Panasonic GH5/GH5s Internal Pre-Amp at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old July 16th, 2023, 05:39 AM   #1
Trustee

Panasonic GH5/GH5s Internal Pre-Amp

Good Morning Forum:

Does the GH5/GH5s utilize the same internal audio pre-amp/amplifier regardless if I use the Panasonic DMW-XLR1 hot shoe adapter OR just plugging a mic directly into the mini jack on the side? The reason I ask is because my Panasonic DMW-XLR1 is acting a bit finnicky and I am toying with the idea of getting a Beachtek external XLR module that pluigs into the mic mini jack instead of the camera's hot shoe. Thoughts? Will I get the same audio quality using a good, Beachtek XLR product plugged into the mic mini jack versus using the DMW XLR1 connected to the hot shoe since both items have the same gain/limiter controls etc an dboth take XLR cables and mics?

Thank you!
Old July 16th, 2023, 01:42 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Panasonic GH5/GH5s Internal Pre-Amp

Good morning Hugh, it’s 5.40 here in Sydney and we’re up watching the 2023 men’s final at Wimbledon and I see your post.

I don’t have any of that gear but I and others will want to know, what do you mean by ‘acting a bit finnicky?’ Can you describe what that is and what you’re hearing also what do you usually record audio wise?

Just guessing here. Could it be oxidisation of your audio contacts? Try cleaning them with iso-propyl alchohol and a clean cloth.

Novak one set up. Looks like he’ll match Rogers all time record.
Cheers.
Old July 17th, 2023, 05:07 PM   #3
Trustee

Cheers Allan!

When I'm up that early it's usually insomnia. :-( When I say finnicky the sound just sometimes cuts out, as if the unit is not making full contact with the camera's hot shoe. And I keep all the contacts scrupulously clean. The unit itself is all plastic and I feel could be a bit more robust, especially with how it sits atop the camera. The top of the DMW-XLR1 has a cold shoe but I dare not ever connect anything to THAT because the adapter seems like anything heavy on top of it may break it off from the hot shoe adapter.

I'm going to test this new Beachtek device which seems a bit more heavy duty with its own preamps.
Old July 18th, 2023, 08:42 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I have been using the DMW-XLR unit since I bought my GH5 when it came out years ago. It now does duty on both my GH5S and the GH6. I use a RODE NT2 with isolation holder on the cold shoe you seemed so worried about. The cable clips around neatly in the holders on the unit. I often also plug in a feed from the theatre sound board with a separate XLR cable just hanging down. You MUST make sure the latch is fully closed that attaches the XLR unit to the camera. Just pushing the unit into the shoe will not work. Rotate the small lever to the right to lock in place. You will get better sound with the DMW-XLR as I mentioned in my other post as all the aftermarket units still have to use the camera mic preamps.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2023, 11:30 PM   #5
Equal Opportunity Offender

The product is no longer available after the company was shut down, but products such as the juicedLink "Riggy Assist Low-Noise Preamp" had their day when it came to getting good audio out of digital stills cameras (where the mic amps were nosier than you get in pro gear).

Essentially it disabled the auto-gain control and fed through an optimised signal from the interface unit, resulting in the cleanest possible audio on the internal recordings.

See this product page at B&H: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2855/KBID/3801

You may find second hand units in the usual marketplaces. Noisy preamps are just one of those things you have to contend with when using equipment that was never designed from the ground up for pro video.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series