GH4: new rig for run & gun while traveling at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old September 23rd, 2015, 06:41 AM   #1
Tourist

GH4: new rig for run & gun while traveling

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get into (semi)pro videography and would like to do it from the main door: 4k.

So, the quest for my perfect starting rig is telling me camera is Panasonic GH4 - not sure why but I'm kind of avoiding the Samsung NX1

Requirements are taking footage while traveling, mainly for/of:
- nature: from landscapes to close ups on flowers, as well as animals sightwatching (not birds!)
- city: architecture and monuments, general street shoots
- museums
- beaches and surf, possibly with close ups
- interviews and events, possibly
- of course, some stills as well!
- night city shots, not really needed

Main type of shooting will be run & gun handheld, with occasionally time to set a tripod.
Budget, was 5000 €………….

Don't mind too much if the clips will come up with not a really smooth video, but definitely they have to be acceptable by the average TV watcher folk.

BACKUP CAMERA
As I would do this as a (semi)pro, I don’t have a chance to miss a shot, but also can’t buy myself a second GH4 for the “just-in-case”....

Choice is a MFT like a GH2 or a Canon APS like 550D, both around 300 € used

LENSES

Given those requirements, my pick would be:

- Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 POWER O.I.S
The all around, day and night (till light permits)

- Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm f/2.8 or Panasonic LUMIX G VARIO 35-100mm f4.0-5.6 ASPH MEGA OIS?
I'm not too much sure whethere the latter will be too much slow for my purposes but do I really need 35+ mm after dusk or for the insides?

- A fast lens, mainly for dark interiors and interviews (what else?) like Olympus M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8 - is it worth it for handheld shooting or will I need a shoulder stabilizer or a tripod eventually?

- General backup/all around zoom lens (I'm out in the forest and something breaks up...): Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm f/3.5-5.6 POWER O.I.S. or Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm f/4-5.8 MEGA O.I.S.
One of the two should suffer of issues while stabilizing...?

Price of the lot (used items where possible): 1500-2000 EUR

SPEEDBOOSTER

Another point to consider is the Metabones Speedbooster - can you guys suggest the alternatives?

I was kind of skipping it, mainly for autofocus (although it seems it got fixed) as well as vignetting.
I would go for the ULTRA version - so I could backup my GH4 with a cheap used Canon APS-C like the 550d... full frame are expensive

Same needs as above so:

Wide angle zoom lenses:
Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF
Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Canon EF

Telephoto lenses:
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
or
Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Canon EF
Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM Canon EF

Fast lens: Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM

Generic zoom lenses:
Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Tamron 16-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD MACRO Canon EF
Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Canon EF
Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Canon EF
Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM Canon EF
Sigma 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM Contemporary Canon EF
Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Canon EF

Price of the lot (used items where possible): 1700-2000 EUR

AUDIO
RODE VIDEO MIC PRO + windshield
Lavalier: Audio-Technica ATR3350 + Bluetooth Transmitter+Receiver for wireless lav

300 €

ACCESSORIES

The weight is also a requirement, but I would prefer to save on here and invest more on lenses, for now:
- Pro 160-LED which is very cheap, 25 €

- Tripod
A chinese one, maybe 100€? - what about mount an head on 3 walking sticks?!?!?!
Gorillapod...?

- Shoulder rig/Pistol grip
Again, let's save on here: 200 €

- Batteries:
Patona 2A: are they worh it? How many to buy? Say 2+charger? 60 €

MEMORY
Made some math and 100Mbit/s recordings should fit 85 mins in a 64 gigs card. Confirm?

So:
3x 64 GB SD card U3
3x HD 2Tb USB3
Kingston Mobile Lite G2 (move data SD -> HD with cell phone)

410 €

LAPTOP
For editing 4k videos, take 1000 € into account

So my ticket for entering videography would be 5000-6000 € circa with accessories which meets my budget!

Please, feel free to destroy me with your comments :)

Mainly, I'm curious about:
- GH4 vs NX1 vs alternatives for 4k video shooting run & gun handheld
- Speedbooster: is it really worth it?
- What about the lenses?
- Accessories like stabilizers...?
Enrico Graziani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2015, 02:38 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: GH4: new rig for run & gun while traveling

Hello and welcome Enrico.

For a B camera I'd choose a LX100 or a GX8, in order to stay with 4K format.

Your choice of lenses is good. However the 14-140mm is not as good as the 12-35 & 35-100 and not very useful. What about the 100-300 instead?
Working with Speedboster means you have to buy other trademark lens may be boring. Personnaly, my best results was made with m4/3 lenses. What about the Panasonic 7-14mm if you need a wild angle?

For the tripod, I'm not sure that you can have something good enough for 100€. You should invest something around 800€ for a good tripod (carbon fiber) and a video head, like Sachtler ACE-L.

Cheers!
Old September 24th, 2015, 05:05 AM   #3
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan Fournier View Post
Hello and welcome Enrico.
Thanks Ronan!

For a B camera I'd choose a LX100 or a GX8, in order to stay with 4K format.
Cheers![/QUOTE]
GX8 = out of budget
LX100 = I'll check it out

Quote:
Your choice of lenses is good. However the 14-140mm is not as good as the 12-35 & 35-100 and not very useful. What about the 100-300 instead?
14-140 is just as "backup": if I'm out in the jungle, and my 12-35 or 35-100 fails, I have something else to use...

Quote:
Working with Speedboster means you have to buy other trademark lens may be boring. Personnaly, my best results was made with m4/3 lenses.
That is what I was worried about.

Quote:
What about the Panasonic 7-14mm if you need a wild angle
Do I need such a wide angle?

Quote:
For the tripod, I'm not sure that you can have something good enough for 100€. You should invest something around 800€ for a good tripod (carbon fiber) and a video head, like Sachtler ACE-L.
I understand that the GH4 can be shaky, but 800 € is definetely out of my budget.
BTW, found this article where Sky News (british news channel) cameramen Andy Portch is saying that he shots with a GH4 and a Gorillapod... News Shooter | Sky News cameraman Andy Portch reviews a year shooting news with the Panasonic GH4
of course he also has a Miller 1600 $ tripod, but I'll rather find an old affordable ball head to use with the Gorillapod like the Manfrotto MVH500

Ronan, what about filters to use with the daylight?
Enrico Graziani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2015, 04:11 PM   #4
Major Player

I have the 12-35, 14-140 and 100-300 as well as the Metabones EF speedbooster with the tokina 11-16, sigma 17-50, and sigma 70-200.

When I'm doing run and gun and its daylight, I always default to the 14-140. It's a perfect range for NOT having to carry a bunch of other stuff with me.

Now if it's a set or more produced piece, the 14-140 would be the dead last lens I'd use.
Old September 26th, 2015, 04:34 AM   #5
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Doyle View Post
I have the 12-35, 14-140 and 100-300 as well as the Metabones EF speedbooster with the tokina 11-16, sigma 17-50, and sigma 70-200.

When I'm doing run and gun and its daylight, I always default to the 14-140. It's a perfect range for NOT having to carry a bunch of other stuff with me.

Now if it's a set or more produced piece, the 14-140 would be the dead last lens I'd use.
Understood, thanks.

14-400 3.5-5.6 or 4-5.6? How about OIS and jittering???

And what about the speedbooster? Is it really needed? Or could I just stick with the 12-35 instead?
Enrico Graziani is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series