G7 now at $500 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old January 24th, 2016, 05:50 PM   #1
Major Player

G7 now at $500

I've just find the G7 now, NEW, for $ 500. Does anybody know anything really bad or good about this cam? I mainly do shorts and take sound separately.

From what I've seen, 500 bucks for something almost as good as the GH4 is a steal!
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 06:04 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: G7 now at $500

It will just look like what your opinion was on the GH4; "it's depth of the color will be very shallow and washed out, hanging by a thread and has a black level that is too high". Trust me, you won't fall in love with the quality of the image. I do know however what camera you will love, can you guess which?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 08:04 AM   #3
Major Player

Yes, I will love the look of the BMCC, most Alexas and a few REDs.
Now, the GH4 costs at least $1300 here in the US, the G7 is only 500.
Have you come across people who have discovered that the ProRes shooting of the BMPCC is actually not that great and that contrary to the BMCC and the BMPC it should only be used in raw?
Old January 25th, 2016, 08:18 AM   #4
Inner Circle

So now that it's cheap it's up to your standards again? :) What has changed your mind then as you only have been negative so far about the IQ of any camera other then the ones from black magic.
Old January 26th, 2016, 05:59 AM   #5
Trustee

Used the g7 for 4 weeks travelling around Australia, Thailand, UAE. Excellent little camera great for photos great for video, handheld all day with the 14-42, and the 42.7 1.7 new lens is exceptional and cheap. That has been my go to lens, the bokeh which i love is brilliant and the stabilizer great...
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 06:17 AM   #6
Inner Circle

That 42,5mm is my favourite one as well, can also get real close to your subject, amazing how they managed to get stabilisation in such a tiny lens.
Old January 26th, 2016, 07:26 AM   #7
Major Player

Noa, come on!

I love the image produced by the BMCs but I don't think this is a reliable company:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1137314-REG/blackmagic_design_cinecamursam40k_ef_ursa_4k_digital_cinema.html Look at the reviews, it's sad and pitiful! I have no reason to believe the 4.6K will be different.
I don't have anything against boxes with sensors in them, but, come on, there is a limit!

Can't afford RED or ALEXA

The GH4 and the NX1? I'm not in love with the image they produce, but I find them acceptable. But not to the point I can, as a non professional with no distribution deal, to spend north of 1000 bucks for either of those cams.

Now, if there is a cam that can, under careful circumstances, and without the headache of the BMPCC, produce acceptable enough footage comparable to the GH4 and for 500 bucks, yes, I can take the plunge. Besides, remember, I'm old school. I care about content. I could have watched Death and the Maiden or Benny and Joon filmed in VHS. You could film any James Bond or Star Wars movie in 8 K I still can't wrap my mind around that and I wouldn't care.

This is more enough quality for me to tell the stories I care about

Last edited by Larry Secrest; January 26th, 2016 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Including link
Old January 26th, 2016, 08:03 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Come on what? You have asked before to show you why any other camera in the same price range as a black magic pocket camera is even worth considering and you made it clear you don't like the image of any other camera, including the gh4,and now you ask us to tell you, again, what's good about g7? If it's almost as good as a gh4, which you didn't like, then what do you want us to tell you, that has not already been told to you before? You where impossible to convince before and now it's all great because it's cheap and you want a confirmation on that? I already told you in this thread how the image looks from this camera, it was in fact your opinion on the image of the gh4 which should look pretty similar to the g7.
Old January 27th, 2016, 03:48 PM   #9
Trustee

Larry the G7 is very good hand held all day just get it, get the Panasonic new lens 42.5 1.7 and you will enjoy. Picture profile go neutral with contrast down -5 sharp down -5 sats down -5 then tweek in post and the quality from the 4k is brilliant just working on my little trips footage around Australia Thailand Dubai will send you a link so you can see how good the little cam is in 4k and full avchd.
Having said that it will never beat my canon 70d which truly still amazes me every wedding shoot, better than a top camcorder with the dual focus...If i can just get a new 6dii full frame with the same settings as the 70d then i would not change anything for years....
Old January 30th, 2016, 08:11 PM   #10
Trustee

Where can you get a new G7 for $500

How well does the footage from the G7 compare to the GH4?
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2016, 04:00 PM   #11
Trustee

Ask Larry kidda. G 7 sound as a pound. Gh4 g7 hardly any difference
Old February 1st, 2016, 12:47 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I would concur with the others that if you like the look of the pocket cam, neither the G7 or GH4 will appeal that much.

I have been watching some samples with the G7 and like the G6 that I have had, it creates a very creamy pleasant image that while somewhat softer than the GH4 is really nice.

Without question though, the 42.5mm f/1.7 with IS is one of the greatest lenses ever made for m43 cams. The combination of G7 or GH4 in 4K with that lens is the most appealing image I've seen out of an m43 setup. With a G7 or my older G6 it is incredibly light and tiny. Nothing compares for cost, weight and size when it comes to stealth video image capture IMHO.

Cheers,
Pete
Pete Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 03:02 PM   #13
Major Player

Where do you get the g7 for $500?
Tim Paynter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2016, 05:58 AM   #14
Major Player

Sorry, I stayed away without checking this.
The 500 is gone, but now you have this one
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 14-42mm Lens, Silver DMC-G7KS
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series