My First Day Out With The Hvx200 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old February 21st, 2006, 08:58 PM   #16
Inner Circle

You might try putting some clips up at video.google.com.

As far as I know, it's free, and basically without any limitations.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 04:08 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I took your advice and uploaded video to google. I have no idea how long it will take for them to make the video available on the web. I will let you guys know when the video is posted.

I did a 2 minute clip made up of several shots edited to music. It is a compressed clip, but still very high quality.

I also uploaded about a 1/2 dozen short clips at full resolution.

All of the clips will take a long time to download, but if you can download while working on other things, it may be worth it.
Jay Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 05:59 PM   #18
Inner Circle

That's great Jay. Glad to hear it worked (apparently). I'll look forward to downloading the clips when they are available from Google's server.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 06:07 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Morris
The noise is in the mid-dark areas. It's hard to explain. Looking at it closely, things that fall off in the dark blacks are clean and things that are properly exposed look good, but somewhere in the low middle is extra noise. I've shown the footage to friends in the industry and they are very impressed with this camera.
That sounds very odd, and I don't think I've ever heard of a similar effect. It certainly doesn't sound like camera 'noise' in the normal sense, which would affect the whole picture equally. (Though be more visible in some places than others.) If I understand you correctly, then if you were to point the camera at a plain surface, and gradually increase exposure up from fully black, there would come a threshold when the picture would suddenly become noisy, then go quiet again as the level increased further? Is that right?

Is it possible you just have a faulty camera? Have you access to another to do a comparison?
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 09:31 PM   #20
Regular Crew

David,
I think that my camera is fine. It's something other HVX200 owners have noticed, too. I'm not sure how to describe it. I've downloaded some compressed files from the web and the compression attacks certain areas of the image (not the entire thing). The noise from the HVX200 is similar, but of course, it does not look that bad. Most will be fine with the noise, but it did bother me a little. I know what you are talking about as far as what gain noise looks like. Gain adds noise to the entire image. This is a different kind of noise. Perhaps gradient mid areas are harder for this camera to capture. There is no noise in the fully exposed and fully underexposed (black) areas. It's just in between (closer to dark than white). As I may have mentioned before, someone thought that shooting in 1080 mode will clean up the image (my early tests were all in the 720 24pn mode). I will test this out this weekend and post my findings.
All being said, I am very impressed with this camera. It looks a lot like film and that's the look I'm going for.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 09:32 PM   #21
Regular Crew

It would be great if others with the camera who have seen this noise would comment on it. I don't want to come across as being the crazy noise guy!
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:11 PM   #22

You aren't Jay! You just have eagle scout eyes. And your tests are welcome and so much appreciated. You are serving this community and not a biased one. The noise that you are seeing it's not a nouvelle despite our disappointment. And it's true that the noisy midtones (1/3" CCD limits with so film-like gamma) are killing that camera for low lighting purposes, specially to 35mm.

Nevertheless, are you trying the most noiseless settings? Or even a noise reduction filter at post? Maybe it works!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders