monitoring from MacBook Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old February 16th, 2006, 09:32 PM   #1
Major Player

monitoring from MacBook Pro

Pardon my ignorance, but having always been an Avid guy, I'm still at the "sticking my toes in the water" part of figuring out how I'll make an HVX and FCP5 work. At this point, my plan was to load FCP on a new MacBookPro, and have external mass SATA storage on a PCIexpress/34 card for the throughput. So the question I have is: what's the best way to get video out to a broadcast monitor, since a Kona would use the same PCIe slot that the external drives are on. (And while we're at it, since I don't need to worry about the capture side of things with P2 data transfer, is there a cheaper, video-out-only solution? Or would I regret not having Kona's additional RT processing power?)
Scott Auerbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Scott,

I think you've got your hardware confused. The MacBook Pro is not a tower, it's a laptop. You can't connect a KONA card to a laptop. PCI-X or PCIe slots are strictly the domain of towers.

As for Express Card/34 adapters the only thing I've seen so far (and it's not on the market yet) are CF card adapters, nothing to connect external drives - not yet anyway.

The video-out solution on a MacBook Pro is one of it's shortcomings; it's the reason why many of us are lamenting the loss of an S-Video out port.

Keep in mind the Universal version of FCP is not shipping yet and nobody knows just how it will react in the Rosetta environment in the MacBook Pro until users get it and have time to test it. I'd say you've got at least 4-6 months before that combination will have ample time to prove itself as a stable platform.

If you want to use a laptop-type configuration for capturing and to have video output options other than DVI connectivity you'd need a PowerBook, but get one fast since they're no longer in production and most retailers have or are running out of stock.
Old February 17th, 2006, 11:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I was trying to do the DVCproHD firewire way yesterday. I couldn't get it to work. I had the HVX200 hooked up to the powerbook with the 1394 firewire cable. Then had the S-Video cable connected from the HVX200 a broadcast monitor. This was the set up that worked with the Canon XL2. But the xl2 had "VCR mode" where as the HVX has "Thumbnail" mode. I don't know what setting I have to have the HVX200 on to edit footage on my powerbook and see it back on my monitor, can anyone help me?
Cassidy Bisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 01:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Didn't have my Mac hardware confused, but I did have my cards confused. Thanks. I knew that Kona was a PCIexpress, which I thought was the same as Express/34. Nope. Thanks for the heads-up on that.

I was aware of the usefulness of the current Powerbook, but thought the MacBookPro might have the same capability shortly with the availability of more 34 cards. (The Express34 external drive card is expected in the next 4-8 weeks, I'm told)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane
Scott,

I think you've got your hardware confused. The MacBook Pro is not a tower, it's a laptop. You can't connect a KONA card to a laptop. PCI-X or PCIe slots are strictly the domain of towers.

As for Express Card/34 adapters the only thing I've seen so far (and it's not on the market yet) are CF card adapters, nothing to connect external drives - not yet anyway.

If you want to use a laptop-type configuration for capturing and to have video output options other than DVI connectivity you'd need a PowerBook, but get one fast since they're no longer in production and most retailers have or are running out of stock.
Scott Auerbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 03:53 AM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy Bisher
I was trying to do the DVCproHD firewire way yesterday. I couldn't get it to work. I had the HVX200 hooked up to the powerbook with the 1394 firewire cable. Then had the S-Video cable connected from the HVX200 a broadcast monitor. This was the set up that worked with the Canon XL2. But the xl2 had "VCR mode" where as the HVX has "Thumbnail" mode. I don't know what setting I have to have the HVX200 on to edit footage on my powerbook and see it back on my monitor, can anyone help me?
It will work the way you describe; you just have to turn the thumbnail screen off. There's a button on top of the camera that lets you do this.

Note: this will work for firewire input/s-video output. Won't work for component output.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 08:44 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Barry, I will try this..
Old February 18th, 2006, 09:43 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
It will work the way you describe; you just have to turn the thumbnail screen off. There's a button on top of the camera that lets you do this.

Note: this will work for firewire input/s-video output. Won't work for component output.
wow, you'd think it would make more sense to also view via component out to a production monitor since this camera is mainly marketed as a HD camera. are there any other workarounds for realtime previews from fcp to a monitor w/ component inputs? barry, you think this can be easily remedied w/ a future firmware update? i know w/ a G5 tower, purchase an aja or decklink card to accomplish this but what about us powerbook users?
Jaser Stockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaser Stockert
wow, you'd think it would make more sense to also view via component out to a production monitor since this camera is mainly marketed as a HD camera.
Yes, that would be great, we have a high def sony monitor and I am uncertain what the correct way to hook this up would be. I can always use an S.D monitor and edit in letter box box mode, but to edit and "see" HD would be great.
Old February 21st, 2006, 04:26 PM   #9
Regular Crew

noah over at the cow forum says it is possible viewing w/ a hd monitor via component out. is this true? i have a sony pvm-14L5 which shows full rez hd so i'm wondering if i can have realtime previewing from final cut pro. i don't have the camera yet. anyone can confirm this? thanks.
Jaser Stockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 08:20 PM   #10
Regular Crew

yes it does have a component out... the camera comes with a new color code.. instead of red, white and yellow inputs for traditional SD video, the colors come in red, green and blue inputs...

This is the only image that i could find online.. although it doesn't look exactly like this it's really close..

http://bluejeanscable.com/store/rgbhv/hd153rca.jpg
Cassidy Bisher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders