Report of the trip in Ethiopia with the GH5 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old September 29th, 2018, 12:48 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Report of the trip in Ethiopia with the GH5

Did you learn how to use custom presets Adriano ? You have 5 to choose from on the GH5 to store completely different settings and if you had Lens Position Resume set to ON even the focus would also return to the point it was at when you switched off. I just switched my camera on from a show I did 2 weeks ago and all the settings are still the same as when I switched it off. I am sure it came up within 2 sec. ready to shoot as I had left it.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2018, 07:38 PM   #17
Major Player

I understand and also completely agree with Adriano, about the limitations (some intentional by the way). The GH5 is not a shoulder video camera. No question.

But it gives good material ( that's the only reason why I'm talking about a still camera for video).

Unlike all the others (still cameras) shows less marketing limitations (let's be honest here: no time limit, remote control, servo zoom lenses -only 2 and none wide to tele- zoom control over the lanc-type port) and a flip screen (all the way).

Compared to others is very generous (not too many marketing limitations) and let's be clear here: the time limit, servo zoom and remote , the flip screen tat doesn't go around are major marketing limitations in this industry. All intentional. Designed with a purpose.
Adriano the material out of the GH5 is first class, try to keep it... and try the presets ...
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2018, 08:49 AM   #18
Major Player

Anthony, this is one of my bad clips I got with my GH5. I used the WB preset.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t01j8nxkuw...t%202.mp4?dl=0
Old October 23rd, 2018, 02:10 PM   #19
Inner Circle

I said I wouldn't react anymore but here I go :D That shot is underexposed and for a major part out of focus, both are not camera errors. The colors look ok to me though.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2018, 03:40 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I said I wouldn't react anymore but here I go :D That shot is underexposed and for a major part out of focus, both are not camera errors. The colors look ok to me though.
?????????? Do you know why that shot is for a major part out of focus? I write it again again again. I haven't the right time to focus. Or I focus and shoot with the right exposition or I can't shot that moment that fades in a few seconds. For this reason I wrote it many times but it seems you still don't believe me.
Could I ask you why do you like those colours? I have other clips like that and it is impossible improve colors and to make good clips. Test it!
Old October 23rd, 2018, 03:41 PM   #21
Regular Crew

If that is a true representation of your shooting results, I would be also disappointed. However, my anger, aggravation and disappointment would not be focused on the equipment (GH5), rather than how I had performed using the selected equipment. Nonetheless, if you get better/satisfactory results from a camcorder then you have learned what equipment is better for your skill level and type of shoots you are attempting.

As for your example, it is 720 HD, so it is difficult to determine what your source media looks like. Did you process the video? If so, what NLE did you use? What rendering format/codec and resolution settings did you use? What resolution did you upload to dropbox? What format and quality did you record in the GH5? Taking a screenshot sample from your video and putting it under vector scopes, it appears to need would benefit from a lot of color correction, but some of that is the translation from your render quality then placed into my NLE.

But more important than that is, what is it specifically you do not like about your sample?
Old October 23rd, 2018, 03:56 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
I have other clips like that and it is impossible improve colors and to make good clips.
The exposure you have in your sample is way out, but can be improved in POST. That is why I asked you the questions in my previous post about your NLE, etc?

You also have a distinct advantage over me or NOA, as you were there taking the film and you saw the colors first hand. However, it looks like it may have been an overcast day, and what you remember about the colors with your eyes, may also be deceiving you in comparison to what the camera saw (your settings) and then what was produced with or without color corrections.

