Shooting MOS with P2 and card space. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old November 8th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #1
Major Player

Shooting MOS with P2 and card space.

Hello.

Regarding the HPX170 or 200.

I've been wondering about this one: Let's say you are shooting B roll stuff, and have no need or don't want any sound recorded with the video footage.

1) Can you do this?

2) If it is possible, how much more space/shooting time would you gain by not having the audio part of the video?

3) Even if you don't save much card space, would just turning the audio sound levels to 0 be like turning off the audio?

Thanks.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

1. Yes (see #3).

2. Sorry, you're not going to gain any significant amount of video recording time by not recording audio.

3. Yes.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I don't think you can save data space just by turning off the sound...I may be wrong
Interesting to find this out
Charlie Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The HPX170 actually has a menu function for shutting off the camera's internal mics. The HVX does not. In either case, the actual audio tracks 3 and 4 are still present in the .MXF file. The data space required should be negligible and it doesn't really matter anyway because there is no way to disable the camera recording them, even if they contain no sound.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks fellows.

Just what I was looking for.

It's been so long that I've been thinking about getting a camera, that the 170 came out and it now seems that that is the camera for me, eventually. For now I'm renting 200 for my new video biz. If I ever make enough money, it's the 170. Unless I procrastinate long enough and there is a 175..

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #6
Inner Circle

If you have not read it already, you might find this to be good reading Panasonic's HPX170

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #7
Better than Halle Berry

Yeah you can mute the audio but you cannot record video clips without audio attached and it's not a way to save space. And ever if it were the space saved would be negligible.

-Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #8
New Boot

When I record 720/ 24pN and choose not to shoot at 24fps, I record no sound.

Hmmm. I understand the reason for this. But I wonder if it can be used for your purposes?

Try setting your camera to 720/ 24pN, and change the framerate to 22fps or 26fps. My guess is that no sound will be recorded, and the video will look similar to the video you normally record.

-Andrew Burke
Andrew Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 10:45 AM   #9
Better than Halle Berry

Yeah there is no sound recorded when you are in variable frame rates but also 26fps is kinda useless if you're not wanting slow motion. And again the savings in recording time might be around 1% across a whole P2 card. Get another P2 card instead....

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders