Report of the trip in Ethiopia with the GH5 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old October 23rd, 2018, 06:54 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: Report of the trip in Ethiopia with the GH5

Could you tell me why do I have to buy a video camera? Do you not think I can become more expert om GH5?
Old October 24th, 2018, 02:25 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
I thougth about my problem in Africa. I think my problem was the variable ND filter. Maybe I close it too much.
If you close a nd filter too much you get a black cross in the image, then either don't close completely and use the shutter to compensate if you don't have any other stronger ND's with you.

Quote:
Could you tell me why do I have to buy a video camera? Do you not think I can become more expert om GH5?
Everyone can learn from others or by their own mistakes, you don't seem to learn from both as you don't accept advice and you blame a bad image on the camera, there are camera's that don't handle certain situations in a good way like shooting in the dark and using a camera that cannot handle high iso so in some situations it's the limitation of a camera that can cause a less then optimal image but in such a case you use light.
Or like in your case using autofocus that is causing missed focus, that is a limitation of the gh5 and in such a case you manually focus or close down your aperture for a deeper dof.

The conditions you shoot in, that you think we don't understand, has nothing to do with the problems you have. I shoot weddings and I"m sure they can be somewhat equally challenging to cover, everything happens fast, no second takes, difficult to get good audio, difficult light conditions etc...and I use a GH5. My colors, exposure and sound is fine. That doesn't mean I don't make mistakes, I do, most of the time it's my fault and sometimes it's a limitation of the camera that I know of and accept that this can happen, that's why I use more then one camera or use b-roll to cover up my mistakes as good as I can.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2018, 04:09 AM   #33
Major Player

There are firmware updates for the GH5 and GH5s which are supposed to improve the autofocus. Just thought I'd mention it in case it helps.
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2018, 09:40 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
1) That clip was not the original clip. I took it from Edius 9 timeline and I exported to .mp4 but without any filter.
2) I use Edius Workgroup 9
3) I shoot with GH5 in Pal system, 50p 8bit, 400 ISO, Natual preset but with with -2 contrast and WB preset.
4) About Dropbox I don't know the resolution
I thougth about my problem in Africa. I think my problem was the variable ND filter. Maybe I close it too much. I think I will buy a fixed ND filter and with it in April I will go there again.
Now I attach the original clip and the processed clip by Edius 9.
This is the original shoot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h21prveak4...t%202.MOV?dl=0
This is the clip processed by Edius 9: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fs3rwl4ryn...t%203.mp4?dl=0 But DropBox degraded it.
I exported to 75Mbps and Superfine quality.
Why are you shooting in 8 bit apposed to 10 bit?

Why the -2 contrast, and what WB preset?

Why are you using 400 ISO and an ND filter?

Why are you using Photo Style 'Natural'?

What resolution are you shooting?

What lens did you use for the samples you provided?

When you post to Dropbox your original source, and the Edius render, it doesn't show what is needed as a comparison, as Dropbox will process and what you have posted is in 720p.
Old October 24th, 2018, 11:23 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
If you close a nd filter too much you get a black cross in the image, then either don't close completely and use the shutter to compensate if you don't have any other stronger ND's with you.
Yes, I closed the VND filter enough because I sot with 400 ASA in sunny african days but I have always respected the rule of 180 °. I always did it.
Old October 24th, 2018, 02:34 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Dean View Post
Why are you shooting in 8 bit apposed to 10 bit?

Why the -2 contrast, and what WB preset?

Why are you using 400 ISO and an ND filter?

Why are you using Photo Style 'Natural'?

What resolution are you shooting?

What lens did you use for the samples you provided?

When you post to Dropbox your original source, and the Edius render, it doesn't show what is needed as a comparison, as Dropbox will process and what you have posted is in 720p.

8 bit because I need to shoot in 50p.

Why 400 ISO and an ND filter???? It is because this couple worked fine in my country. Why? If you use 100 ISA would you not use the VNF????

Natural is the one of the most flat preset and with I made it even flatter

WB preset because some times I have no free time to make the WB and because in my country WB preset works fine but not in Africa

Resolution: UHD, 50p

Lens: Leica 12-60 mm

Last edited by Adriano Moroni; October 25th, 2018 at 12:54 AM.
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2018, 04:11 PM   #37
Major Player

I don't like to use that Variable ND filter in my next trip in Africa. I'd like to buy a new fixed ND filter but a good filter. I don't like dominant color, vignetting and above all I don't not like if the filter lowers the definition. I need a 62mm ND filter but I don't know about how many stops I need if I shoot in Africa. Do you think 6 stops are good?
If you know a really good ND filter could you write the precise model please?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series