standard mini DV tapes? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old February 27th, 2006, 07:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

standard mini DV tapes?

quick question. does the AG-HVX200 use standard mini DV tapes?
Dennis Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 08:38 AM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Choose your resources Wisely

Dennis,

The answer to your question is "yes" - which could have been easily obtained if you had gone to the Panasonic website and looked it up, which would have taken the same amount of time to do as it did to log on here and post your question.

A glance at your previous postings shows you have a history of asking questions with answers that were readily available to you had you used your resources properly, such as manufacturers websites or the owners manual to a camera you already own.

This forum is free to it's users. It is not free, however, for it's creator to host and keep alive. Each post takes up space on the server and bandwidth time on the ISP. If membership were a premium meaning, you had to pay for it, then I'd say you could ask any type of question you wanted because you're paying for your time here. However, this is a free service and as such requires that you use common sense and good judgement in it's use so it can remain a free service.

This forum exists to share information that is not readily available anywhere else, to help those troubleshoot problems that do not have obvious answers or to get information and feedback from others about products and services they haven't tried yet.

I am not a moderator however, common sense dictates that questions such as the one posted here don't belong on this forum; while the answer may not have obvious to you, the method for acquiring it's answer is.
Old February 27th, 2006, 08:58 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Well said, Robert. Let's please try not to clutter the forum with questions that are easily answered by referring to the HVX200 brochure. I'd prefer it if we reserved this board for those questions which can't be easily or readily answered, and which spark good discussions about technical understanding and creative applications. Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #4
Regular Crew

a simple yes or no was all i was looking for.
Dennis Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #5
Go Go Godzilla

And that simple "yes" could have been obtained on your own with the same level of effort you put into posting the question here by going to the Panasonic website.

Forums aren't for lazy postings, they're for asking questions that don't have answers anywhere else. If you don't understand this point then you might not belong on this forum.
Old February 27th, 2006, 12:12 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane
Dennis,

The answer to your question is "yes" - which could have been easily obtained if you had gone to the Panasonic website and looked it up, which would have taken the same amount of time to do as it did to log on here and post your question.

Robert, don't worry, we moderators keep track of questions like this, tally them up, and send a bill at the end of the year. That's how we pay for the DVinfo.net Gulfstream jet.
Old February 27th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
Robert, don't worry, we moderators keep track of questions like this, tally them up, and send a bill at the end of the year. That's how we pay for the DVinfo.net Gulfstream jet.
Very cool thread. Also, being the classy people they are, the people behind this site aren't constantly asking you to visit sponsors. I do that as often as possible. Thru the site. I live near B&H,and although I'm not sure how much it helps, when I purchase something there, or contact them with an inquiry, I slip in "DVinfo.net", as my source. Every little bit helps. As was stated earlier, this is not free, in fact can get very expensive. You guys don't get nearly the credit you deserve. Thanks.

Claude Isbell
Claude Isbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Cummins
a simple yes or no was all i was looking for.
I moderate at another forum Dennis, and Robert and Chris are absolutely right. What I've seen is nearly a complete absence of resourcefulness by posters. Instead going out and looking for information, they post a simple question and wait for an answer.

I remember once posting "try MPEG Streamclip for demuxing." The poster who asked the question posted back:

"Where do I find it?"

Having to type out an answer that is readily available by typing a google query yourself is pretty annoying at times.

MTC.
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #9
Major Player

I figured I'd throw in my $0.02 here since I do a lot of moderating at another very large forum. And while everyone is correct that the answer to this simple question could have been found a number of places, we now have to look at what this thread has become.

It has become a pointless exchange of "but I just had a simple question" vs. "you're lazy and stupid" and we probably have a new user here with a bitter taste in his mouth.

And we have all now wasted more bandwidth than necessary and wouldn't be in this situation had someone would have simply replied with the a concise answer, which was still never given to the original author of this thread. Somewhat ironic since bandwidth was part of the "logic" in complaining about the simplistic question in the first place.

And since Dennis never did get his answer, here it is... Yes, it does use mini DV tapes (as has been stated in this thread), but it only records 480i and 480p DV to them. If you want to use DVCPRO/50/HD formats, you must record to P2 memory cards.

Why did I still bother to post the answer? Because, as I've found in the other forum I moderate, even if one does do a search of these forums they may get more than one answer and may not know which answer is correct. Sadly, there's a lot of incorrect info surrounding P2 and the HVX200 posted here as much of it was speculation up until the official users' guide was released and even some since.

But in the end, it's nice if users do put out a little effort and search first -- or better yet, RTFM.

OK, I'm done wasting bandwidth... Maybe Chris or Dylan can send me a bill too. ;) Hehe.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 09:29 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Okay Jeff, that'll be $384. We need to top off the tanks in the Gulfstream... the one that we keep in Belize.

And please review this thread... Robert *did* answer the question. It's the very first sentance in his original reply.

I certainly don't view this as a pointless exchange. It's good to have this sort of thing fleshed out from time to time. While the only "stupid question" around here is the one which is never asked, we do try to temper that open-door policy a bit by asking the original poster to please do his or her share of homework first. That's what product brochures are for, after all. And with operator's manuals readily available for download these days, I strongly agree with you that RTFM should always be the first procedure. Thanks as always, Jeff,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #11
New Boot

Rtfm ????

And RTFM means . . . I know, - Relax To Fine Music, right? :)

I've already Read The Freakin' Manual!

Paul
Paul Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 03:32 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Any chance of closing this thread?
Claude Isbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:45 AM   #13
Regular Crew

thanks a million Jeff, thats exactly what i was looking for! top man!
Dennis Cummins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders