HVX Footage in Finished to DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old March 27th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HVX Footage in Finished to DVD

HVX 24p Post footage looks great on my monitors, but output to DVD seems to stutter when slow pans or tilts are taken.

Is there a reason for this and a work around to make the footage look smooth and silky?
Michael Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #2
Major Player

it would be helpful if you provided the details of your workflow.

platform
authoring app
encoding app
length of the video and menus in total minutes
SD or HD
treatment of audio, ie aiff or ac3/dolby2
maximum video bit rate
target video bit rate
set top played on
tv
hdmi component or composite
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

Michael,

You might simply be seeing the results of the 24p "effect" on camera or subject movement. This motion blur can often be exaggerated when muxed down to MPEG-2 DVD standards because you're throwing away a lot of information to compress it down to that spec.

In a recent thread I posted here specifically about motion-blur relative to 24p, video cameras seem to exhibit more motion blur in 24p than actual film cameras do. Remember that "24p" in a video camera is a simulation of how film looks at 24 frames per second; there is no physical shutter inside a video camera which means {the camera} has to use software and chipset trickery to create this simulated shutter effect.

The interesting thing, is that with the HVX200 and HPX500 30p actually *looks* more like film @ 180deg shutter than the 24p setting - specifically when it comes to motion - however, because of tele-cine and other technical requirements you have to shoot 24p for almost all commercial projects.

If you're not in a film-transfer workflow or having to interface with other edit systems that require a 24p timeline try using 30p, chances are you'll like the look better from that camera.

A side note: The Varicam @ 24p really does simulate film @ 180deg much more accurately, more-so than even the F900 series.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 09:40 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Robert,

Thanks for the information. I understand that the 24p look only simulates the film look. I'll have to try the 30p. I like the native 24p workflow with the P2 cards and FS100 allowing larger storage. But the look or end result. Sometimes is great! But for any moving shots, I notice a lot of motion blur, which loses detail.

I'll have to check my Avid system to see if there is a way to convert this for finishing.
Michael Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 01:57 PM   #5
Major Player

Michael:

Part of your issues also may be attributable to how you encoded.

Hence, my questions.

If you could take a few minutes to respond to each, we might be able to help you further.
David Saraceno is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders