Mix clips between a small camera and GH6. I'm looking for info at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old January 27th, 2024, 11:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Mix clips between a small camera and GH6. I'm looking for info

Hi, I have a GH6 with which I only take 4K videos. I'm going on a trip soon and I should take some shots of rituals inside homes. Not at night but during the day. I can't film with the GH6 because it would be too annoying. I would like a small camera that works well in 4K (if it also works well in AUTO, it is even better) and whose clips can be mixed with those made with the GH6 outdoors without too many quality differences. Again, I will only use it indoors. Should I buy it, do you recommend any small or very small cameras at an affordable cost? Thank you
Old January 27th, 2024, 07:05 PM   #2
Equal Opportunity Offender

Re: Mix clips between a small camera and GH6. I'm looking for info

What sort of rituals are you planning on filming?

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2024, 01:41 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
What sort of rituals are you planning on filming?
Filipino healers
Old January 28th, 2024, 02:19 AM   #4
Major Player

I would suggest the GoPro Hero 12 black. It is fully auto but with manual options if preferred, shoots up to 5.3k 10-bit in GPlog or Flat to make it easier to match with other cameras in post and Linear if you don't like the fisheye effect. Hypersmooth means no need of a tripod most of the time.

I have partnered mine with a Sennheiser MKE 200 microphone and it makes an excellent combo. The Rode Videomicro works well too, but the Sennheiser is less obtrusive.
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2024, 02:33 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Baker View Post
I would suggest the GoPro Hero 12 black.
But can it shoots indoors with ambient light?
Don't you think DJI Osmo Pocket 3 Creator Combo is better since it has a CMOS da 1'' sensor?
Thank you
Old January 28th, 2024, 08:06 AM   #6
Vortex Media

Sensor size is not the only thing that effects performance in low light. You need to dig deeper if you want to compare cameras properly.
Old January 28th, 2024, 08:30 AM   #7
Major Player

I can't speak for the Osmo, I've never tried one, but I have had good results from the Hero 7 (8-bit no log) and the Hero 11 (10-bit no log), both indoors and outdoors at night with only available light. The Hero 12 is almost exactly the same as the 11, but with GPlog and a few other additional settings plus, at last, a tripod bush. Like any camera, GoPros take a while to find the best settings for your useage, but the Hero 12 allows saving and naming presets for particular scenarios, for almost instant recall.

Add the Mediamod and it has a reasonable microphone, two cold shoes in one of which I fit my preferred Sennheiser, along with mini-HDMI, USB-C and 3.5mm microphone sockets.
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2024, 11:17 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
But can it shoots indoors with ambient light?
Don't you think DJI Osmo Pocket 3 Creator Combo is better since it has a CMOS da 1'' sensor?
Thank you
yeah you'll need some sort of 1" small camera. I'd pick either Osmo Pocket 3 or Action 4. Ironically both by DJI. Both would be great to have outside of this situation.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2024, 12:46 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
yeah you'll need some sort of 1" small camera. I'd pick either Osmo Pocket 3 or Action 4. Ironically both by DJI. Both would be great to have outside of this situation.
I think with Action 4 you get better video quality than Pocket 3 but I think Pocket 3 is more versatile for filming. I never will use Action 4 in sport time or or diving. What would you buy between them?
Old January 29th, 2024, 01:52 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
I think with Action 4 you get better video quality than Pocket 3 but I think Pocket 3 is more versatile for filming. I never will use Action 4 in sport time or or diving. What would you buy between them?
Even though you don't do sports one advantage of the an action camera is compactness and durability.

There a few things you can do with an action camera:
-mount it on top of your GH6 this provides two fields of view while filming
-mount it to you chest or head. frees up your hands
-mount it to dashboard of car or even outside the car to film you driving to a location

The pocket is the better for walking around although it's main advantage is filming yourself which you might not need. The only downside is its more fragile and the case is a bit awkward and it isn't weather sealed so if you get caught out in the rain... Maybe get insurance if you can. Out in the field not hard to drop or damage when you're juggling equipment in the dark.

I still do like the pocket but saying that I haven't used it.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2024, 02:45 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I have a GH5, a Hero 7, a Pocket 2 and now a Pocket 3, which is now my preferred camera due to its excellent image quality, and sheer convenience. It can shoot in 10 bit log and has a low light mode but it is so compact and convenient that I now use it for promo shoots.

Two advantages of the P3 for your work is that you can place it on its tripod, step away and control it remotely as a PTZ camera using your smartphone, while placing the DJI Mic 2 radio mike wherever convenient. The Mic 2 will also record independently in 32 bit float while the P3 records from its own mikes. Altogether, the P3 with the Creator Combo is an incredibly capable package.
Tony Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2024, 12:38 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Neal View Post
I have a GH5, a Hero 7, a Pocket 2 and now a Pocket 3, which is now my preferred camera due to its excellent image quality,
Hello I I just ordered the Pocket 3 and am waiting for it. Can you tell me what precise type of microSD I should buy and what capacity? An hour of recording in 4K 50p 10 bit, how much space could it take up? Thank you.

Is this OK?
https://www.amazon.it/SanDisk-microS...%2C291&sr=8-13

Or is this better for Pocket 3?
https://www.amazon.it/SanDisk-microS...s%2C291&sr=8-8
Old February 2nd, 2024, 05:59 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Good choice.

You need the second one, designated U3, for 4K 50p recording. I've never had a problem with Sandisk Extreme SD cards.

I recorded 3.5 mins of 10 bit HEVC today and it took up 2.88GB so a 256GB card should give you at least 4 hours of recording, but your batteries will probably last less than half of that time.
Tony Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2024, 01:28 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Neal View Post
You need the second one, designated U3, for 4K 50p recording. I've never had a problem with Sandisk Extreme SD cards.
Since the price is not much different, do you think the "PRO" of Sandisk version is even better? Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Mix clips between a small camera and GH6. I'm looking for info-ok.jpg  
Old February 3rd, 2024, 10:25 AM   #15
Vortex Media

In 2024, I wouldn't spend money on any card that is not at least V90.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series