GH4 Doesn't Auto-Focus Worth #$@! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old June 30th, 2015, 07:01 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: GH4 Doesn't Auto-Focus Worth #$@!

Noa, the reason for wanting peaking when using autofocus while filming is it is usually far easier to see in an extremely dynamic environment with middle aged eyes the dazzle of the focus peaking to confirm the autofocus is right than it is to visually see that the moving tiny subject looks in focus.

In a dynamic environment with the moving subjects ranging in size from of a large goliath beetle to a subject as small as the size of these letters in this sentence, and with the accompanying shallow depth of field at such high magnifications and with no time to set up a tripod, manual focus is rarely realistic and handheld is used. I know, all those things conspire against me, but with my old bulky 3CCD HDV cam, I regularly nailed it, with footage usable 90% of the time, but HDV is a dinosaur now. 4k footage acquisition offers opportunities in post for stabilization, digital zooms, reframing and slow digital pans.
Old June 30th, 2015, 08:30 PM   #17
Major Player

So now you have a smaller circle of confusion and shallower depth of field. Very challenging. Can you push the diffraction envelope a little and crank up the light with a smaller f-stop? What does Online Depth of Field Calculator say your focus depth is at your current aperture? How does it compare with your old system?
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 12:37 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Allen View Post
Noa, the reason for wanting peaking when using autofocus while filming is it is usually far easier to see in an extremely dynamic environment with middle aged eyes the dazzle of the focus peaking to confirm the autofocus is right than it is to visually see that the moving tiny subject looks in focus.
Your best bet might be teh sony a6000 or the canon 70d with the macro lens if you don't want to break the bank because I have seen very good results from their autofocus capabilities, but if your requiremet is 4K I don't know what camera would be able to do what you expect from it.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 03:27 PM   #19
Major Player

Noa, that is why I am thinking of the new Sony A7RII, as it has 399 focus points on it sensor.
Old July 1st, 2015, 04:33 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Those 399 focus points are most likely used to take an image but I"m sure that will not apply for continuous autofocus while shooting video.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 08:18 PM   #21
Major Player

Sony does have a promo film out that seems to really promote the continuous autofocus capabilities of the new cam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ea5lKyWxGc#t=42
Old July 2nd, 2015, 09:43 AM   #22
Regular Crew

samsung nx1 is 4k and apparently has very good af
Ade Towell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series