Panasonic HD (moved from Area 51 forum) - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old February 6th, 2005, 12:23 PM   #31
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Jefferson : ive seen 128GB cards available... more than enough for 25mbps recording. Just take a card out on each jkob and dont think about changing tape :)

other cards work as adapters and allow the use of 4 SD cards
I hav a brochure here... i just wish i could post an image of it.. -->>>

Did you actually mean 128 GB SD cards? Don't they have some kind of limit that's far under that?
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 07:28 AM   #32
Inner Circle

no Jesse.. actual 128gb P2 cards..

SD cards only go up to 2gb at this point in time.. im sure theyll improve that by the time the cams come out ;)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #33
Major Player

again!

look what i heard!

today i was in kind of bussines meeting with some people. i CANNOT say who they are (you will probably recognize the source), but the CONFIRMED info was following:

- company name P*******C
- appearance with new camcorder on this years NAB! (not mock-up! but working model)
- it's HD(V?)
- 50mb/s rate!!!
- solid state p2 solution
- progressive mode
- to hit the market - summer this year!
- price range similar to sony HDV (no info which one FX1 or Z1)
- possibly faster frame rates than 24/25/30 fps
- significant price drop for P2 cards!

so if this is true or close to - it looks that this link,

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...o-04_18_04.htm

mentioned earlier - is either an inspiration for the people on that meeting today, or their info is confirmation about nearest future. no info about 2006, just for summer this year. which looks much better for us.

and they said - well, this is JUST THE BEGINING!!!

ok. now - i know that many of you may say - hey there is nothing new here - the poor guy just edited our text and thoughts about pana rumors. nice. but i just wanted to say what i heared. they just said so.

filip
Old February 11th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #34
Obstreperous Rex

Interesting! But I'll stand by my assertion that it ain't HDV (can't be, as that company is not an HDV consortium member) but most likely it records in an HD format that has been in existence for awhile now.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2005, 06:36 PM   #35
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Interesting! But I'll stand by my assertion that it ain't HDV (can't be, as that company is not an HDV consortium member) but most likely it records in an HD format that has been in existence for awhile now. -->>>

that's the reason i used "( )" with "v" inside. i didn't received direct answer is it HDV?

is it HDV? - no specific answer
is it HD - yes!
what kind of HD - no specific answer... just: 50mb/s

and kind of misterious smiles, like - you will see... soon...

well, let's wait and see:)

filip
Old February 11th, 2005, 08:05 PM   #36
Major Player

Welp,

If it's a better cordless drill then the one I have now....I'll buy one. *shrugs*

In the meantime, I'll use the cordless drill I just bought to continue building houses. I should have built enough houses by the time the new drill comes out to have paid for my current drill.

Others who wish to wait idly-by, twidling their thumbs for the realease of the new upcoming feature-packed cordless drill, can do so......... ME...........I'm going to work.

*wink*

- ShannonRawls.com
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2005, 10:41 PM   #37
Contributor

As far as I can remember the only 50 Mbps codec is DVCPRO50 (D9), not HD. And then there is DVCPROHD (D-9HD) that runs at 100 Mbps for 1280x720.

So is it MPEG2-based? That would make it similar to HDV, like an "HDVPRO" kind of thing. Or it could be MPEG4 based, an AVC implementation. That would be groundbreaking stuff. MPEG4 AVC @ 50 Mbps would VERY high quality!

Can't wait to know more.
Old February 12th, 2005, 12:16 AM   #38
Obstreperous Rex

<< In the meantime, I'll use the cordless drill I just bought to continue building houses. I should have built enough houses by the time the new drill comes out to have paid for my current drill. >>

Man, finally! Finally someone around here understands exactly how this process is supposed to work! Thanks Shannon, I keep telling some of these guys that the power tools should pay for themselves within 60 to 90 days or so and then you sell it and move up to the new one. Maybe they'll listen to you, I never seem to be able to get this point across.

Guys, if you're waiting, you're not creating! Buy what you need Now... then sell it... and buy the next new thing. Lather, rinse, repeat. And save your original boxes.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2005, 04:39 AM   #39
Major Player

chris,

do not forget about collectors ;)

thay just LOVE nice things...

filip
Old February 12th, 2005, 03:26 PM   #40
Major Player

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...B-with-24P.htm

So it records to MiniDV as well, eh?
Old February 12th, 2005, 03:39 PM   #41
Major Player

hm,

it looks that my source was not kidding... nice!

filip

p.s.

i just bought Z1...

no comments
Old February 12th, 2005, 04:18 PM   #42
Major Player

I think that as long as this psonic camera is closer to 10k than to the fx1 - both the fx1/z1 one will be safe.

Now how low would the price have to be to make fx1/z1 purchasers consider this camera in their evaluations I don't know.

Its good for everybody that Panasonic is making a camera such as this, but I don't really think its going to effect much of us on the <$4k end of the spectrum.

I guess we'll all see soon though.
Old February 12th, 2005, 11:48 PM   #43
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Brandon Greenlee : http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...B-with-24P.htm

So it records to MiniDV as well, eh? -->>>

no it wont do that.. they woudlnt go to this much trouble if it did.. it would defeat the purpose of P2. most likely it will have 2 p2 slots which can be removed on the fly...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2005, 12:56 PM   #44
Inner Circle

Another term for dvcpro hd is dv100, a spec promoted by Pana and JVC since late 90's.

It uses the same error correction algorithm as dv25, but less compression (3 to 1 instead of 5 to 1), and of course larger resolution. 1280x720x60p at 8bit 4:2:2 sampling with 3:1 compression works out to 100mb (megabits not bytes). And like Dv25 its a lossy codec, but the same would apply to converting to mpeg2 also.

Seems Pana will have their version out before JVC. I half expect to see D9HD in the not so distant future even if JVC is part of the HDV consortium.

FYI, If I remember correctly, 1280x720 at 60p was supposed to be specifically for live sporting events.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2005, 03:19 AM   #45
Barry Wan Kenobi

A small correction, the compression ratio for DVCPRO50 is 3.3:1, but for DVCPRO-HD it's more like 6.7:1. It's capable of recording both 1080i and 720p. The new HDX400 is a DVCPRO-HD 1080i camera, and the VariCam is a DVCPRO-HD 720p camera.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders