How's the wait coming? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old February 24th, 2006, 10:14 PM   #1
Major Player

How's the wait coming?

How's the wait going for all those on the waiting lists? Are they coming in--or is this "November release" camera going to make most of us wait til April?

Is there any status update on the firewire drive?

Thanks all
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 10:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Cameras are trickling in rather slow... It's possible to pick one up now just by calling around, you'll probably find one if you call enough places. Don't bother calling B&H, EVS and other large retailers because their waitlists are loooooooong. Finding a camera isn't all that difficult, but finding P2 cards to go with it is a real challenge right now... It took me several days to track down a couple 4GB cards. I ended up buying the last two in stock at Henry's in Canada and had them shipped to Colorado.

As for the firewire drive (FireStore) no real updates on that or the Cineporter drive either. I'm guessing we'll see working prototypes and possibly have tentative release dates and prices by the time NAB rolls around. Seems like a long time to wait, but most people who pre-ordered should finally be getting their cameras by then.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 10:39 PM   #3
Major Player

By that time I wouldn't be surprised if JVC has thrown into the ring some update to the one that started it all.
Old February 24th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy Moore
By that time I wouldn't be surprised if JVC has thrown into the ring some update to the one that started it all.
Very true. Or maybe they will have just been able to coordinate getting "HDV-720p24" added to the FCP "Easy Set-Up" with Apple by then.

Betsy, on your question above. I had to do some looking around. The place I am getting mine from was about the 10th store I talked to over the phone.
Old February 24th, 2006, 10:49 PM   #5
Major Player

I've found one place but if I buy it'll be the first time I've ever bought a camcorder for sticker price--that's going to hurt:)
Old February 24th, 2006, 11:49 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
I've found one place but if I buy it'll be the first time I've ever bought a camcorder for sticker price--that's going to hurt:)
Most places that have it in stock and available (without a significant waitlist) are going to charge full MSRP. Essentially they know that people want these things and will pay the price. They also don't have a significant waitlist so total sales volume for them will be rather low. And finally, they know you probably won't buy much of anything else from them because you're only calling them to see if you can score an HVX200. Bigger, more well known dealers that have the huge lists are selling cheap because they will have a high sales volume. They also have a system in place where a good portion of their customers are ordering packages with at least a filter or two, a couple P2 cards, often extra batteries and tripods and mics, etc..

So far, the best deal I've seen for an HVX200 is about $5600 with a 4GB card plus shipping, but that same place is price gouging for additional P2 cards, which they don't have in stock and for other accessories as well. The best I've seen for the camera alone is $5475 from two places, but they're gouging people on shipping charges and P2/accessory charges too. IMO, if you have a need or use for the camera now, then paying the extra $500 or so depending on what discounted pre-orders you may find is somewhat trivial. Although, if you're going to be making payments or carrying an interest-bearing credit card balance for this thing, I would advise holding off the purchase until you know you can get P2 cards with it too. This thing is nothing more than a glorified DVX without the P2 cards. But it does shoot exceellent native 16:9 anamorphic DV. :)

I paid the full $5995 MSRP + $75 for FedEx overnight shipping as I have projects I want to use this thing on. But they didn't have any P2 cards to go with it... No big deal, EVS and others had cards at the time. But I was a fool and passed thinking I would hunt down a couple 8GB cards. None to be had though... So I decided to grab some 4GB cards anyway, but everyone (almost) had sold out during my few days of stupidity. It took me several days to hunt down more cards. And by chance, I was directed to them by someone else here (kudos to Robert Lane)... Henry's (who was out of stock when I called them only two days prior) now had two 4GB cards available so I snagged them.
Old February 25th, 2006, 01:20 AM   #7
Go Go Godzilla

Betsy,

If you don't need a body right away, I'd wait at least another month. Most of us, like myself, who have been tormented by the spotty release of bodies and P2 cards are choosing to deal with the pain because we've planned projects around the HVX's capabilities and, the original "promised" availability dates given by Panasonic.

We all saw how the P2 cards - the 8gb especially - took such a large drop in price in such short order. If you want to save money buying an HVX system then as I say, wait at least a month and I'll bet you'll see prices falling again on both bodies and P2 media.

It's always the game of supply and demand, and right now demand outweighs supply by about 500%.
Old February 25th, 2006, 02:15 AM   #8
Major Player

I'm sure other memory card makers like PNY, Sandisk and Viking will jump into the game at some point. But I would guess that will happen after enough HVX200's ship to justify their efforts and Panny starts to get other P2 cameras out there on both the high and low ends of their product spectrum.

P2 cards are an industry standard PCMCIA 32bit Cardbus form factor, but you still need the Panasonic software to talk to the card with your PC/Mac.
Old February 28th, 2006, 03:59 PM   #9
Major Player

Well, it looks like Panny's missed another date! All the stores that promised a February delivery are saying today (Feb 28) "next week"--the same stores that said "next week" last week. If only Panny tells us:)
Old February 28th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #10
Regular Crew

My HVX ships this Friday

I ordered one early in December. I was notified by Spec Com that it will ship on Friday and that I should receive it on Monday. It is the package with 5 4GB cards. It comes with an extra battery also.

Paul
Old February 28th, 2006, 10:53 PM   #11

check again with your dealer for stock.
many cameras were shipped at the end of last week
Terry Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 12:24 AM   #12
Tourist

Quote:
Well, it looks like Panny's missed another date! All the stores that promised a February delivery are saying today (Feb 28) "next week"--the same stores that said "next week" last week. If only Panny tells us:)
Hmmm. I received mine last week.
David Regenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 09:23 AM   #13

My HVX200 and 2 8 GB cards are shipping today from the dealer (Next Day FedEX) and will be in my hands just in time for the weekend. yesssssss........

I got my 250GB G-Drive yesterday (http://www.g-technology.com/Products/G-DRIVEQ.cfm) and am sooooo looking forward to all of this. I also have an empty Lacie d2 extreme 160GB that I'll be exporting footage to. I guess once I have the camera, the next step will be seeing what storage methods/workflows work best (work best for my individual needs at least, as everyone's got their own criteria).
Old March 2nd, 2006, 10:25 AM   #14
New Boot

Mine shipped yesterday, and I ordered it a week before. You just need to call around to various dealers. I did not pay MSRP.
Jeff Putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 09:35 AM   #15

Shortly after I posted above, I got a call back and there was some confusion about the status. So I did not have the HVX in time for the weekend.

BUT... My HVX and 2 8GB cards just arrived this morning and I can't wait to start learning how to use it all.

I'll apologize in advance if this is not appropriate, but I was not able to get the HVX from one of the DVinfo.Net sponsors, even the one that I was 5th on the list with. So I had to do a search and found a place on my own that was an authorized Panasonic dealer. When I was giving the final details of where to ship my HVX, they let me know that they got 7 others in and they also have 8 GB and 4 GB cards.

I will say that the customer service from them has been very good. Even from the initial phone call I made back in January. The owner was very nice and took his time telling me all he knew about the camera and it's availability even back then, when harldy anyone knew.

If you would like the store's information (located in Arkansas) so you can call and buy one of these today just send me an email (located in my profile) and I'll email you the details. By the way, I'm not doing this to get anything out of it from the dealer. I just wanted to help anyone who really wants/needs the camera sooner than later.

As I mentioned above, my apologies if I should not have stated the above, but in this case, where it seems these cameras and P2 cards are so hard to get, I thought this info would be good for anyone who wants a HVX or 8 GB P2 cards today.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders