So I'm in a bit of a quandary right now, at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 25th, 2021, 03:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

So I'm in a bit of a quandary right now,

So I'm in a bit of a quandary right now,

I've been looking at the Panasonic full frame S5 for several months now. I own a Panasonic Fz 2500 and I don't figure there is any purpose going from a 1 inch sensor to a 4/3 or ASP-C as an intermediary step because the S5 is only $2300 with the kit lens. But I know once I buy a couple of other lenses I will be up to $3,200-$3,500. I don't have so much a problem with spending that right now as I have with the probability that another camera in the $2,000-$2,500 bracket will come out with similar specs and superior autofocus. So my current thinking is this: should I purchase the Panasonic DC-G9 with the Panasonic 12-60 lens for $1,600 and wait for the "perfect" camera to come out? That camera(DC-G9 ) would pair nicely with the Fz 2500 for shooting interviews and documentaries. It would probably also work well for shooting sporting events and Irish dances as long as I stayed off the autofocus. Then, when the camera I'm waiting for comes out, wouldn't the DC – G9 be the perfect B roll cam? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old March 25th, 2021, 05:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: So I'm in a bit of a quandary right now,

You'll tie yourself up in knots trying to find the perfect camera. I would be realistic about what you're dissatisfied with your current setup and then decide on what camera would solve it. If you put too many requirements or different uses you will not be able to find the perfect camera. You list things that are at odds with each other. Take focus. For a sit down interview the subject is stationary so great auto focus isnt necessary. But if you have decided that auto focus is the area you want improvement then Canon and Sony is where you need to go. I assume you dont want to leave the Panasonic eco system so you can either play waiting game (years) and never get satisfaction or just accept it as it is. You mentioned live staged events, I know its popular to try to repurpose mirrorless and dslr cameras for this use but honestly camcorders are the more appropriate tool for that work.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2021, 04:10 PM   #3
Major Player

I own an FZ2500 and an S5, the S5 have owned for three months. The advantages of the S5 over the FZ2500 are low light ability, weather and dust sealing, and full-frame stills capability which may be important to you if like me you also do (very) occasional commercial photo shoots. I don't know why the S5 autofocus is considered such an issue. It's fine for capturing focus and then switching to manual and it's not as though the Canon or Sony autofocus is perfect either. Has autofocus been an issue on your FZ2500? The autofocus on the S5 is better and highly customisable - I've found it useful on a live performance shoot where people cross in front of the camera, and no issue following horses in showjumping. The real issue could be the price of lenses vs ROI. The FZ2500 covers long range. Low light, I use cheap Canon lenses with an adapter on the S5, but mostly I keep the kit lens on. Really hard pressed to identify anything extra I might ever need in a GP camera, and my GAS has turned into GDS (disposal). The G9 is a good camera, but same autofocus and you'll always have the niggling doubt about MFT.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2021, 05:22 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Usually you're trading one set of issues for another. on the one hand full frame is better in low light on the other hand the lenses are really expensive big and heavy, you don't have as much reach, and the shallow dof can be good or bad depending on the situation. beautiful bokeh until your subject is out of focus and you didn't realize it because of the small lcd. no one will argue that the s5 delivers a good image and the price is very appealing compared to the competition. I think the reason for this discount is the lens cost and auto focus.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series