VERY Inexpensive Camera Cages! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old January 6th, 2014, 11:42 PM   #1
Trustee

VERY Inexpensive Camera Cages!

I was NOT inclined to go this route. I like keeping things simple, light weight, and minimalist! Besides which most "rigs" and cages were quite expensive. But when I saw the pictures, videos, and descriptions of the FHugen Honu cage specifically designed for the GH3 and on sale for $120 (now on sale for $99.99!) i went for it.

Used it once so far with a Rode VideoMic on top (never wanted to trust that weight on a camera shoe) and it was everything claimed.

Link to Photography & Cinema's web page with their "cages" is below, for the above look for the Honu Cage.

Then I got an email on one of their other cage products that seemed more generic and flexible, having just acquired an OLy OMD E-M5 for it's 5 axis in body image stabilzation I ordered the basic model of their "BearBox" cage, the GB1 for $95. With the 1 1/2 inch vertical extensions removed I liked the balance with the E-M5 mounted. The just right spaced 2 handgrips coupled with the E-M5 IBIS made for excellent control of handheld "jitters".

Then I put the 1 1/2 inch extensions back in, put a Manfrotto 577 quick release on the inside surface of the bottom plate so I could instantly mount either the GH3, the OMD E-M5, or any other camera I might want to use with it

Two other "kits" are available. One with a 15mm rod adapter, and one with the rod adapter and a top mounted carry handle.

GB1, GB2, & GB3 - Be sure to watch the videos on both the Honu Cage and on the GearBox series.

Photography and Cinema - Store Camera Cage
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2014, 01:37 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: VERY Inexpensive Camera Cages!

Zacuto has a similar Zwiss Cage for sale but it's almost 10 times the price if you include the top handle... I like the hdmi clamp they made for the gh3, I only wonder if my varavon loupe would fit, I can see the lcd panel can open but probably won"t allow the varavon loupe to slide over the lcd. Great cages for very low prizes indeed, thx for sharing
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 01:22 AM   #3
Trustee

Since I use the Manfrotto 577 quick release system compatible with the 501 and 701 heads (everything uses the 501PL camera plates) a Hoodman Hoodloupe with 3x eyepiece fits easily on the back with no other hardware. With the 501PL plate on the bottom of the camera, slide the EVF cover up a bit, fit the bottom edge of the Hoodloupe against the bottom of the LCD, position properly, then while holding the loupe in place pull the EVF cover down against the top of the Hoodloupe..

The loupe is held in a secure "friction" "jam" fit and because it is made of firm rubber there will be no damage to anything.

To remove, pull it off.

This works only with the GH3 as far as I know.
Old January 11th, 2014, 07:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I would just LOVE to see a cage like this tailored for the GH2. Obviously they started with the GH3, which is currently on the market, but there's a LOT of GH2 enthusiasts out there and the camera is very useful and not going away any time soon. Could be a market worth exploring.
Bob Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 08:35 PM   #5
Trustee

The only cage "tailored" to anything on that site is the FHugen Honu cage for the GH3. I have one and it's pretty good with the GH3 as it should be, however I'll mostly be using the GB1 even with the GH3.

The Gearbox (GB1, 2, and 3) series will work just fine for the GH2. As a matter of fact, the second video on that GearBox page shows (very briefly) a GH2 held inside where it would mount.

If no quick release is used, I would remove the 1 1/2 inch risers and mount it directly. Handling "balance" should be just right.

If a quick release was used the "risers" would probably need to be in place. This is the way I have mine configured.
Old January 12th, 2014, 03:25 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richardson View Post
I would just LOVE to see a cage like this tailored for the GH2.
It seems that with a simple modification you can use the cage with the only issue that you can't open the battery door:

Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 12:40 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I also have the FHugen Honu cage, and it's pretty nice. I also got the top handle and the HDMI support, but beware, you can't open the LCD panel all the way out, the HDMI adapter restricts it. not a big deal for me, as I use a 7" ext. monitor.It's a very nice cage.

I want to be able to get one of there Loops, but none of them will fit with the cage. Supposedly they are working on one.
Leon Kolenda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series