Rock Concert Footage...1080 & 720 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old February 27th, 2006, 01:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Rock Concert Footage...1080 & 720

http://www.motivitypictures.com/hvx200/Jadon_HD.html

I think this is an indications of how great footage looks when the lighting is right.

My partner Cassidy edited the footage. Nice work Cassidy!!! You're FIRED!

David
Old February 27th, 2006, 02:28 PM   #2
Regular Crew

sobbing uncontrollably...
Cassidy Bisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #3
Rextilleon

Very impressive---can you tell us more about the shoot---camera settings, white balance etc-----
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #4
Major Player

Nice looking stuff! How many cameras?

Can you tell us about the color grade? I noticed a couple of high-noise shots- did you- push gain in camera or do something in post? Also noticed that some of the slo-mo shots looked like they were artifically done in post while others looked really clean.

Great job guys!
Old February 27th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Irwin
Nice looking stuff! How many cameras?

Can you tell us about the color grade? I noticed a couple of high-noise shots- did you- push gain in camera or do something in post? Also noticed that some of the slo-mo shots looked like they were artifically done in post while others looked really clean.

Great job guys!
Matt, all of it was post, and yes there was some artificial slow motion shots I did, the ones that were clean were pure 60p. For certain aesthetic reasons I like to take the mids up to an intense level, I know it's noisy but there's something about it that feels right at that moment.
Old February 27th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #6
Regular Crew

It was a 1 camera shoot as well. The footage that is not 60p was recorded at 1080i and downconverted to a 720p timeline in FCP.
Old February 27th, 2006, 04:07 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Well honestly my shoot would be pretty unimpressive to anyone who was at the concert.

I only have one 4GB card. So my record time was about 5 minutes. Who would ever know from the footage? I had to select my shots very quickly and very wisely.

I set up my Hollywood Micro Dolly in front of the stage. I immediately got a couple of track shots...then broke down the track in about 2 minutes. I then relocated for the other shots. It was my friend who was singing and I basically told him I had about 5 minutes worth of footage I could capture and he was actually only playing for abour 30 minutes. So it was all pretty bang bang.

So all that to say. 1 camera. 5 minutes of total footage captured.

My settings were all pretty basica. Cine V curve. Open iris. 1/120 F-stop. White balance on auto. Like I said it's all about great lighting. But combined with a wonderful camera.
Old February 27th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #8
Major Player

Yes! More inspiration! That looks awesome! Gorgeous! I am finding no end to the thrill of this camera.

I have some footage coming up to add to the inspiration pool - hot models. :D But I gotta clear the footage with the photographer.

Start salivating now. :P

Great work David. Keep it comin.

-steev
Old February 27th, 2006, 07:29 PM   #9
Major Player

OMG! That is some damn nice footage there.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 08:58 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy Bisher
For certain aesthetic reasons I like to take the mids up to an intense level, I know it's noisy but there's something about it that feels right at that moment.
I liked it. It plays very well with the subject matter and most importantly, it wasn't excessive.

Again, great looking footage.
Old February 27th, 2006, 10:04 PM   #11
Regular Crew

The light was so dramatic at the concert and the camera captured it VERY well.

Last edited by Cassidy Bisher; February 28th, 2006 at 09:38 AM.
Old February 28th, 2006, 02:56 AM   #12
New Boot

I think that the noisy shots at the beginning of the piece (the c.u.'s of the hand plucking the guitar) look great. They suit the mood of the piece quite well. The grain has a very organic feel to it. Watching it over again makes me wonder if that has to do with the edit. Perhaps if I saw that shot for a longer time I would think differently. Who knows. Again, it does look nice and works well within the cut so I suppose it doesn't matter.

In my opinion, something well lit looks good on any camera, be it super8 or DV. In this case it's good usage of the camera and a tight cut that make it. I'm assuming that the lighting was pretty much taken care of.

I can see why people who are used to the long times provided by tape have complained about the times with p2 cards. However, even for event shooting, p2 simply requires more dicipline and planning. One only needs to look at documentaries and events that are shot on film. The first Woodstock documentary is a great example of this. A more recent example is March of the Penguins. That was shot on an Aaton XTR prod with 800ft mags (about 20 min a load.) So it can be done. It is being done.

I figure with four 4gb cards shot at 720 24p (4gb card x 2 or about 20 min per load so no slow-mo) with a p2 store, covering a concert event is very possible. The time to transfer the cards is about the same as unloading and reloading a mag. The benefit of the card is that it can be done without a camera assistant/loader.

If the client needed end to end coverage of an event that was a couple of hours then perhaps I would go for a tape based medium. However, with an assistant, I think the HVX could be implemented into this workflow.

The one thing I'm wondering is how this footage looks on a bigger screen, specifically the noise on those first shots. Can you comment on this David?

Regards,

Kris.

Last edited by Kris Belchevski; February 28th, 2006 at 06:44 AM.
Kris Belchevski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 04:05 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Belchevski
I can see why people who are used to the long times provided by tape have complained about the times with p2 cards. However, even for event shooting, p2 simply requires more dicipline and planning. One only needs to look at when documentaries and events are shot on film. The first Woodstock documentary is a great example of this. A more recent example is March of the Penguins. That was shot on an Aaton XTR prod with 800ft mags (about 20 min a load.) So is it can be done. It is being done.

I figure with four 4gb cards shot at 720 24p (4gb card x 2 or about 20 min per load so no slow-mo) with a p2 store, covering a concert event is very possible. The time to transfer the cards is about the same as unloading and reloading a mag. The benefit of the card is that it can be done without a camera assistant/loader.
You bring up an interesing point, Kris. Call me crazy, but one of the things that attracted me to this camera is the SHORTER running times. As you said above, it forces you to be more disciplined with your shot selections. One thing that drives me nuts on DV shoots are directors who know that tape is cheap and exploit that fact to get excessive coverage or versions of a take. "Ok keep rolling, now try this... one more time, one more time, one more time, one more time... OK push in, keep rolling, one more time..." Sound familiar to anyone? I think the shorter run-times will force undisciplined directors and DPs to figure out what they need and/or want before they shoot, which is a good thing.
Of course, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:42 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Irwin
it forces you to be more disciplined with your shot selections.
I couldn't agree more, in the time we have shot with this camera, each shot is never arbitrary. We plan it out, especially with track and dolly shots. We light it really well and when we think we have it we shoot. Then we watch it again... (I love this feature) if it isn't perfect we delete it, make refinements and try again.
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Belchevski

The one thing I'm wondering is how this footage looks on a bigger screen, specifically the noise on those first shots. Can you comment on this David?

Regards,

Kris.

Hey Chris...I really don't have an answer for how this will look on a big screen. All I know is they have shot movies on minidv that made it to the theatre so the HD footage is only better. But believe me the amount of noise in that first part is do to blowing out the image. 200% larger maybe? Just an edit decision. All I know is we have burned some of this HD footage to a DVD and it looks fantastic on tvs. The mpeg2 codec responds so much better to all the resolution.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders