need to know some real basic stuff, so forgive me for what I am about to ask!

I have an intel 2008 Mac Pro with the two quad core processors.

Firstly will I be able to edit GH2 footage on this? Read from some sources that I may need a newer Mac! (Yikes)

Will I need to buy a card reader to get the footage off the camera into the computer?

Lastly, what's the score regarding editing the footage natively? If I do have to convert to a friendlier format for editing will I lose the quality?

Again, I apologise for such basic questions but I have been out the game for a while. I have researched this stuff but as we all know the web can be a bit murky so I know I can get what I need from the people on here.

Many thanks guys...I'm crossing my fingers in the hope I can get what seems to be an amazing piece of kit!
Darren Ruddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Wannabe GH2 owner....but should I be?!

I know next to nothing about Macs, but I edit the 50mbps 1080p 50 fps footage on my single quad-core Intel, and it's not even an i7. A video card from nvidia (GTX ones too, for gaming) will make timeline scrubbing a joke, as well as accelerate quite a few of the most popular effects you usually apply to your clips, so you don't have to pre-render to see what your footage looks like with the applied effect.

As for getting a card reader and converting your footage... I have no idea, but I'm sure there are people here with Macs who can help!
Luc Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Luc,

Sounds like I might be ok with my mac spec, although my graphics card may need looking at.

Anyone here exclusively editing GH2 footage on Mac? I understand FCX handles the stuff natively? Not a fan of the program but if needs must....!
Old August 27th, 2013, 01:24 PM   #4
Major Player

You'll need a card reader. Any USB SD card reader... they're cheap.

If you edited EX1 footage on your MacPro, you'll be fine with AVCHD... just transcode to ProRes and all will move spiffily on the timeline
Old August 27th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Ah Kevin,

I'm getting happier with each post!

No loss of quality in the conversion?

My only real outlay (apart from the camera) could be the graphics card. Currently running a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT with 512MB of GDDR3......thinking this might not handle the footage too well???

Thanks Kevin by the way
Old August 27th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I have a MacPro 2009 eight core and the only thing that slowed FCPX down was the video card it came with which was a GeForce GT120. I upgraded that and it's been smooth sailing since. The Apple FCPX page has a link to which cards work so you can check. If your card is good to go, the GH2 AVCHD files work great in FCPX and you might come to like the program, so go for it.
Old August 27th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McRoberts View Post
You'll need a card reader. Any USB SD card reader... they're cheap.

If you edited EX1 footage on your MacPro, you'll be fine with AVCHD... just transcode to ProRes and all will move spiffily on the timeline
I've downloaded video and photos directly from a GH2 to a PC. The kit I got included the correct cable to connect the cam to a standard USB port on a PC. Not sure if the MAC has USB or not.

May I also recommend an excellent program for offloading files called "GH1 File Importer" from Phil Seastrand. There's a link to it here (PHOTOfunStudio Replacement). I recommend reading through the thread for some tips on how to use the program.

D

PS: Despite the name it works with GH2's and GH3's.
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks guys....top advice yet again.

Sounds like my graphics card may indeed struggle!
Old August 27th, 2013, 02:13 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Just checked on the FCX page and says mine does support.....dunno how well it will run but I can feel a gh2 purchase coming on..... If I can find one that is!
Old August 27th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #10
Inner Circle

If it were me I would buy a new G6 rather than a used GH2.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 03:18 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Nice idea Nigel.......tad too expensive for my budget. Just missed out on a GH2 for 450 with two lenses on ebay
Darren Ruddock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series