As for focus, when using prosumer equipment, there is always going to be a trade-off as to ease of use, especially when it comes to tracking and focusing moving subjects that are approaching as in your example. Some camcorders may make it easy for the limited skilled getting what may be considered acceptable results. On the other hand, not all camcorders are good at tracking and keeping focus in the example you have shown. In the prosumer world using only one camera and lens, there is going to be trad-off of capabilities. The operator needs to make their decision as to what is most important, spend as much money as they have available to get that most important feature and maybe some others, and then work on overcoming the disadvantages, as there is no such thing as a perfect camera for every type of shoot. However, for some, one of the new phone cameras may give them better results because everything is done for them, just point and shoot and that may be even better than a camcorder for your style of shooting!
Old October 23rd, 2018, 04:24 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
?????????? Do you know why that shot is for a major part out of focus? I write it again again again. I haven't the right time to focus. Or I focus and shoot with the right exposition or I can't shot that moment that fades in a few seconds. For this reason I wrote it many times but it seems you still don't believe me.
Could I ask you why do you like those colours? I have other clips like that and it is impossible improve colors and to make good clips. Test it!
The image might be a bit too red but that is easily colorcorrected, it also lacks a bit of contrast and like I mentioned before, it's quite underexposed, what do you not like about that shot?

If you want to make sure you get a shot in focus when a subject moves towards you then close down your aperture so it's sharp front to back.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 04:59 PM   #24
Major Player

Those girls in the clip are perfectly in focus in the following 5-6 seconds but I liked more to add the girls from afar in my video.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 05:21 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Those girls in the clip are perfectly in focus in the following 5-6 seconds but I liked more to add the girls from afar in my video.
It's DOF, pull focus, or swap for a different lens with greater DOF.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 05:25 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Dean View Post
Did you process the video? If so, what NLE did you use? What rendering format/codec and resolution settings did you use? What resolution did you upload to dropbox? What format and quality did you record in the GH5? Taking a screenshot sample from your video and putting it under vector scopes, it appears to need would benefit from a lot of color correction, but some of that is the translation from your render quality then placed into my NLE.
1) That clip was not the original clip. I took it from Edius 9 timeline and I exported to .mp4 but without any filter.
2) I use Edius Workgroup 9
3) I shoot with GH5 in Pal system, 50p 8bit, 400 ISO, Natual preset but with with -2 contrast and WB preset.
4) About Dropbox I don't know the resolution
I thougth about my problem in Africa. I think my problem was the variable ND filter. Maybe I close it too much. I think I will buy a fixed ND filter and with it in April I will go there again.
Now I attach the original clip and the processed clip by Edius 9.
This is the original shoot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h21prveak4...t%202.MOV?dl=0
This is the clip processed by Edius 9: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fs3rwl4ryn...t%203.mp4?dl=0 But DropBox degraded it.
I exported to 75Mbps and Superfine quality.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 05:32 PM   #27
Inner Circle

You lifted the blacks way to high on your processed clip giving the image a milky look.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 05:39 PM   #28
Major Player

Noa, I removed the blacks with an Edius filter. I have also other clips like that but the original clips are with more black and they look even uglier.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 05:52 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
I think I will buy a fixed ND filter and with it in April I will go there again.
Don't get a nd filter, sell your gh5 and buy the succesor of the ax100 (the z90 I believe) as I have read it has a much improved autofocus system. When you go back with your gh5 I will bet you again will come back disappointed.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 06:29 PM   #30
Major Player

Adriano,

I see . Well I am a believer of the "we shoot what we have and make it work" concept and practice but if one has to work too hard to get basic stuff then sell the GH5 and get something better, absolutely.

I am also a believer of the shoulder cameras for run & gun works and I truly can't understand why we have to deal with cameras in mid air or the absurd still cameras on frankenrigs (that make us look like perfect idiots by the way)

JVC is in my opinion leading in innovation and decent offers (at the moment). Take a look at the GY-HC500 (USD 3,900 or euros 3,000).

it's a inch sensor, 4K 50/60p,20x servo zoom, 2 SD plus a real SSD mount in the body. streaming, LAN port, USB for wifi dongle, remote lanc (no info on the protocol but it may be the sony/canon instead of the JVC prohd that nobody sell and it's ridiculously expensive).

if the engine is an evolution of the HM600 then it should be solid. No surprises.
It's a "real" camcorder after all
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series