GH4 4K for still frame captures at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old May 28th, 2014, 05:39 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: GH4 4K for still frame captures

Here is a full size 4K UHD 3840x2160 desktop screenshot off my 4K UHD TV :
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2927/...cfbbc6a6_o.jpg
Joe Ogiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 06:40 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I'm very stoked about 4K and your photos are just one of the reasons why. It should be the end of the upward progression for a while, at least I hope. I read that 4K is close to the amount of detail that the human eye can resolve and that the eventual 8K should not be much of an improvement over 4K.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 07:33 PM   #5
Trustee

Those linked pictures are NOT 4K frame grabs, which should be 3840x2160. They are lower-resolution *screen* captures (2560x1600).
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 06:49 AM   #6
Regular Crew

3840x2160 desktop screen capture :

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3756/...252707ec_o.png
Old June 3rd, 2014, 09:26 AM   #7
Major Player

What shutter speed for the bicycle footage?
Obviously if it's only for stills, the fast shutter speed makes sense - the problem is when you also want normal looking (non-choppy) video motion.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 01:59 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Unfortunately, with action, those two purposes don't go together. Either you are filming for motion or you are filming for stills. High shutter rates don't make for great motion filming except for quick inserts. And filming for stills might pose an issue in low-light situations. Non-action filming shouldn't be a problem.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 07:47 PM   #9
Trustee

One of the exceptions to the action stills from video that interests me particularly is my aviation work. Low shutter speed does wonders for heli's and blurring backgrounds assuming your panning skills are worthy!
These are 1080p cropped a bit from my C100 but I plan to do the same with a GH4 very soon!

http://yipdog.smugmug.com/Airplanes/...2/CSA-1-X2.jpg

http://yipdog.smugmug.com/Airplanes/...Rolling-X2.jpg
Old June 4th, 2014, 06:24 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sperling View Post
What shutter speed for the bicycle footage?
Obviously if it's only for stills, the fast shutter speed makes sense - the problem is when you also want normal looking (non-choppy) video motion.
I used my Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f/0.95 @ F2.8 and about 1/1000 to 1/2000 sec shutter with a Hoya Linear Polarizing PL Glass Lens Filter since it has a record 82.6 lpmm resolution @ F2.8.

"The resolution test of the Leica DG Nocticron 42.5 mm f/1.2 Asph. P.O.I.S. was based on RAW files from the Olympus E-PL1. In the case of that body the highest results, reached by the best fixed focus lenses, amount to about 80 lpmm (and the record value of 82.6 lpmm belongs to the Voigtlander 0.95/25, with the Olympus 1.8/75 not far behind).The decency level is set near 44-45 lpmm."
Panasonic Leica DG Nocticron 42.5 mm f/1.2 Asph. P.O.I.S. review - Image resolution - Lenstip.com
Old June 4th, 2014, 07:31 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Ogiba View Post
I used my Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f/0.95 @ F2.8 and about 1/1000 to 1/2000 sec shutter [/url]
yikes, pull back on the throttle man!

You should be able to get away with a large number of grab-able stills with that kind of motion at 1/500ish. Did you do some tests to see the slowest shutter that would work for your needs? If you need every single frame grab-able, then you're stuck in that super high arena, but if you can be fine with say 50% of frames grab-able, you can dial in a shutter speed that won't look quite so stark.

Then again, there's always adding motion blur in post
Old June 5th, 2014, 06:39 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Levine View Post
yikes, pull back on the throttle man!

You should be able to get away with a large number of grab-able stills with that kind of motion at 1/500ish. Did you do some tests to see the slowest shutter that would work for your needs? If you need every single frame grab-able, then you're stuck in that super high arena, but if you can be fine with say 50% of frames grab-able, you can dial in a shutter speed that won't look quite so stark.

Then again, there's always adding motion blur in post
I wanted to shoot at F2.8 with only the Hoya Linear Polarizing PL Glass Lens Filter . Whatever floats your boat.
Joe Ogiba is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series