VariZoom controls for the HVX200 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old January 22nd, 2006, 10:18 PM   #1
Sponsor: VariZoom

VariZoom controls for the HVX200

This is Tom from VariZoom. We have the pictures of the new controls for the HVX200 and the DVX100B cameras on the VariZoom site. Only the HVX200 and the DVX100B are capable of wired remote focus and iris control.

The HVX200 and DVX100B camcorders have two jacks one for zoom and one for focus and iris. If you already have a VariZoom control for DVX100 you can still use it on your HVX200 for zoom and add a second control VZ-PFI for focus and Iris. Some videographers will prefer the dual controllers for use on two arms or just to allow another person to pull focus.

We also have an all in one control the Rock-PZFI that allows for zoom, focus, iris adjustment.

The controls allow switching between auto and manual for either zoom or focus. We have been shipping now for several weeks.

You can see them here:

http://www.varizoom.com/products/con...zrockpzfi.html

http://www.varizoom.com/products/controls/vzpfi.html

Tom

www.varizoom.com
Thomas McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 10:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Great, Tom, Thanks!

Can you tell us a little more about the operation? Are iris and focus set by the position of those knobs, or are they spring-loaded "more-open/more closed", "closer focus/farther focus" controls? That is, can the focus be used like a follow focus?

Again, thanks, looks great!
Barry Werger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 10:42 PM   #3

More on controls

Thanks Barry,

Yes, the positions are set. If you go from auto back to manual the iris or focus will change the camera back to the position the knob was last set.

They are not spring loaded they are single turn. One full turn and you have run the entire range.

Panasonic did a great job with these cameras and all works very well.

You can use marks on the control for pulling focus and they will be accurate everytime.

Tom

www.varizoom.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Werger
Great, Tom, Thanks!

Can you tell us a little more about the operation? Are iris and focus set by the position of those knobs, or are they spring-loaded "more-open/more closed", "closer focus/farther focus" controls? That is, can the focus be used like a follow focus?

Again, thanks, looks great!
Old January 22nd, 2006, 10:50 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Great! That's very good news indeed.
Barry Werger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 10:51 PM   #5
Regular Crew

As usual Tom,

You make awesome gear. I know if I have a HVX200, your ( VZ - RockPZFI ) will be in my tool set for sure......

Tom, is it possible for I to attach a larger wheel ( slips over maybe ) to the focus knob so the rotations are longer and slowing down the speed of the focus changes?

Link:
http://www.pbase.com/arrfilms

Michael Pappas
Arrfilms@hotmail.com
PappasArts & Arrfilms Main site

CONTACT VIA AOL INSTANT MESSENGER
AT { PAPPASARTS2 }

XLH1 and HVX200 frame grabs and news here:
http://www.pbase.com/Arrfilms

http://www.PappasArts.com
http://www.Myspace.com/PappasArts
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 11:20 PM   #6

VariZoom HVX200 control

Thanks Michael,

It certainly possible. I don't think this style control is well suited for a or large knob. Too much leverage and something is gonna break. I know some focus wheels are bigger then this entire control.

I'll make something up and run it by you in a few weeks.

Thanks,

Tom

www.varizoom.com
Old February 16th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #7
Major Player

repeatable focus marks?

Tom:
I'm thrilled to hear this. I was under the impression (from my limited experience with an XL1) that with these auto-focus, marks-free lenses, there wasn't any way to reliably hit a spot every time. Is this possible with a varizoom because it's actuating the servo directly, rather than providing the loosey-goosey servo input that the focus ring provides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas McKay
Thanks Barry,

Yes, the positions are set. If you go from auto back to manual the iris or focus will change the camera back to the position the knob was last set.

They are not spring loaded they are single turn. One full turn and you have run the entire range.

Panasonic did a great job with these cameras and all works very well.

You can use marks on the control for pulling focus and they will be accurate everytime.

Tom

www.varizoom.com
Scott Auerbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 09:47 PM   #8
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Auerbach
Tom:
I'm thrilled to hear this. I was under the impression (from my limited experience with an XL1) that with these auto-focus, marks-free lenses, there wasn't any way to reliably hit a spot every time. Is this possible with a varizoom because it's actuating the servo directly, rather than providing the loosey-goosey servo input that the focus ring provides?
Can't answer specifically about the VariZoom, but I can say that there's nothing "loosey-goosey" about the way the HVX's focus and zoom rings work.

The zoom ring is a direct manual control, not a free-spinning type. It's a physical mechanical linkage to the lens assembly.

The focus ring is not a physical linkage, but it acts like one. The focus ring is extremely repeatable and precise. It's nothing like what other cameras have; you can set tape marks on the lens and hit your marks every time, regardless of how fast or slow you move the ring. And with the distance readouts in the LCD and viewfinder down to almost the inch, you may find that the focus ring is every bit as workable as a "true manual" focus ring.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #9
Major Player

Not yet owning the camera (and only having had about 15 minutes in the store...still waiting for a visit from the Panasonic sales rep with gear to really evaluate), I didn't realize that the distance readouts were displayed. Excellent. My only frame of reference for servo-controlled focus was my XL1, which is very much a hunt-and-pray focus control, in my opinion. Maybe I just never got used to it (I mostly shoot BetaSP), but I never really felt in control of focus with the Canon.

Thanks for the info.

Next thought: Can the viewfinder display be sent to an external monitor, as on my Beta? This would allow a varizoom assistant to actually see the distance readout as he worked, without crowding over the DP to see the flip-out LCD, or relying on tape marks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
The focus ring is not a physical linkage, but it acts like one. The focus ring is extremely repeatable and precise. It's nothing like what other cameras have; you can set tape marks on the lens and hit your marks every time, regardless of how fast or slow you move the ring. And with the distance readouts in the LCD and viewfinder down to almost the inch, you may find that the focus ring is every bit as workable as a "true manual" focus ring.
Scott Auerbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 05:38 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thomas, is there any way to extend the 40" cord of the Varizoom?
Nikial Kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Ah I see you offer extension cables, nice. But, would these extensions..

http://www.varizoom.com/products/acc...vzextlanc.html

Also work for the VZ - RockPZFI and the HVX Thomas?
Old February 18th, 2006, 03:56 AM   #12
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Auerbach
My only frame of reference for servo-controlled focus was my XL1, which is very much a hunt-and-pray focus control, in my opinion. Maybe I just never got used to it (I mostly shoot BetaSP), but I never really felt in control of focus with the Canon.
There is no similarity whatsoever between how the Canon lens works, and how the HVX focus ring works. If you're used to the Canon servo focus control, the HVX focus ring will seem heaven-sent. :)

Quote:
Next thought: Can the viewfinder display be sent to an external monitor, as on my Beta? This would allow a varizoom assistant to actually see the distance readout as he worked, without crowding over the DP to see the flip-out LCD, or relying on tape marks.
Yes it can. Just go to the display menu and turn video->OSD to "on".
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
There is no similarity whatsoever between how the Canon lens works, and how the HVX focus ring works. If you're used to the Canon servo focus control, the HVX focus ring will seem heaven-sent. :)
While I agree that it is much better than the XL1 focus system the only drawback I can see is it feels like you have to travel a longer distance to get from focus "a" to focus "b". I never liked the Canon servos so I am not sticking up for them at all. But having used the Canon manual lens nothing compares to real focus controls. The DVX is a close second and the HVX feels like it should be 3rd. I only rank it 3rd because compared to the DVX it feels like I have to spin the ring a lot farther to get a similar throw in focus to the DVX.

To clarify, I ditched my XL2 and was using a DVX for 2 months prior to the HVX arriving. I got used to the DVX focus system and was expecting the HVX to be about the same. When I got the HVX I found I had to re-train myself to this focus system. It is not better or worse, but different....at least to me. However I am now getting very used to it and I am loving it.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 05:24 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Thomas, would these extensions..

http://www.varizoom.com/products/acc...vzextlanc.html

Also work for the VZ - RockPZFI and the HVX?
Old February 20th, 2006, 10:14 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Works Great

Just a note to say we've been using this piece for the last few weeks and it has been working great! (Zoom/Focus/Iris). Thanks for a solid product.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders