GH3 Or G6? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old September 15th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #1
Major Player

GH3 Or G6?

Happy with my new GH3 and want to buy a second Lumix. Another GH3 seemed the answer but the G6 appears to have some attractive options in video mode, such as ETC in 108050/60p and, as I understand it, image stabilising technology that works irrespective of the make of lens.

I do though very much like the 50bit .mov mode in the GH3, which not available in the G6. How inferior would be the AVCHD/Mpeg format(s) of the G6? I would be editing in FCPX, normally with hardly any colour grading and the like.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: GH3 Or G6?

The g6 doesn't have build in optical image stabilisation, I think you are refering to the olympus em1? I have both th egh3 and g6 but just got them and only just started using them so I can only give a limited experience so far.

In terms of handling the gh3 is a much better camera, there are more buttons on the camera for quick access to different functions and when handheld the layout is also more logical. You can't hold the g6 normal without accidently pressing a button with the palm of your hand, in that respect my canon 550d had a much better layout as well.

It's ok for me as a b-cam to complement the gh3 but I much prefer the gh3 as it feels like a more solid camera. I also found that the gh3 produces sharper images in 50p which was something I noticed during my holiday when I shot some footage with both camera's but I will do some compatrison when I find the time.

The g6 does have some great extra like peaking, etc in 50p mode and a bit higher res lcd screen but if I had to buy again I would get two gh3's, another reason would be that I could use the same batteries.

About the difference between avchd 28mbs and ipb mov 50mbs, I at least don't see any difference but that's without pixel peeping, my last video was all shot in avchd 50p format and it didn't fall apart during color correction: ("https://vimeo.com/73974687")
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: GH3 Or G6?

Thank you Noa, another GH3 then. Makes one think that the GH4 w.h.y.will incorporate ETC in all modes, among other things. Moving in the direction of a 100% video camera perhaps.

Anyway can't live in the future, particularly at my age. Would like though a better range of MFT long lenses per my earlier post, a.s.a.p.!

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series