8G P2 Cards Price drop at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old February 2nd, 2006, 01:17 PM   #1
New Boot

8G P2 Cards Price drop

$1400 at panasonic.com. Got my camera today, good thing thety had no cards in stock.
Joe Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 02:29 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

I can't believe it!! Talk about being hood-winked. I'm very glad to see the price become more reasonable, but holy cow... how unfair to the initial customers with such an inflated original price - only to drop it a few weeks later. Thanks for the bad P.R. move, Panny.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 02:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

First people complain about the high prices of P2, now it's the low prices of P2, c'mon now.
Nikial Kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 02:56 PM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikial Kabel
First people complain about the high prices of P2, now it's the low prices of P2, c'mon now.
My point is, if Panasonic dropped the price of the cards in less than one month of the initial release then they shouldn't have sold them for such an inflated price originally.

Normally what I've seen with any new equipment is the price doesn't start to fall until 6 months or even a year after the product has been on the shelves. How many people are out there that literally JUST purchased their cards only to be smacked by this price drop days later. See my point?

Panasonic makes incredible hardware, of which I'm a happy owner, but their marketing strategy makes me ill.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 03:05 PM   #5
Major Player

Ouch. Bye bye $1200. It was nice knowing you. I wish I could have used you for something else, but that's now history. Unless I return my HVX200+(2) 8GB cards to BHphoto that's on it's way today. :)
Old February 2nd, 2006, 03:06 PM   #6
Major Player

Heh.

I guess I'll go ahead and get 2 8GB cards instead of the 2 4GB ones then... I kinda figured this would happen anyway. Seeing how I could import 8GB cards from Japan for less than $1700. Panny should have been on top of things a bit better and adjusted the price with the release of the HVX. They announced the $2195 MSRP for 8GB cards over a year ago! They dropped the price on 4GB cards a while back, you'd think they'd adjust the 8's... Most good dealers will honor price drops on merchandise if it happens within a week or two of purchase, I know if I had bought a couple 8GB cards last week for $2K, I'd be yelling at my dealer and Panny a little bit.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 03:34 PM   #7
Inner Circle

If not a 'rebate' on already purchased cards, than at least a deep discount for new cards bought within the next X months. "Show proof of purchase on the high priced cards, and get an equal number of DISCOUNTED LOW priced cards" That way, sort of like income averaging or stocks, you can still get value for your money, they can still sell cards, and everyone moves forward happy.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 04:12 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikial Kabel
It's not the price change, but the timing.

If you got your camera yesterday, and the priced dropped today, who wouldn't be concerned.

Especially given it's just been a month since shipping commenced.

Some people lost quite a bit of money because of an unusually timed, and substantial price change, don't you think?
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 05:20 PM   #9
Specialized Communications

I know we are honoring the new price on all the pre-orders, I'm sure other dealers will do the same.

David Linetsky
President
Specialized Communications Corp.
20940 Twin Springs Drive
Smithsburg, MD 21783-1510 USA
800-359-1858
301-790-0103
Fax: 301-790-0173
davidl@spec-comm.com
www.spec-comm.com
David Linetsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 05:32 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev Dinkins
Ouch. Bye bye $1200. It was nice knowing you. I wish I could have used you for something else, but that's now history. Unless I return my HVX200+(2) 8GB cards to BHphoto that's on it's way today. :)
That's what I would do. Return it. Then reorder at the cheaper price.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 05:47 PM   #11
Major Player

I'm going to keep the camera and taking this offline.

Last edited by Steev Dinkins; February 2nd, 2006 at 07:35 PM.
Steev Dinkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 11:46 PM   #12
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev Dinkins
I'm going to keep the camera and taking this offline.
Sick 'em, Steve.

BTW - is that a Mackie board on the top of your rack in the studio photos? You've got a nice rack! Wait, that doesn't sound right....

(big laughs)
Old February 3rd, 2006, 01:29 AM   #13
Trustee

Good to see price drop. ;-)

But I still think the price is too high.
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 01:46 PM   #14
Regular Crew

deleted message
Ram Ganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 11:01 PM   #15
Trustee

Steev Dinkins, I know how you feel

I have to admit that I laughed reading yout post about loosing 1200 dollars. This reminds me about Apple doing something similar to the IMAC, releasing an Intel version about 1 to 2 months after their last IBM chipped MAC. I almost bought one and glad I didn’t because I wouldn’t have been able to sleep for several nights thinking about it.
I earnestly hope you will recover from this experience. I am starting to worry myself because I plan on getting the HVX200 by next month but I fear that they will do the same thing again.
I have to agree with Richard Alvarez, they need to do something to makeup for what they did unlike Apple because this incident may prevent people from buying more than one card. I can imagine all of the hate mail they are getting right now because of this.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders