Any advantages of primes over the kit when stopping down? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old August 24th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Any advantages of primes over the kit when stopping down?

I'm new to the format (G6) and was considering purchasing some primes. I have, however, been pleasantly surprised at the quality of the kit 14-42 zoom. And given the escalating cost of primes, I'm wondering:

Strictly in terms of video, and assuming you typically shoot stopped down anyway, will I see any appreciable benefits from investing in primes (compared with the kit) in terms of sharpness, color, contrast, etc?

Do you think a 14mm or 20mm 1.7 (stopped down) would be redundant, or worth it? Thanks.
Kris Kohuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 12:48 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Any advantages of primes over the kit when stopping down?

I have the same lens and also the dirt cheap 14mm f2.5 pancake, I"m also surprised how sharp those lenses are. The only reason for me to get a prime lens would be to shoot in very dark environments or to be able to get a very narrow dof.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 04:40 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Kohuth View Post
I'm new to the format (G6) and was considering purchasing some primes. I have, however, been pleasantly surprised at the quality of the kit 14-42 zoom. And given the escalating cost of primes, I'm wondering:

Strictly in terms of video, and assuming you typically shoot stopped down anyway, will I see any appreciable benefits from investing in primes (compared with the kit) in terms of sharpness, color, contrast, etc?

Do you think a 14mm or 20mm 1.7 (stopped down) would be redundant, or worth it? Thanks.
Same boat as you Kris, just got the g6 with the double kit lens deal, 12-42 & 45-150... Both excellent lens. But if I move into the Panasonic world from canon for my weddings next year I will get the 12-35mm 2.8 with slightly better DOF. The 25mm 1.4 or 20mm 1.7 on my radar. But for stills I have just bought canon FD 50mm 1.8 with a FD to m/43 adapter and it is awesome and cheap at £20, then I bought a cheap EOS to m/43 adapter just to try and wow I can use my 50mm 1.4 canon and sigma 30mm 1.4 on the g6 with the adapter. Yesterday I took some pics and they look great, video a little jumpy but on a tripod or monopod very useable...The fd lens you can use av mode or manual and change aperture on the lens itself, the eos adapter and canon lens you need to set the lens in canon camera first at your desired aperture in my case 1.4 for low light then change the lens to your g6 with adapter. Attached are pics of my granddaughter yesterday with the fd cheap lens and the garden my 30mm sigma at 1.4 with the adapter. steve
Attached Thumbnails
Any advantages of primes over the kit when stopping down?-p1010712.jpg   Any advantages of primes over the kit when stopping down?-p1010717.jpg  

Any advantages of primes over the kit when stopping down?-p1010749.jpg  
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 08:57 AM   #4
Inner Circle

No, Kris. In my uneducated opinion, no advantage worth mentioning, if you are not going for the DOF afforded by faster primes.

If you do not need the superior light gathering ability of the fast primes, don't buy them. Don't forget that shooting with the primes you have the ability to obtain the DOF benefits at the lower apertures, but again, if you don't need or want that, you're good to go.

The 14-42 is not suitable for much indoor or any lowlight situations; if you are shooting in well lit conditions you are all set with your lens. It is an amazing lens, especially outdoors.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series