MXF (DVCProHD): Grainy Image. Please Help. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old December 5th, 2008, 11:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

MXF (DVCProHD): Grainy Image. Please Help.

hello there...

i'm having this little problem when importing mxf / dvcpro hd files into a final cut pro 6 project. (working on a standard macbook with its onboard video card). the picture in the log and trasfer preview window is crystal clear, but once it's been imported and placed in the timeline, it looks very grainy both in viewer and canvas. is this a macbook video card issue or could my import settings be wrong? and generally, what are the correct project settings for importing mxf / dvcpro hd 1080p25 material?

Lord Byron
Aram Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Better than Halle Berry

What you see in FCP is a proxy image. You'd need to hook up an external HD monitor to see the true image which I'll bet is clean if you shot without gain in decent lighting.

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

but even when i export it to quicktime it's still grainy...

yes, i understand i need to hook it up to a decent monitor, but why would my hdv videos (shot with a sony v1 or z1) look much sharper and cleaner on the same macbook's display while this hd footage shot with a panasonic p2 (and i spent a looooot of money to rent it because of its acclaimed quality) looks obviously grainy and unclean?

Lord Byron
Aram Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #4
Better than Halle Berry

Because it's a proxy. You want to see the actual quality you should be looking at a monitor not on your laptop's screen. Post a still if you'd like to because remember we can't see your computer from here.

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 01:04 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I was running into the same issue with my MXF files in FCP on my big machine. Once off loaded, they were fine.
Derek Nickell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders