Panasonic HD (moved from Area 51 forum) - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old February 26th, 2005, 11:40 AM   #46
Contributor

> The new HDX400 is a DVCPRO-HD 1080i camera

Yes. So I had been led to believe... but the HDX100 is 720p, is it not?
Old February 26th, 2005, 01:17 PM   #47
Major Player

We don't know yet. There's been no official release but I highly suspect it will be 720p. 1080 would be a hard bandwidth to pull off in this price range.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2005, 06:30 PM   #48
Inner Circle

it'll be like the JVC build, native 720p, with 1080i upscalability...
in the end 720p is alot more eficient in editing , storage etc etc.. and you dont need a dual xeon to get results...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2005, 09:12 PM   #49
Contributor

Hmm I wouldn't know about the dual Xeon since I use FCP... however: DVCPROHD is 100 Mbps for both 720p or 1080i, so in terms of bandwidth management there should be no difference.

As I understand it, the HDX100 will do 720p (as well as some sort of SD) and the HDX400 will do 1080i. What is not clear is if the model that supports 1080i will also do 720p or SD, or if they both have tape transports as well as the P2 slot. 720p60, at 100 Mbps, cannot be written to a standard DV tape. The cameras are also said to support various frame rates, and at least one of them will do 24p, which should bring the bandwidth down to 40 Mbps, still not low enough for an inexpensive tape transport, but --if my math is right-- low enough for a 16 Gbyte P2 card to hold almost an hour of video.

There actually was a press conference a few days ago where at least one of the new models were mentioned and some specs were revealed. Information from this conference, as well as informal conversations between members here and Panasonic insiders have leaked and this is why we are talking about this here. But Panasonic asked the press not to disseminate any information until a later date.

This is NOT about the consumerish mock-ups with a pistol grip and a super-8 like look. This might be the direct replacement of the DVX100 in Panasonic's prosumer front and it seems to directly compete with the Sony FX1/Z1.
Old February 27th, 2005, 05:36 AM   #50
Panasonic Broadcast

<<<-- Originally posted by Ignacio Rodriguez :
This is NOT about the consumerish mock-ups with a pistol grip and a super-8 like look. This might be the direct replacement of the DVX100 in Panasonic's prosumer front and it seems to directly compete with the Sony FX1/Z1. -->>>

Ignacio, absolutely right on point one, it is not like any of the consumerish mock-ups with a pistol grip and a super-8 like look. Point two, no, it is not a replacement for the DVX100 and competition for the the FX1. It is competition for the Z1.

Hope that guides the thinking here.

Best,

Jan
Jan Crittenden Livingston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders