Olympus 12-40 on a GH3? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 16th, 2014, 09:59 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Olympus 12-40 on a GH3?

Similar to another person asking the same question that I've googled, I'm also wondering if anyone has used an Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 on their GH3?

One big advantage I'm seeing is direct manual focus clutch system compared to the Panasonic 12-35. I'm looking to only get "the 1 lens to rule them all" and just set & forget if I ever get the GH4. Not really too concerned about the lack of IS.

Otherwise, sounds like a REALLY good MFT lens, but still am curious on how it fares with a Panasonic.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 10:10 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Olympus 12-40 on a GH3?

Quote:
Not really too concerned about the lack of IS.
That's the main reason why I paid premium to get the 12-35, to have stabilization, if I turn IS on or off on the gh3 the difference is obvious and gets worse the closer I get to 35mm
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #3
Major Player

It's a tough call. IS is definitely useful, but that focus by wire thing is utter crap. I was using the 12-35mm on a gig this week and tried to do a rack focus. I couldn't nail it, so I threw on my Voigtlander and got it right away. I have both the 12-35 and 35-100. Both very useful, but big focus changes are impossible. I used the 35-100 filming a comedy show this week with ETC mode switched on as I was shooting at a distance from the stage, and focusing was easier because the comedian had a small stage on which to maneuver. IS was nice as I was on my monopod roving around the room.

I really wish the Panasonic lenses could incorporate a manual focus ring. I was going to hold out for the new Panny 42.5mm, but am going to get the Voigtlander 42.5mm for half the price. I was also looking at the Olympus 75mm, but am going with the Rokinon 85mm. Manual focus and speed are more important than autofocus and IS, and those two win out. Best of luck!
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 04:24 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Much depends for what you plan to use the lenses, I used to own a set of Samyangs and you are right they have much better feedback when trying to do a focus pull, especially their cinelenses are better for manual focussing and setting exposure.

In my case I prefer the Panasonic lenses because I can much quicker and more accurately set focus to a certain object using the autofocus capabilities which snaps on very quickly, I always found it difficult to manually nail the focus with the Samyangs. for that I press the shutter button halfway to make the focus lock on and leave it in manual after that. Also the image stabilization is something I need as I do a lot of handheld work as well. But if my line of work required me to do accurate focus pulls I"d definitely would go for a Samyang type of lens but work more on a tripod, or get myself a Olympus em1 with build in stabilization and a set of Olympus lenses.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 04:42 PM   #5
Trustee

Is the Olympus parfocal? Can't seem to find an answer anywhere.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 05:12 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Williams View Post
Is the Olympus parfocal? Can't seem to find an answer anywhere.
I would doubt it but the zoom range is small enough that it might function as parfocal within the range. I have found that with non-parfocal zoom lenses you can stay in focus for about a 2x adjustment in either direction. Each lens is different however.
Old February 18th, 2014, 12:22 PM   #7
Trustee

If you have enough lighting contrast for autofocus to work well, rack focus is pretty easy with "touch focus" enabled. The 12-35 should work well with this as well as most Olympus m4/3 lenses.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 02:56 PM   #8
Inner Circle

If you use touch focus the transition between focus points is nowhere near as smooth as with a manual focus pull.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series