HPX370 and field monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old March 9th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #1
Major Player

HPX370 and field monitor

If you attach an external monitor through HD-SDI, does the built-in monitor still function for menus?
Philip Fass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: HPX370 and field monitor

Philip,
Attaching a monitor to the HDSDI on P2 cameras doesn't change what the camera monitor/ viewfinder shows you. It is a separate output. Something we would like on other cameras. Now I know some cameras turn off the viewfinder if the side monitor is in use but that is another issue.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 08:26 AM   #3
Major Player

Thank you, Daniel. For a 3 foot SDI/BNC cable, does it matter much whether you use expensive or cheap? I've seen Canare at one end and Monoprice at the other.
Old March 11th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I know for sure that there isn't one home theater enthusiast who wouldn't use Monoprice cables...

IMO, the only practical difference between any cable is the construction/build quality, if you feel that cable X is not going to survive your level of abuse compared to cable Y, get something sturdier. In terms of signal quality, there's no difference, even less so for digital signals than analog.
Konstantin Kovalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #5
Trustee

In my experience HDSDI can run on regular RG59 Video cable up to around 100 feet very reliably.
Check out the chart on this link page for actual SMPTE Specs. I think of it like Radio Mic distances. I did check out my long snakes to see if they could handle HDSDI and swapped out some cables even though they were shorter than the supposed maximum.

Extron Electronics - Distributing High Definition, High Performance Imagery for InfoComm's Large Venue Display Gallery ? How We Do It

I found it on the DVInfo Net discussion

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-...le-length.html

Bad cable can cause problems at any length. I have been in situations where Digital wouldn't pass on a cable which analog would but only for long runs. Problem with Digital is when it does reach it's limits it just stops working while Analog gets worse and worse but still exists.
Old March 12th, 2012, 07:12 AM   #6
Major Player

I've noticed that the B&H website only sells M-M BNC cables, when you'd need a F end for the camera and M for the monitor. Are M-F cables unusual items, or am I missing something?
Old March 12th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #7
Trustee

Philip,
Yes You are missing something. BNC cables are not like audio cables. Gear like the camera and monitor have female ends and cable has male on both sides. Too make longer cables out of shorter ones you use a barrel. (Hey thanks for reminding me I have one barrel in my pocket I have been carrying around for weeks) M-M Cables would be the standard. I have bought inexpensive (dare I say cheap) cables and have had poor consistency. Don't go for the cheapest if you don't have time to test them and return them.
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #8
Major Player

Sorry, my mistake. Waiting for new glasses and couldn't see hole in center post.
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #9
Trustee

No Problem. There are many cable configurations so better to be safe and ask.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders