Panasonic please respond... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old November 16th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #1
Major Player

Panasonic please respond...

... to the gauntlet that has been thrown down by Sony. They've announced three affordable pro level cameras that use solid state memory, one of them with 1/2" chips. As far as I can tell the only thing Panasonic has been doing lately is concentrating on the low level prosumer stuff. Where's the HVX200a, with improved noise levels and other upgrades? Where's your answer to Sony? Please, give me a reason to stick with P2, even if it's just "we've got some great news that we can't tell you about right now." Please? Because right now I'm close to jumping ship.
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 11:19 AM   #2
Major Player

The rolling shutter and long GOP on the Sony requires an "answer" from Panasonic?

I agree that there are issues with noise, but what do you want other than that?

1/2 chips with CCDs. Panasonic sells that already.
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 11:37 AM   #3
Major Player

I agree, if you are going to go ahead and "jump ship" based on that alone feel free.

In my mind Panasonic has almost every market covered with a fine product.
Matt Gottshalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

You consider the $48,000 (body-only) HPX3000 "low level prosumer stuff"....? And who said we all want 1/2" chips, or fixed-lens cameras? Many of us didn't get into P2 until Panasonic released 2/3" P2 cameras w/ B4 mount lenses... skipped right past the 200. That said, would I buy a PMW-EX1 instead of a HVX200 if I was looking for that type of camera? Quite possibly. The pro video world doesn't end at fixed-lens cams, though....
Bob Woodhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 12:37 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Woodhead View Post
You consider the $48,000 (body-only) HPX3000 "low level prosumer stuff"....? And who said we all want 1/2" chips, or fixed-lens cameras? Many of us didn't get into P2 until Panasonic released 2/3" P2 cameras w/ B4 mount lenses... skipped right past the 200.
Thats great for you if you can afford something in that league. I can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Woodhead View Post
That said, would I buy a PMW-EX1 instead of a HVX200 if I was looking for that type of camera? Quite possibly. The pro video world doesn't end at fixed-lens cams, though....
Two of the new Sony cams have interchangeable lenses, including a handheld one. They also record to both solid state and tape simultaneously, meaning you've got in instant tape backup and archive.
Old November 16th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Saraceno View Post
The rolling shutter and long GOP on the Sony requires an "answer" from Panasonic?
Sony has *supposedly* dealt with the rolling shtter issue. The long GOP is a non-issue for me when recording to solid state media. Just becaue a camera shoots in long GOP doesn't mean you have to edit in that form. You can certainly convert it to something else.

Quote:
I agree that there are issues with noise, but what do you want other than that?
The noise is the (major) issue for me. I have the unfortunate situation of not being able to use supplemental lighting for many shoots.

Quote:
1/2 chips with CCDs. Panasonic sells that already.
Not at the $7000 or less prce tag they don't. I'm specifically talking about cams in the league of the HVX200.
Old November 16th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gottshalk View Post
I agree, if you are going to go ahead and "jump ship" based on that alone feel free.
That "alone" is a major issue for a lot of people. Excessive image noise is a big deal, to me at least. If a camera isn't producing the kind of image I expect, it's kind of a deal breaker.
Old November 16th, 2007, 01:09 PM   #8
Trustee

Calm down fellas, the Panny response is gonna come soon enough. How does he know this you might ask? I don't. I'm not an insider. I do however have some common sense. Let's look at the facts:
1) the HVX is several years old already and you know a replacement is coming soon.
2) Panasonic never really released as many different types of cameras as Sony did/does. When Sony was releasing the VX2000, PD150, VX2100, PD170, TRV900, TRV950, Z1U, FX1, A1U, FX7, V1U, Panasonic had the DVX100a, DVX100b, and HXV200.
3) Panasonic did very well with the HVX200 no matter what cameras were being released around it. why spend a lot of money to change things, or add things when your product is still selling as well as anything out there?

Just be a little patient unless you must have a new camera today for some reason. If Panny doesn't have HXV successor out by the time you need something, then reluctantly buy the newest Sony that can tide you over till they do. It's not like having to shoot a few jobs on an EX1 will be tantamount to pulling out your mom's old VHS camcorder from the early 80's.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I feel Bill's pain.

I want to buy into a family of cameras so they will all intercut.

If you pick a Sony for a few jobs and also have a Panasonic, they never look the same with mulit-camera work.

I am stuck right now because the Sony EX looks like a good value, but the larger XDCAMs don't really shoot 720p60, which I want.

The HPX-500 looks like a good value, but the HVX-200 seems a bit challenged in the light/noise area plus I just have a problem "upgrading" to a 1/3" chip camera.

In the DV days, the cameras seemed to be more affordable and you could think of buying two or three of the same camera for continuity. I am speaking of 1/2" chip cameras.

With HD pricing, I am forced to buy one large camera and suppliment with the best small camera(s) to be able to afford to upgrade.

So I too am wanting Panasonic to answer the Sony EX to give me a stronger reason to stay with Panasonic for my HD upgrade.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Edmunds View Post
Sony has *supposedly* dealt with the rolling shtter issue. The long GOP is a non-issue for me when recording to solid state media. Just becaue a camera shoots in long GOP doesn't mean you have to edit in that form. You can certainly convert it to something else.
Even when you transcode, you are transcoding Long GOP with all the attendant artifacting. And that takes time.

That is an issue for me. We had two Sony 3-chip cams, and the artifacting and Long GOP were issues.
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 07:49 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Edmunds View Post

The noise is the (major) issue for me. I have the unfortunate situation of not being able to use supplemental lighting for many shoots.
I am not dishing out the HVX202 just because its noise level is "excessive" in low light. I just remove it - "wipe it out" - if you like. I am also in the same boat as you. Filming inside rainforests, in the mountains under heavy cloud cover, inside monasteries with just the lighting from the ceilings, etc. Run Adobe After Effects with the Neat Video plugin. It does miracles to noisy videos - try it ... the results are simply spectacular. A US$99 software solution versus US$5000 hardware "upgrade".
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TingSern Wong View Post
I am not dishing out the HVX202 just because its noise level is "excessive" in low light. I just remove it - "wipe it out" - if you like. I am also in the same boat as you. Filming inside rainforests, in the mountains under heavy cloud cover, inside monasteries with just the lighting from the ceilings, etc. Run Adobe After Effects with the Neat Video plugin. It does miracles to noisy videos - try it ... the results are simply spectacular. A US$99 software solution versus US$5000 h/w.
Can you post some comparison images illustrating what you have done? I never trust images on the manufacturer's web site.
Old November 17th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #13
Major Player

Can this website accept a 5MB video? If not, please provide me an email id where I can upload my video to you - and you see for yourself. Please ensure that email id can accept an attachment of at least 5MB.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 08:00 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TingSern Wong View Post
Can this website accept a 5MB video? If not, please provide me an email id where I can upload my video to you - and you see for yourself. Please ensure that email id can accept an attachment of at least 5MB.
Great! My email is excaliburvideo@adelphia.net. I can accept up to 8 or 9 mb at a time. Even posting some still images would be fine.
Old November 17th, 2007, 08:06 AM   #15
Major Player

Okay ... please be patient ... will get it out to you - and you see. Please feedback to this website after you have taken a look at it. Still images don't do justice to the Neat Video plugin. You have to see the video itself.

The first 4 seconds is the original HVX202 (same camera as your HVX200 - except this is the PAL version) clip. The next 4 seconds is what comes out from After Effect with the Neat Video processing. I have lightened the video so that you can see the noise in the background. Compressed by Sorenson Squeeze.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders