Mix clips between a small camera and GH6. I'm looking for info - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 3rd, 2024, 01:19 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Mix clips between a small camera and GH6. I'm looking for info

I'd like to understand the speed of the first microSD (V30) is 200 MB/s and the second one (V90) is 160 MB/s. I am not an expert, maybe am I wrong?

Old February 3rd, 2024, 01:33 PM   #17
Vortex Media

Plan for the future, not just to meet the very minimum specifications you THINK you can get away with today. Cards are dirt cheap now. There's no reason not to invest in better cards.

https://progradedigital.com/memory-c...gital-cameras/

"SDXC V60 and SDXC V90 Memory Cards

Not all SDXC cards are created equal. They differ greatly in both the read and write speeds. Latter is especially important when shooting video, as that requires a stable minimum write speed to avoid frame drops and errors during recording.

SDXC cards that can handle large amounts of streaming data carry a Video Speed Class rating. This is marked on the card with the letter “V” followed by a number. The “V” stands for video, and the number displays the minimum sequential write speed in MB/s. For example, the write speed of the V90 card is guaranteed not to drop below 90MB/s.

Since higher-speed cards can handle more data in the same amount of time, they allow digital cameras to do more. Just put an SDXC V60 or V90 card in your camera (instead of a slower V30), and a whole new world of possibilities opens up for you. Memory cards for digital cameras have come a long way!

For instance, the V30 card limits the Sony a7s III camera to a mere 1080p video at 120fps. Plus, you can’t go above 4:2:0 8 bit colors or exceed 100mbps data rate. SDXC V60 cards, at the same time, can easily handle 280mbps and allow you to shoot 4K video at 120fps with 4:2:2 10 bit colors. SDXC V90 cards push this even further and let you shoot 4K at 600mbps.

Similar opportunities arise with Nikon, Panasonic, Canon, and other digital cameras when faster cards are used. For that reason, dedicated photographers and cinematographers should always stick to either SDXC V60 or SDXC V90 memory cards whenever using an SD-card-compatible camera."
Old February 3rd, 2024, 02:20 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Shooting 4K for many years using cards with the U3 designation in a number of cameras has never been a problem.

But to be sure, I've just recorded a 4K 120 slo-mo sequence in 10 bit with no problems on my Pocket 3 using this card and it worked perfectly. Buy more expensive faster cards if you want but the P3 will probably not be able to take advantage of it.

https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/attachm...1&d=1706991602
Attached Thumbnails
Mix clips between a small camera and GH6. I'm looking for info-sc-card.jpg  
Tony Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2024, 02:27 PM   #19
Trustee

Adriano …. Interesting thread you have here. There is often a conundrum with trying to select something to buy in tech because the technical stuff keeps changing. Doug wrote a good post about SD cards and as the little cards have also been really changing he did a good job in explaining the various differences. And, made a good point about getting better cards.

While the years have gone by I’ve managed to collect a number of cards but have difficulty throwing the old ones away. You never can tell when you might need one, maybe even to sell an old item? The good part is they don’t take up much room and it takes time to figure out what to get rid of. Dug into a zip-loc bag with my SD card and thumb drive collection and thought I’d share a bit of history.

The picture shows how they’ve changed in size, both physically and in capability. Omitted is the micro size because they’re being used, but included the new Sony Tough card, and, since the bag also had thumb drives, the oldie but goodie (can’t bear to part with) PNY 16G thumb drive (that cost quite a bit back in the day).

As a justification for paying less for a new card, say, for example, one that will do what you want for now, perhaps when it (the existing card) does get upgraded the old one could be re-purposed in another device such as a recorder, or? Just a thought. But sooner or later, whatever one gets, it will (speaking for myself) eventually wind up in the oldie-but-goodie collection.

Edit: Sorry for the poor quality of the picture. The original file size was too large so downsized it, consequently, the detail was lost; already deleted the original. The lower left SD card is 32GB/U1/C10/45mb/HC1; next is 64GB/U3/C10/95mb/XC1; then 128GB/U3/C10/95mb. The Tough card is 64GB/300r/299w/V90/U3/SCII ($!)
The two upper left are circa ~2000±, I think.
As a X3000 user, its good to read posts about use of the small sport-sized cams.
Attached Thumbnails
Mix clips between a small camera and GH6. I'm looking for info-img_7687.jpg  

Last edited by John Nantz; February 4th, 2024 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Added picture comment
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2024, 02:16 AM   #20
Major Player

It is nice to read all these interesting threads. I'm enjoying.
I am learning various things from you that I didn't know, but a question comes to me spontaneously:
I have a Sony SD that I compacted when I had an old camera, about 6-7 years ago. I also used it with the subsequent Lumix GH5, and now I'm also using it with the Lumix GH6 in 4K. Of course, I mainly use CFexpress but sometimes (rarely) also old Sony SDs.
Why today buy a V90 microSD for the Osmo Pocket 3 and spend 3 times more than a normal microSD that can easily be used by the Osmo Pocket 3 without problems? Surely when I change the Pocket 3 in a few years and I have a new camera, I will buy a new microSD suitable for that camera. So the microSD will be new, while the V90 microSD that I bought a few years earlier, after several years of use, will have become old and worn. This way I will spend less and get the same results.
Old February 5th, 2024, 02:22 PM   #21
Regular Crew

This is true. I have a number of very old SD cards I bought to record in AVCHD camcorders when they first came out. Some of those cards still work and I use them in my audio recorders now.

I bought new SD cards for my 4K cameras and will buy new media when I start recording in 8K, which hopefully will be fairly soon.

If you buy high-performance SD cards hoping that they will be usable in future generations of equipment they may turn out not to be suitable and will probably be superseded by cards that are much faster and cheaper than any you can buy now.
Tony Neal is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series