Please upload a raw MXF taken directly from the P2 card - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old December 30th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #31
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaku Ito
Hey, John Jay,

Okay. I was shooting with defualt scene file for 60p and 1080i, but I guess the sharpness is on at default? I will check this.
Try setting the scene file menu setting "DETAIL LEVEL" to -5 or less. -7 is the minimum. Around -5 seems to be pretty good.

Also, SAVE your settings! If you turn the camera off, your settings will revert to the last time you saved them. Any time you change settings to try something new out, and you want to stick with it, save your settings. Otherwise you might find that you turned the camera off at some point and then the next time you turn it on it'll revert to the old settings, settings that you may not want to be using. So the key rule is to save your settings! (well, that plus never shoot at an iris smaller/bigger number than f/8).
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 12:56 AM   #32
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hewat
1. Would Aspect be powerful enough to handle the HD footage?
2. Do you foresee future versions of a Cineform product for integrating HD footage from this camera directly into Premiere Pro?
3. Is the footage you converted to Cineform AVI degraded? And if so, is it substantial?
1. Yes that is what it is designed from the ground up to do. Remember DVCPRO-HD is lower resolution than its HDV equivalent, so for the Aspect HD workflow today I would recommend up-res'ing the P2 source to 1280x720 or 1440x1080 as appropriate, as Aspect HD is designed for those resolutions (although it can handle 960x720 today if needed.)

2. Yes, at some future time a CineForm product will more directly support the new camera. If Panasonic would be more open to such support, it will be sooner more than later.

3. Technically any transcode is not mathematically lossless, we get about as close as you can get or need. Any work that uses compositing tools will actually benefit from the CineForm compression, resulting in lower generation losses than if you tried to stay within DVCPRO-HD, which is not designed for post. The CineForm approach will protect the image quality, even in more complex work-flows.
Old December 31st, 2005, 09:51 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
(well, that plus never shoot at an iris smaller/bigger number than f/8).
You mean, a bigger f-stop number/smaller aperture? Or just stick to to f8 period?
-EDWIN
Edwin Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 11:07 AM   #34
Regular Crew

I think he means don't close down more than f8, i.e. f12, f11, f16 or whatever.

It is okay to open up (go with a smaller f-stop).
Jim Exton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 01:24 PM   #35
Trustee

Barry was reffering to closing down (increasing the f-stop above f8) on the aperture will result in too much diffraction; thus possibly making the lens/aperture the limiting factor of resolution.

Steve
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 01:47 PM   #36
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

f stop language

open up = means increase the light that passes thru the iris = F2 is larger/bigger then F8 because it lets more light hit the film/CCD ..

close down = means decrease the light that passes thru iris = F16 is smaller then F2 because it lets less light hit the film/CCD
Don Donatello is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders