how to mount gh3/battery grip on steadicam pilot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old August 24th, 2013, 07:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

how to mount gh3/battery grip on steadicam pilot

Anyone tried to mount a gh3 with a battery grip on a Steadicam pilot? As you know the attachment screw on the battery grip is way off center. Have been looking for a plate to correct this, but in lieu of this was thinking of mounting the battery grip more or less permanently on the sled's mounting plate using the one screw on the slide and some light, screws tapped into the plastic housing of the grip....Yes, I know ,...goodbye grip for resale, but there is a lot of convenience in this. One can take the camera off very quickly and use it without the grip and while on the grip, the battery is very easy to change because it comes out from the side. Thoughts anyone?
Old August 24th, 2013, 07:55 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: how to mount gh3/battery grip on steadicam pilot

Not to question your use of the battery grip but how long do you envision using the GH3 on the Stedicam at a time? The internal GH3 battery lasts a really long time for me, in fact I have done 2 hour sessions of filming non stop and the battery seems like it has enough for another hour. I have never run out of power while I've had to keep at least two batteries ready with my GH2 for similar filming sessions.
Old August 24th, 2013, 08:05 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, I know the battery is pretty good, but I had a situation where I had to change it in the middle of a wedding. I had the gh3 mounted in a cage which in turn was mounted on a 501 quick release mounted to the sled's plate. Because of the position of the 501's release lever, I could not get the battery out to change it and had to unmount the camera while still flying. There was no one to help me. I vowed that it was not going to happen again and that I would have long battery life and a very easy one hand change of battery if necessary.
My main question is how to securely mount the battery grip to the sled's cheeseplate.
Old August 24th, 2013, 04:23 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Look into this: JOBY UltraPlate Quick Release Plate for DLSRs

I have never used one but it seems to have a way to offset the screw.
Old August 25th, 2013, 05:25 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks, I have ordered one. Price seems reasonable. I sure others will appreciate this information.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series