HVX200 Reviews are not focusing on what's important - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old January 5th, 2006, 10:23 PM   #76
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pappas
The H1 can be rich too in color. You can adjust all this internally. The H1 comes to you pretty flat, so do Canons D-SLR's which I use.

LINK to XLH1 frames etc: http://www.pbase.com/Arrfilms

Michael Pappas
Arrfilms@hotmail.com
PappasArts & Arrfilms Main site
http://www.pbase.com/Arrfilms
http://www.PappasArts.com
http://www.Myspace.com/
Actually I have quite a bit of experience with Canon D Slr's and I'd have to say the opposite, they usually come with quite a vivid color setting as the default vs. lets say a nikon.
Alexander Nikishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:59 AM   #77
Major Player

Quote:
<<<<<All in all the amount of noise seemed pretty close to what you get at DV resolution on a DVX. So it's really nothing to worry about - people have been shooting great stuff with the DVX for years.>>>>>

IMAGE--IMAGE---IMAGE.............. That's important.... I like the HVX200, but let's get real and dump the Kool Aid bowl over and sit around the table and have an honest discussion over beers.

I have a big issue with this statement. Those ccd's should be cleaner and better than what is in a DVX. There is a "H" in the HVX for HD not a "D" in DVX for DV.]
Michael, I didn't see this thread until today but seeing as I wrote the line you're reacting to I figured I should jump in.

First off - as far as how I wrote mainly about the ergonomics of the camera in comparison to the DVX - it was due to the fact that that was all I could really do that night. We didn't have proper monitoring at Mike's place, and I was lucky to have a few hours to check out the camera. Never having used it before the first hour of that time was spent just going through the menus and learning the set up before we even shot a single frame. So naturally, that's mainly what I wrote about.

Now about my comment about the 'noise'
I found the level of noise to be comparable with a DVX. It's not scientific, it's not a hard fast test, it is my opinion. It was my impression. As I said at the end of the entire piece, it was my subjective opinion based on the little time I had with the camera. Now, as far as to whether or not that level of noise is something to worry about? I don't think it is, but again that's my opinion.
Obviously you have yours. No big deal

I said the image had some noise.
I also mentioned that it isn't accurate to call this a 6,000 camera seeing as it only shoots DV out of the box. It should be called an 8K camera realistically.
I also said it would be a waste to get this camera if you don't plan on using P2 cards or a Firestore.
I also mentioned a few things I thought were bad about the ergonomics.

Yes, i said that for what it was it was going to be a hard camera to beat - but I haven't tested the XLH1 yet.

My point is for the price I think this camera seems pretty nice.
I was able to shoot with it some more today (outdoors, daylight) but haven't had a chance to see any of todays footage - hopefully I'll pick it up from Mike tomorrow.

And by the way, no one ever said this was a structured test. It was presented exactly as what it was - a first impression from someone who was handed the camera to try out.
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 01:46 AM   #78
Regular Crew

Hi Michael,

Yes that is from the big screen at L P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
Michael, is that fourth picture on that HVX200 filmout at LASER
PACIFIC HOLLYWOOD article a picture of a projecting screen or a monitor? I’m talking the one with the beautiful Asian girl. I think I understood it was from the projecting screen, but I wanted to make sure. In case it’s a picture of the screen, how big was it and what mode 720p or 1080p?
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 02:51 AM   #79
Regular Crew

here;s info about new sanyo HD camera hd1

http://www.sanyodigital.com/HD1/features.html

http://www.sanyodigital.com/interactive_demos.html

.. sounds too good for $800
Jung Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 05:09 AM   #80
Trustee

It's only an 8k camera if you include P2, which isn't anything to do with the camera head.

As Walter pointed out the Varicam was also known for noise issues, although I don't know what the situation is with the recent updated version.

In any case, you guys should be happy. You get high def grain and noise thus making it more 'filmlike' ;-)
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 06:34 AM   #81
Trustee

Quote:
Hi Michael,

Yes that is from the big screen at L P.
Thanks. How big is that screen?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 07:19 AM   #82
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham
It's only an 8k camera if you include P2, which isn't anything to do with the camera head.
My point is that at 6K it's an awfully expensive DV tape camera - nothing more.
So any discussion of HD image quality is sort of moot, seeing as you can't get those images without spending the additional money.
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #83
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Nikishin
Actually I have quite a bit of experience with Canon D Slr's and I'd have to say the opposite, they usually come with quite a vivid color setting as the default vs. lets say a nikon.
Yup - I agree... Canon always pops out (silky & smooth) while Nikon has always been flat (i like it better, as it opens up creative opp)

ram

http://www.wizedot.com
Ram Ganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #84
Regular Crew

Am I to believe the HVX DVD was shot on the HVX because I noticed the noise in the black areas right away, I don't notice this with the DVX. Once again my "wait-n-see" decision proves to be right on. Not that the noise would make me not buy it but I'm going with the Sony and then I'm move up to the HVX. I love Panasonic and Sony colors. In the end I'll probably end up with a Panasonic and a Canon H1 with a 16mm or 35mm lens if this is possible. So it would be an H1 for around $5000.

-Nate
Nathan Brendan Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 04:53 PM   #85
Regular Crew

Hi luis, sorry if that came across the wrong way. I didn't intend it to if it did. I just expect in an HD camera that the ccd's be better than what goes into an SD camera. That was my point. But again there was no attack torwards you. Your Luis, I wouldn't do that to you.... :-)

pappas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Caffesse
Michael, I didn't see this thread until today but seeing as I wrote the line you're reacting to I figured I should jump in.

First off - as far as how I wrote mainly about the ergonomics of the camera in comparison to the DVX - it was due to the fact that that was all I could really do that night. We didn't have proper monitoring at Mike's place, and I was lucky to have a few hours to check out the camera. Never having used it before the first hour of that time was spent just going through the menus and learning the set up before we even shot a single frame. So naturally, that's mainly what I wrote about.

Now about my comment about the 'noise'
I found the level of noise to be comparable with a DVX. It's not scientific, it's not a hard fast test, it is my opinion. It was my impression. As I said at the end of the entire piece, it was my subjective opinion based on the little time I had with the camera. Now, as far as to whether or not that level of noise is something to worry about? I don't think it is, but again that's my opinion.
Obviously you have yours. No big deal

I said the image had some noise.
I also mentioned that it isn't accurate to call this a 6,000 camera seeing as it only shoots DV out of the box. It should be called an 8K camera realistically.
I also said it would be a waste to get this camera if you don't plan on using P2 cards or a Firestore.
I also mentioned a few things I thought were bad about the ergonomics.

Yes, i said that for what it was it was going to be a hard camera to beat - but I haven't tested the XLH1 yet.

My point is for the price I think this camera seems pretty nice.
I was able to shoot with it some more today (outdoors, daylight) but haven't had a chance to see any of todays footage - hopefully I'll pick it up from Mike tomorrow.

And by the way, no one ever said this was a structured test. It was presented exactly as what it was - a first impression from someone who was handed the camera to try out.
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #86
Major Player

Quote:
Hi luis, sorry if that came across the wrong way. I didn't intend it to if it did. I just expect in an HD camera that the ccd's be better than what goes into an SD camera. That was my point. But again there was no attack torwards you. Your Luis, I wouldn't do that to you.... :-)

pappas
No worries, I just wanted to be clear that my write up on HDforIndies was not intended to be taken as a controlled test of the camera. It was a first impression, nothing more.

No worries Michael.
:)

As far as the chips, I guess we won't know for certain how much better they are until Panasonic decides to reveal that the specs. I'm boggled by the fact that they're keeping it secret.
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders