Panasonic Factory Service at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old September 6th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Panasonic Factory Service

Has anyone had GH3 problems that required factory service? If so how was your experience?

I have been trying to update my GH3 to the latest firmware (1.2) since August 8. After the first phone call the tech said that they have had problems updating some cameras and that he would send me a SD card with the new firmware. The wait time was to be 10 business days. 12 business days passed with no result. I called back, spent another 45+ minutes on the phone. Again I was told that a SD card with the new firmware would be sent to me. Today was 10 days later. I called back after a 35 minute conversation I was told that
a firmware update was not sent because they needed my proof of purchase to send a firmware update. The warranty is for 1 year the camera has been available for 8 months. You get the picture. I asked to speak to a supervisor. A 10+ minute wait and then I was disconnected. I called back asked to speak to a supervisor waited 45 minutes told sorry no supervisor is available. The tech said that they would send me the update in another 7 to 10 business days.

The original problem is that this camera will not remember either the Aperture or Shutter Speed in a Custom mode. Technical supports hope is that a firmware update will solve the problem.

My intention was to go from Canon DSLR's to MFT. The GH3 seems like the obvious choice. Equipment is of no value without service. I purchased a GH3, 3 lens and other accessories for over a $2,500 initial investment. For my needs the GH3 is still the obvious choice but quite frankly I wish that I had not made the investment.

I would love to hear what other peoples Panasonic customer support experience is.

Cheers?
Kent Jakusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 08:15 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Panasonic Factory Service

Panasonic service and support could definitely use some improvement. They repaired a GH2 that I dropped; it performs as new, the cost was reasonable, and the turn around was about two weeks. BUT...

Getting the product accepted for a non-warranty repair took a lot more time and effort than it should have. It can be difficult to reach someone at the service center, and their online repair tracking system is inaccurate - our GH2 was listed as either waiting for service or still in service the day I received it back from repair.

We just got a GH3. Beautiful camera. Hopefully I don't drop it...

Last edited by Guy Smith; September 10th, 2013 at 09:02 AM.
Guy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Since owning the GH3, I have had the send the camera in for two different reasons:
GH3 Great. OLED Dislplay Acting Up
and
GH3 GH3 Gave Me a Heart Attack Tonight

First of all, I find it discouraging that even though the camera is under warranty, I have to pay (myself) to send the camera back to Texas.
Secondly, the repair process has taken over 2 weeks and then I have to wait for return shipping...regular ground.

Well, I could handle that.

But the worst thing? The ENTIRE time, the online "Status Report" simply states "Serve Request Created." Not only did the online status never indicate they had received my camera, but they never updated the actually diagnosis or repair.
In fact, I received my camera back yesterday and the status report is still the same!!!

I try to call and after waiting on hold for a long time, I am simply told by a rep that the system indicates the camera has been received, but that is all! I told them it has already been received and is back in my hands and I would like to know what they did! The camera came back in an empty box with no repair slip or anything.
Ian Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Trustee

Mr. Panasonic, better listen to this concern or you may wake up one day soon having to prepare your presentation to your Board of Directors explaining why your market share and revenue dropped. If you don't pay attention to your product support, it will bite you - every time. People don't 'need' to buy from you.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series