GH3: quick exposure mode change (and making DOF shallower) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old September 11th, 2013, 10:58 AM   #1
Major Player

GH3: quick exposure mode change (and making DOF shallower)

I often find myself changing between M mode and S mode for exposure. Last week I accidentally did something and up popped this little menu that allowed me to quickly change between M and S. But I have no idea what I did! Can anyone help me?

Also, are there any tricks you know of to make the DOF shallower? It doesn't seem as shallow as on Canon cameras. I know about opening up the iris, or placing the camera very close to the subject on wide angle... or using a telephoto lens. But is there something else I can do?
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: GH3: quick exposure mode change (and making DOF shallower)

The GH series imaging chip is smaller than the Canons which translates to wider DOF. Aside from what you have already mentioned the only solution is your choice of lenses.
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #3
Trustee

No idea what you did Bill, but William is right. Try to work at f2.8 if you have that lens and just adjust the exposure and shutter speed, if its bright you have a choice of adjusting shutter speed or using a variable nd filter and work at a constant 2.8 and adjust the nd filter or work at 2.8 and adjust shutter speed, some people don't like doing this but I love it as it gives a great look. Particularly when they throw the confetti...If you can get lens below 2.8 then even better
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 04:42 PM   #4
Major Player

I sit on 2.8 or whatever F stop I want, set my preferred shutter speed and adjust my ND to suit the exposure. Seems to work pretty quick.
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Major Player

Chris, I feel like a rank amateur for asking this, but how are you adjusting a ND filter?
Old September 11th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #6
Inner Circle

You have to have a "Vari-ND" aka variable ND. The adjustment is made by turning one of the two elements. The Tiffen Vari ND is excellent.*I have one on the 12-35 f2.8. Google it.

The Polaroid one on the new 20mm f1.7is awful but it's the only one I found. It vignettes about halfway through it's range.

The 1.7 delivers a better bokeh than the 2.8. But there's no comparing the sDOF capability with the Canons. They have their own problems tho... LOL
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 03:57 AM   #7
Major Player

I have a screw-on genustech variable ND, that does 8 stops down. You just rotate it like a polariser. It enables me to pretty well shoot around F2-F2.8 in strong daylight - brilliant for that SDOF look. Some people just buy a 4 stop, but if you shoot a lot in harsh light I'd get more stops - I think it's what called a 2.4 density. They start at 0.6, then 1.2, 1.8 and finally 2.4.
Old September 12th, 2013, 07:54 AM   #8
Major Player

Just ordered it, Chris!
Old September 15th, 2013, 05:02 AM   #9
Major Player

Good stuff, you'll find yourself using it more and more. You may also need a few step-down rings if you use it with a wide.
Old September 15th, 2013, 06:23 AM   #10
Major Player

ND fader filters don't work however in ETC mode. Fair enough, ETC not for everyone, but for those like me who use it, you need to use fixed ND filters. My favourite are 8X ones, by either B&W or Hoya Pro.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
ND fader filters don't work however in ETC mode
Why not? The filter does operate independently from the etc mode or am I missing something?
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series