8G P2 Cards Price drop - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old February 4th, 2006, 03:39 AM   #16
Barry Wan Kenobi

Jan said on the Cow that anyone with 8gb cards should contact their reseller for price protection. You shouldn't have a problem.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 08:01 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Prices drop . . .

Hey guys, this is high technology stuff. Prices drop all the time and they are rarely timed to my personal buying plans. The P2 is basically just memory chips and that's a big market with lots of price drivers (mostly down). How many of us have bought a computer only to find that a small time later something better was available for the same money or the same thing was discounted as the new thing is getting ready to be released.

We should just be glad that the trend is in the downward direction.
Jim McQuaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #18

My Panasonic rep has confirmed that credits will be issued to our dealer account for 8 gig cards already sold.

Frankly, i'm a bit surprised that that Panasonic is offering this credit for the price drop.

The only other time that price protection has been extended to us was for un-sold inventory purchased with-in 30 days of a price drop.

Most of the time, there is no price protection at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
Jan said on the Cow that anyone with 8gb cards should contact their reseller for price protection. You shouldn't have a problem.
Terry Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 12:40 PM   #19
Trustee

I can't agree more.

In computer industry, every 18 months for the same amount money you can buy double performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McQuaid
Hey guys, this is high technology stuff. Prices drop all the time and they are rarely timed to my personal buying plans. The P2 is basically just memory chips and that's a big market with lots of price drivers (mostly down). How many of us have bought a computer only to find that a small time later something better was available for the same money or the same thing was discounted as the new thing is getting ready to be released.

We should just be glad that the trend is in the downward direction.
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Nixon
Frankly, i'm a bit surprised that that Panasonic is offering this credit for the price drop.
It's because they flubbed up and forgot to adjust 8GB P2 pricing when they released the camera and adjusted the 4GB pricing. Two weeks ago, we could buy the 8GB cards here in the USA (if you could find them) for about $2150... Or we could import them from Japan and pay a fair mark-up, import taxes, shipping, etc.. all for less than $1700.

It also goes along with the camera being new and Panasonic trying to keep their customers happy. And most reputable dealers, who stand behind the products they sell, will offer some form of price protection. I buy tens of thousands of dollars worth of computer components each year. I won't buy from any distributor/dealer that won't offer me at least a 2 week price guaranty. The last thing I need is for me to buy a new LCD monitor for a client, only to have it sit in my shop for 10 days before the client finally picks it up or comes back from vacation or whatever and in the meantime, the price drops by 15% and then the client doesn't want it anymore.

Even B&M stores like BestBuy, Circuit City, etc.. usually offer comparable price guaranties. My local BB stores will beat any competitors' price on an item by 10% at the time of purchase and up to 10 days after purchase.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 12:22 PM   #21
Go Go Godzilla

Another price drop

Not that it matters too much since nobody has any yet, but B&H just dropped the price of the 8gb cards by $50. Click on the "email me a better price" link and it's $1349.95
Old February 15th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane
Not that it matters too much since nobody has any yet, but B&H just dropped the price of the 8gb cards by $50. Click on the "email me a better price" link and it's $1349.95
Yeah, I have one on order there for that price. I have the HVX200 taken care of, I just need a P2 card to go with it. I can find the 4GB cards, but I'd rather get two 8GB cards... Nowhere to be found. Everyone keeps saying they should have them soon, but that's the best answer I'm getting. I do have a source that can import me one from Japan and I can probably have it within 3 days, but after shipping and import taxes, etc.. I'm looking at a bit over $1700. So I'm going to just wait it out a few more days and see what happens... I don't really want to buy any 4GB cards, but I can pick those up pretty easy.
Old February 15th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #23
Major Player

FWIW, Spec-Comm has an even lower price on 8GB cards than B&H, but their waitlist for them is pretty long.
Old February 15th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #24
New Boot

I'm looking at a bit over $1700.

Probably better to wait . . .
Paul Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 12:34 PM   #25
Major Player

Woo hoo!! Just got my $1295 credit back for the price drop from BH. :D :D :D
Old February 16th, 2006, 06:49 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev Dinkins
Woo hoo!! Just got my $1295 credit back for the price drop from BH. :D :D :D

I'll give you another $1295 if you send me one of your 8GB cards. :)

I think Panny is holding out on us so we have to buy the remaining 4GB cards in dealer inventories. There's no reason 8GB cards are this scarce. Spec-Comm has 4GB cards by the ton and I may just have to do that. Although they quoted me less than $1300 for an 8GB card, but I have to get on their extra long list and wait...
Old February 16th, 2006, 07:26 PM   #27
Barry Wan Kenobi

Well, there's one potential reason they're scarce -- the BBC is using HVX's with P2 cards for all their ENG coverage of the Turin Olympics. I wouldn't be surprised if they sent a healthy amount of 8gb cards over to Italy to facilitate that effort.
Old February 16th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #28
Trustee

Hi Barry,

Do you know how many HVX200 BBC are using?

TIA

Regards
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
Well, there's one potential reason they're scarce -- the BBC is using HVX's with P2 cards for all their ENG coverage of the Turin Olympics. I wouldn't be surprised if they sent a healthy amount of 8gb cards over to Italy to facilitate that effort.
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 08:01 PM   #29
Barry Wan Kenobi

No, I sure don't. All I know is that I was told the BBC were using them, and when I asked people over there about it I was sent this image of a newspaper article talking about it:
http://www.fiftv.com/HVX200/bbc-winter.jpg

Also there have been reports from people in Italy saying that they've seen BBC crews using them at the games.
Old February 20th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #30
Trustee

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the information.

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders